Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I The Only One Who Remembers We Were 5-11 Last Year?

Califan007 The Constipated

Before the season started, if anyone in the media predicted an 8-8 or 9-7 record for the Skins, 99% of us responded with "That sounds fair...we WERE 5-11 last year afterall".

However, now that the season has started, we lose ONE game--a game in which we lead at the half 17-3...and suddenly that 8-8/9-7 record prediction is irrelevant? How, exactly, did anyone expect the Skins to be 9-7 and NOT lose games? lol :)...Or did we expect every single loss to be a nail-biter with the opposing team kicking a 57 yarder into the wind with 2 seconds remaining?

If you thought 9-7 was a good prediction for our beloved team, then at some point, somewhere, you HAD to know the Skins were gonna lose a game like this. At some point, somewhere, the Skins were gonna show a bit of what made them 5-11 last year...it was inevitable. Before the season started, we ALL expected that to happen, every single one of us...yet when it actually DOES happen, we act like it never occurred to us...as if the ONLY way the Skins could lose a game is if the coaches/players/owner are ridiculously inept...because it can NOT be that the Skins are that 9-7 team we all said sounded "reasonable" before the season started.

Put another way, we could be Saints fans, looking at their team full of Pro Bowlers pathetically going 0-3 after reaching the NFC Championship game last year...or we could be Skins fans, looking at their team of ONE Pro Bowl alternate going 2-1, and surprisingly almost 3-0, after going an abysmal 5-11 last year.

Yeah, I was frustrated as hell that the Skins seemed to take the 2nd half off and could VERY easily have been 3-0 right now...but I'm not losing sight of the fact that we were 5-11 last season, and were not very good. However, I'm not gonna let one half of bad football erase the fact that this team HAS improved noticeably. Nor am I gonna lynch the coaches responsible for that improvement because of 30 non-productive minutes of play. They're the same ones we were more than fine with after the Monday night manhandling of the Eagles. And should they return to that form and do the same to the Lions, I'm positive we'll all be fine and dandy being 3-1.

Before the season started, if anyone in the media predicted an 8-8 or 9-7 record for the Skins, 99% of us responded with "That sounds fair...we WERE 5-11 last year afterall".

However, now that the season has started, we lose ONE game--a game in which we lead at the half 17-3...and suddenly that 8-8/9-7 record prediction is irrelevant? How, exactly, did anyone expect the Skins to be 9-7 and NOT lose games? lol :)...Or did we expect every single loss to be a nail-biter with the opposing team kicking a 57 yarder into the wind with 2 seconds remaining?

If you thought 9-7 was a good prediction for our beloved team, then at some point, somewhere, you HAD to know the Skins were gonna lose a game like this. At some point, somewhere, the Skins were gonna show a bit of what made them 5-11 last year...it was inevitable. Before the season started, we ALL expected that to happen, every single one of us...yet when it actually DOES happen, we act like it never occurred to us...as if the ONLY way the Skins could lose a game is if the coaches/players/owner are ridiculously inept...because it can NOT be that the Skins are that 9-7 team we all said sounded "reasonable" before the season started.

Put another way, we could be Saints fans, looking at their team full of Pro Bowlers pathetically going 0-3 after reaching the NFC Championship game last year...or we could be Skins fans, looking at their team of ONE Pro Bowl alternate going 2-1, and surprisingly almost 3-0, after going an abysmal 5-11 last year.

Yeah, I was frustrated as hell that the Skins seemed to take the 2nd half off and could VERY easily have been 3-0 right now...but I'm not losing sight of the fact that we were 5-11 last season, and were not very good. However, I'm not gonna let one half of bad football erase the fact that this team HAS improved noticeably. Nor am I gonna lynch the coaches responsible for that improvement because of 30 non-productive minutes of play. They're the same ones we were more than fine with after the Monday night manhandling of the Eagles. And should they return to that form and do the same to the Lions, I'm positive we'll all be fine and dandy being 3-1.

Last year is in the sea of forgetfullness because it's last year. This is a better team this year. Last year there were things going against us like Clinton's season ending injury, a terrible defense, and learning a new offense. The defense has upgraded and overall is playing beautifully, Portis is healthy again, and the offense has come together under Jason Campbell's leadership.

The Giants are a bad team and the Redskins loss only underscores that in order for us to win we have to play 60 minutes. ANY team will beat us if we only put in 30 minutes of work :)

Watch, though........the Giants are going to get their clock cleaned by the Eagles and will be 1-3 come Sunday night.

McNabb will PROPERLY exploit the Giants weak corners and make aggressive plays down the field.

The Giants are a bad team and the Redskins loss only underscores that in order for us to win we have to play 60 minutes. ANY team will beat us if we only put in 30 minutes of work :)

Watch, though........the Giants are going to get their clock cleaned by the Eagles and will be 1-3 come Sunday night.

McNabb will PROPERLY exploit the Giants weak corners and make aggressive plays down the field.

