Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B Lloyd & C. Cooley

kiddhan625

"Whatever we can do to win--that's my motto," Lloyd said. "I'm just focused on this season, this season only, and hopefully everything will work out."

Said Gibbs: "With Brandon, he has been in there on a number of plays, but we just haven't got hooked up on him. As a matter of fact, Chris Cooley only has five catches right now, which is disappointing.

"We're hoping that Brandon can be more productive as we go."

Shouldn't Gibbs statement being an indication that he (Gibbs) needs to open up his playbook more.

Not sure what Gibbs is talking about in reference to Brandon. I have not seen Brandon on the field for a number of plays. Given the opportunity I would really like to see Brandon shine on Sunday.

From ESPN article http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...l.ap/index.html:

Saunders said Lloyd's opportunities are limited because he is considered the backup at Randle El's X-receiver position. Saunders said Lloyd would not be moved to Moss' flanker spot, even with Moss hurt.

From 9-25-07 "Joe Gibbs Show":

My paraphrase, but I just listened to it:

"....now if you go into a game without Santana, with the groin, now Brandon is going to play a huge role"

One seems to indicate that we won't see much more of BL even if Santana can't play, the other seems to say the opposite.....which is it?

From ESPN article http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...l.ap/index.html:

Saunders said Lloyd's opportunities are limited because he is considered the backup at Randle El's X-receiver position. Saunders said Lloyd would not be moved to Moss' flanker spot, even with Moss hurt.

From 9-25-07 "Joe Gibbs Show":

My paraphrase, but I just listened to it:

"....now if you go into a game without Santana, with the groin, now Brandon is going to play a huge role"

One seems to indicate that we won't see much more of BL even if Santana can't play, the other seems to say the opposite.....which is it?

Well, from the two quotes you just posted, it sounds like Randle El will be moved to Santana's spot, and Lloyd could step in at the X. Of course, we don't know that for sure. Caldwell, McCardell, or even Thrash could get the nod.

Well, from the two quotes you just posted, it sounds like Randle El will be moved to Santana's spot, and Lloyd could step in at the X. Of course, we don't know that for sure. Caldwell, McCardell, or even Thrash could get the nod.

More info below from a recent JLC article, which makes it sound like it would be Thrash taking over for Moss, and ARE in the same role he normally is in. It doesn't address the 3rd WR position though....

The Redskins' primary starting receiver designations are the "Z" -- a position Moss plays that involves lots of shifting, multiple formations and more varied routes -- and "X" -- Randle El's starting spot that is primarily a split end with more vertical routes. Al Saunders, associate head coach, said that if Moss cannot play -- which he thought unlikely -- then "the guy that would step in there would be James Thrash." Randle El also will get some practice work at the "Z" this week, while Lloyd is primarily an "X" and Caldwell began to get practice work at the "Z" last week.

"The easiest position to learn is 'X,' with less variations," Saunders said. "So usually when guys first come in they start at 'X' and [we] get him comfortable, and then give some exposure to 'Z.' "

lol I can only hope lloyd gets in the game and actually gets more than 1 pass thrown his way. Then maybe I could bash him for dropping passes. It's no way you can tell me that caldwell or mcCardell can get open better than lloyd. Cooley should definitely have more catches, and please for the love of god dont have him blocking an end by himself it doesn't work.

Cooley needs to go back to what he does best. Go in motion and beat his man off the line. When Cooley has to set and try to beat his man, he's not as good. He doesn't have breakaway speed, so he needs that extra step. Look back at the 2005 Cowboys game at home. Motion, motion, motion and Cooley was dominant.

"Whatever we can do to win--that's my motto," Lloyd said. "I'm just focused on this season, this season only, and hopefully everything will work out."

Said Gibbs: "With Brandon, he has been in there on a number of plays, but we just haven't got hooked up on him. As a matter of fact, Chris Cooley only has five catches right now, which is disappointing.

Shouldn't Gibbs statement being an indication that he (Gibbs) needs to open up his playbook more.

Not sure what Gibbs is talking about in reference to Brandon. I have not seen Brandon on the field for a number of plays. Given the opportunity I would really like to see Brandon shine on Sunday.

Chris Cooley has only five catches now because he's being used more as a blocker because we've lost our entire left side.

More info below from a recent JLC article, which makes it sound like it would be Thrash taking over for Moss, and ARE in the same role he normally is in. It doesn't address the 3rd WR position though....

