Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Packers slants VS 10 yard cushion

THUNDERDOME

Does this worry anybody about next weeks game? The Packers have been running those slants all year and I hope GW doesn't let our guys give those 10 yard cushions. I don't recall seeing many of them today, but I really wasn't looking for them either.

Is this a cause for concern considering how often the Packers throw them?

i think that itll be tougher to throw the slant on our defense if the pack doesn't try to make our linebackers respect the run. if they let our LBs drop into coverage, they can sneak out under those slants and make some plays on those balls. if we can get pressure with our line without blitzing again, then the slants wont be so bad.

if we have to blitz, the slants could cause some problems

So the myth of the 10 yard cushion continues to circulate?

I thought after the Eagles game where we pretty much played man coverage with a ton of bump and run THE ENTIRE GAME put it to rest?

I loved our scheme today. It was simply beautiful and Gregg Williams and the defensive coaching staff deserve major credit. Yes, we played off the recievers, but it was purposely done to force the Lions away from what they love doing... those intermediate routes where they cut towards the middle of the field.

The thing is, the players executed it perfectly. For the first time in a long time, our DBs did their jobs when they were in a position to make a play. Had Sean Taylor not gotten there a second early on that one INT by Fred Smoot it would've been PERFECT execution. But even that play was a great play... the ball just happened to be slow getting there and Taylor was making sure the WR didn't catch it.

This game has caused me to give my complete trust to our coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball now. They stopped the Eagles one way and now the Lions in the complete opposite way. They kept Miami in check with a soft look, and on obvious running downs, brought the house. They held the Giants to 3 points for an entire half and VERY RELUCTANTLY gave up 21 points in the 2nd half. When I say very reluctantly I mean it... I watched the film a bunch of times and I'm telling ya the plays the Giants made against our Defense were literally by centimeters. WE WERE RIGHT THERE. I just couldn't beleive how many times it happened to us.

The awesome thing is now our guys our RIGHT THERE IN POSITION like usual, but they're also batting the ball more consistently and going for INTs. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

With the way we played, we can beat any team and that includes the Colts and the Pats. Yes... I truly believe that. This win showed us a lot, and don't think the Lions suck. We played great.

My only question is the offense. We played well and Jason looked great, but the injuries are hurting us and it's crazy to think that the weakest part of the team is the Offense. It goes Defense, Special Teams, then Offense as of right now.

Another thing is Shaun Suisham. He's looking a little more human lately and I don't like it. But just a little.

Gotta love the way we played.

he did make a nice break on one slant today. unusual to see a cornerback break up a pass with his helmet instead of swiping at the ball

That made me chuckle. Rogers can be funny sometimes. He's personally one of my favorite players on our team and he just gets bashed like crazy around here it's ridiculous. Just cuz he has a bad habit of dropping INTs doesn't make him a bust as some people love calling him around here. The tackles he makes, the physical way he plays, and the times where the QB has to go elsewhere because of his good coverage, should be more than enough for us to excuse his weakness.

It's too bad people are so shallow that the only way they can judge a CB is by his INT stat sheet.

i don't mind the cushion. no one would use it if it were a stupid way to defend. it just looks like our players have figured it out, like you said. that said, if we don't get pressure on the qb and can't have linebackers drop out to take out that passing lane, quick slants CAN cause problems. the line's success today was the reason our D did so well.

That made me chuckle. Rogers can be funny sometimes. He's personally one of my favorite players on our team and he just gets bashed like crazy around here it's ridiculous. Just cuz he has a bad habit of dropping INTs doesn't make him a bust as some people love calling him around here. The tackles he makes, the physical way he plays, and the times where the QB has to go elsewhere because of his good coverage, should be more than enough for us to excuse his weakness.

It's too bad people are so shallow that the only way they can judge a CB is by his INT stat sheet.

i wasn't bashing rogers. he had a really good game today. i just don't think he realized he was getting there as quickly as he did. don't be so touchy.

GW knows this bc he will see the film. We played man press vs the eagles and I think that this game should be a BIG one for the defense. We should see some serious play from Landry and an int or 2 for secondary. Those slants are a great way to get picked off... see Bears.

The defensive gameplan versus the Packers will be different to the one we saw versus the Lions.

Against the Lions we took away the dig route which is the staple of what the Lions have being doing - 12-15 yards up and the sharp cut inside. The Packers base their passing game on the slant and you will see Williams gameplan to take that away.

I don't think we will blitz too much - Farve is too good to risk giving him the home run shot and gets rid of the ball quickly anyway. We will still play a lot of cover 2 and 3 and have the safties and OLBs jump on those slants and dare Green Bay to win with the run not the pass.

I'm not sold that the Pack are legit. They have a good D but any offense which is as one dimensional as the Packs is not going to carry them over the long term even with Farve - especially without any impact wideouts.

It depends on how we play. If GW decides to go with some cover 2 looks then Favre will eat us alive underneath and with slants. But pulling the safeties up could hurt us a well. Either way, I think we're going to have to get a lot of pressure from the front 7 on Favre from the get-go. That's exactly what the Bears did in the second half. We have to move Favre out of the pocket a lot and keep him on his heels.

On the other hand, we were able to stop Martz's spread offense. GW called a good game against the Lions O. I hope that spills over into Lambeau Field.

Archived