That and losing the 14 point lead the way we did was simply inexcusable

A couple of 3rd quarter first downs could flip the field, stop the bleeding and rest the D

A FG before the Giants tied it up would have been huge and had an impact on the Giants play calling

Many on here were predicting 9 or more wins this year, and that was predicated on us having a fast start, either 4-2 or 5-1. Just as the win at Philly was an unexpected boon, the loss to the Giants was a big drag down. Another thing is that people say is that the defense needs to carry this team until the offense comes together. I know Campbell has only reached double-digits in starts, but how much long are we going to make excuses for the offense. Despite some nice drives against Miami and Philly, we scored less than 21 both games, and 10 out of the 17 points against the Giants were largely courtesy of the D. If we can't start cracking that 21 point barrier soon we won't be beating a lot of folks, including Detroit in 2 weeks.

Very good post, Califan. It's a very smart and logical one.....and this is the only thing that can be taken from it: most of the people who predicted the Skins to go 8-8 or 9-7 this year were fooling themselves and they knew it. They felt that by continuously saying the Skins would have an average season, they would believe it and therefore not be let down like they were the previous year. It didn't work.

Last year is in the sea of forgetfullness because it's last year. This is a better team this year. Last year there were things going against us like Clinton's season ending injury, a terrible defense, and learning a new offense. The defense has upgraded and overall is playing beautifully, Portis is healthy again, and the offense has come together under Jason Campbell's leadership.

If it were that easy, though, everyone would do it...every improved team would suddenly find themselves smoothly sailing without any bumps in week after week of nonstop wins.

The Skins showed for a half why they were 5-11 last year...just as last year the Skins showed against the Jags and Texans why they were a 10-6 playoff team the year before. Just as those two wins should not have surprised anyone, neither should this loss have surprised anyone. Frustrated, sure...irritated, absolutely. But for anyone paying attention it should NOT have surprised. Like it or not, it was bound to happen this season, and more than once. Let's just hope the next time it happens we still have a winning record afterwards...instead of it causing the hole we're in to be even deeper afterwards...like last year.

The problem is not that we're 2-1. The problem is we lost to a team we are better than by our own mismanagement, playcalling, etc....and it is a problem that has reared its head before, yet we have not rectified it yet. And it will continue to haunt us until we do.

Perfectly said. :cheers:

The problem is not that we're 2-1. The problem is we lost to a team we are better than by our own mismanagement, playcalling, etc....and it is a problem that has reared its head before, yet we have not rectified it yet. And it will continue to haunt us until we do.

Why do you think the Skins were 5-11 last year?...partially because of mismanagement and playcalling. Like I said, we're STILL that team from last year in a very real way...however, I think we rectified it in the first two games, if not the first 2 1/2 games.

I personally think that we were all better able to accept those lapses occurring during the season when it was still the offseason and everyone wanted it known that to expect a complete turnaround in one year was unrealistic...we had no problem with the thought of it occurring, as long as we won more games than we lost. However, we seem to have HUGE problems with it actually occurring lol...

Lessons will be learned from this game and measures will be taken. This was a wake up call, and I feel like this team will get better week by week from here on out. BTW, I'd love to see a 'heavy jumbo' goal line package with Yoder lead blocking for Sellers, something to that effect. A big body lead blocking for a big body. Make it happen JG!

Listen we were 5-11. We had an opportunity to go 3-0 even though we honestly haven't played that well. We could just as easily be 0-3.

This team needs to learn how to win and play 4 quarters.

So far the team has been mediocre.

If mediocre works for you, so be it. But we are in year 4 of a HOF coach. I honestly expected more than mediocre in year 4.

I want to see a confident coach, so far it's been anything but.

Cali, I'm still on the side of the "Optimists" bet. But, if we were 0-16 last year, that loss would still hurt as bad. It was completely, utterly, inexcusable. :mad:

That being said, no, we should not turn ES into a nuclear meltdown.

Just to be fair, let's also not forget that we started out 2-2 last year.

Just sayin', man. ;)

Ok...took a little time to get past your sig, but...lol

If our fortunes do an exact opposite of last year--that is, last year we lose the first two, then win the next two, then go on to a 5-11 record...and this year we win the first two, then lose the next two, then go on to an 11-5 record...I'll be fine with that lol :cool:

Listen we were 5-11. We had an opportunity to go 3-0 even though we honestly haven't played that well. We could just as easily be 0-3.

This team needs to learn how to win and play 4 quarters.

So far the team has been mediocre.

If mediocre works for you, so be it. But we are in year 4 of a HOF coach. I honestly expected more than mediocre in year 4.

I want to see a confident coach, so far it's been anything but.

Wow, way to completely miss my point :thumbsup:...

Nowhere in my post did I say the Skins do NOT need to improve...I simply said that to be devastated by this loss after seeing the team go 5-11 last year is ludicrious...not to mention that if ANYONE thought 9-7 was a reasonably optimistic prediction for this team, then Sunday's loss should not have too much of a lasting effect on how you see this team.

Archived