The Redskins' primary starting receiver designations are the "Z" -- a position Moss plays that involves lots of shifting, multiple formations and more varied routes -- and "X" -- Randle El's starting spot that is primarily a split end with more vertical routes. Al Saunders, associate head coach, said that if Moss cannot play -- which he thought unlikely -- then "the guy that would step in there would be James Thrash." Randle El also will get some practice work at the "Z" this week, while Lloyd is primarily an "X" and Caldwell began to get practice work at the "Z" last week.

"The easiest position to learn is 'X,' with less variations," Saunders said. "So usually when guys first come in they start at 'X' and [we] get him comfortable, and then give some exposure to 'Z.' "

So Lloyd is an X, an easier position. Newer guys start at the X because its easier to pick up. Once they're comfortable, they start to learn the Z.

Moss may be out as the Z. Lloyd, who's in his second season here, isn't being given work at the tougher Z position. Caldwell, who's been here 10 minutes, IS getting work at the Z. So is Thrash. So is Randel-El. Everybody but Lloyd is getting work at the tougher Z position. Why is that? It seems to be another unspoken indictment of Lloyd.

This team is looking like a lost cause right now.

Agree and the part that makes it soo frustrating is that 75% of it appears to be coaching and schemes. WE are not suppose to limited by our coaching staff, they are suppose to be some of the best in business. Hell If I was snyder I would take control of the headsets myself.

heres an idea gibbs. if youre disappointed that he has 5 catches, how about sending him out on routes instead of having him block all game. i didnt know well paid TEs were supposed to be extra offensive lineman. get cooley out in space like weve done the past 3 friggin years.

Come on, your smarter then that...Cooley is always going out on routes, and if you haven't noticed, Saunders is still calling plays :doh:. Everyone seems to be forgetting that.

I personally think that if Moss is hurt, that Lloyd should get the opportunity to start that game and show us what he's really got. I think if he performs this sunday that he will get all the opportunities he signed here for. If he slumps, well, back to the bench he goes...

Come on, your smarter then that...Cooley is always going out on routes, and if you haven't noticed, Saunders is still calling plays :doh:. Everyone seems to be forgetting that.

Well according to Cooley on Elliot in the Morning, I believe he said he was left in to block Strahan 8 or 9 times that game.

Yay! Then Osi Umindon'tknowhowtospellyourname and Srahan could both have 10 sacks in week 4. Great idea Christmas ;) :laugh:

do the lions have Osi and Strahan?

you clearly dont care about winning.

oh and for the record, yes, ARE and Thrash out there...wow i would be scared if i was the secondary.. hey someone get walter rasby back to replace cooley, so then we can really be fierce.

im sorry to be a negative nancy, but i just dont see a win with ARE and Thrash.

b.lloyd needs to play, plain and simple

So Lloyd is an X, an easier position. Newer guys start at the X because its easier to pick up. Once they're comfortable, they start to learn the Z.

Moss may be out as the Z. Lloyd, who's in his second season here, isn't being given work at the tougher Z position. Caldwell, who's been here 10 minutes, IS getting work at the Z. So is Thrash. So is Randel-El. Everybody but Lloyd is getting work at the tougher Z position. Why is that? It seems to be another unspoken indictment of Lloyd.

Sounds to me like the coaches are just going to keep saying that Lloyd is backing up whoever is starting - if someone goes down, we put in someone else (other than Lloyd) and say that Lloyd is still the backup.....It's a tough job, good thing we have the 30 million dollar man there to do it.....

do the lions have Osi and Strahan?

you clearly dont care about winning.

oh and for the record, yes, ARE and Thrash out there...wow i would be scared if i was the secondary.. hey someone get walter rasby back to replace cooley, so then we can really be fierce.

im sorry to be a negative nancy, but i just dont see a win with ARE and Thrash.

b.lloyd needs to play, plain and simple

He was talking about why Cooley stayed in the second half of the Giants game and refered to when we would see them again. Your inability to comprehend does not translate into him clearly not caring about winning.

Chris Cooley has only five catches now because he's being used more as a blocker because we've lost our entire left side.

It's actually the right side. But Kendall is better than Dockery, Wade is as good as Jansen. So the only real loss we've had is Thomas. Fabini has done OK and looks more comfortable at guard then he did at Tackle last year in Dallass. The run blocking needs to be worked on more than the pass blocking IMO.

Archived