Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I The Only One Who Remembers We Were 5-11 Last Year?

Califan007 The Constipated

Ok...took a little time to get past your sig, but...lol

If our fortunes do an exact opposite of last year--that is, last year we lose the first two, then win the next two, then go on to a 5-11 record...and this year we win the first two, then lose the next two, then go on to an 11-5 record...I'll be fine with that lol :cool:

11-5, sweet!

But do you think JC will be alright with the idea of 22 straight incomplete passes? :doh:

The Giants are a bad team and the Redskins loss only underscores that in order for us to win we have to play 60 minutes. ANY team will beat us if we only put in 30 minutes of work :)

Watch, though........the Giants are going to get their clock cleaned by the Eagles and will be 1-3 come Sunday night.

McNabb will PROPERLY exploit the Giants weak corners and make aggressive plays down the field.

How do you know the Giants are a bad team. look who they have played

Before the season started, if anyone in the media predicted an 8-8 or 9-7 record for the Skins, 99% of us responded with "That sounds fair...we WERE 5-11 last year afterall".

However, now that the season has started, we lose ONE game--a game in which we lead at the half 17-3...and suddenly that 8-8/9-7 record prediction is irrelevant? How, exactly, did anyone expect the Skins to be 9-7 and NOT lose games? lol :)...Or did we expect every single loss to be a nail-biter with the opposing team kicking a 57 yarder into the wind with 2 seconds remaining?

If you thought 9-7 was a good prediction for our beloved team, then at some point, somewhere, you HAD to know the Skins were gonna lose a game like this. At some point, somewhere, the Skins were gonna show a bit of what made them 5-11 last year...it was inevitable. Before the season started, we ALL expected that to happen, every single one of us...yet when it actually DOES happen, we act like it never occurred to us...as if the ONLY way the Skins could lose a game is if the coaches/players/owner are ridiculously inept...because it can NOT be that the Skins are that 9-7 team we all said sounded "reasonable" before the season started.

Put another way, we could be Saints fans, looking at their team full of Pro Bowlers pathetically going 0-3 after reaching the NFC Championship game last year...or we could be Skins fans, looking at their team of ONE Pro Bowl alternate going 2-1, and surprisingly almost 3-0, after going an abysmal 5-11 last year.

Yeah, I was frustrated as hell that the Skins seemed to take the 2nd half off and could VERY easily have been 3-0 right now...but I'm not losing sight of the fact that we were 5-11 last season, and were not very good. However, I'm not gonna let one half of bad football erase the fact that this team HAS improved noticeably. Nor am I gonna lynch the coaches responsible for that improvement because of 30 non-productive minutes of play. They're the same ones we were more than fine with after the Monday night manhandling of the Eagles. And should they return to that form and do the same to the Lions, I'm positive we'll all be fine and dandy being 3-1.

Expectations change with each game. The gaints, a playoff team a year ago, were 0-2 and looking horrible. We were then up 17-3, if you do not expect to win the game at the half, there is a problem. The bigger problem is actually not winning the game.

Expectations change with each game. The gaints, a playoff team a year ago, were 0-2 and looking horrible. We were then up 17-3, if you do not expect to win the game at the half, there is a problem. The bigger problem is actually not winning the game.

Who said anything about NOT expecting to win this game?...It's more about NOT expecting games like this to happen ever, all season long, after going 5-11 last year.

Why do you think the Skins were 5-11 last year?...partially because of mismanagement and playcalling. Like I said, we're STILL that team from last year in a very real way...however, I think we rectified it in the first two games, if not the first 2 1/2 games.

Game 1 we played a very disfunctional team with a new coach, new qb, and not much going for it.

Game 2 we were fortunate in that McNabb had a horrible game and missed a lot of opportunitys in the end to bring Philly back.

Game 3 we played a very disfunctional team with their starting RB injured.

You can twist it as much as you like. We eeked out 2-1 and could have eeked out 3-0.

We haven't rectified anything. Bad time management, high dollar players not getting playing time, injuries, no depth.

I am thankful we are 2-1 but I can't say I feel good about how we got there.

Ok...took a little time to get past your sig, but...lol

If our fortunes do an exact opposite of last year--that is, last year we lose the first two, then win the next two, then go on to a 5-11 record...and this year we win the first two, then lose the next two, then go on to an 11-5 record...I'll be fine with that lol :cool:

Yeah, Chicken's sig always throws me into a momentary stupor.

To be fair, Cali, this was not the first lapse in direction at the end of a half. Remember the end of the first half of the Eagles game? That one we were able to overcome with talent. This time we did not. I tend to think that the biggest difference between last year and this is - quite simply - Jason Campbell. Between Campbell and Brunell there's really no comparison there. Give Jason Brunell's wealth of experience and I think alot of these snafus just go away. if the coaching staff can at least give the impression on the sideline of LOOKING like they know what their doing...whether they actually do or not will not matter and we wouldn't have to hear all these ridiculous cries for heads to roll.

Just my opinion.

HTTR

Last year is in the sea of forgetfullness because it's last year. This is a better team this year. Last year there were things going against us like Clinton's season ending injury, a terrible defense, and learning a new offense. The defense has upgraded and overall is playing beautifully, Portis is healthy again, and the offense has come together under Jason Campbell's leadership.
Offense come together, where have you seen that, Your praising a QB with a 67 rating and dogging the coaches, how fair is that. I admit Cambell is our QB of the future and willing to wait. But you fans act like it is all him that won these games,with the few points we have scored

The Giants are a bad team and the Redskins loss only underscores that in order for us to win we have to play 60 minutes. ANY team will beat us if we only put in 30 minutes of work :)

Watch, though........the Giants are going to get their clock cleaned by the Eagles and will be 1-3 come Sunday night.

McNabb will PROPERLY exploit the Giants weak corners and make aggressive plays down the field.

Giants 31 eagles 21

The problem is not that we're 2-1. The problem is we lost to a team we are better than by our own mismanagement, playcalling, etc....and it is a problem that has reared its head before, yet we have not rectified it yet. And it will continue to haunt us until we do.
What makes people thing were that much better than Giants, 2 games, in which the giants got beat by 2 good 3-0 teams

I tend to think that the biggest difference between last year and this is - quite simply - Jason Campbell. Between Campbell and Brunell there's really no comparison there. Give Jason Brunell's wealth of experience and I think alot of these snafus just go away.

True, but what we gain in big play potential, is like comparing a cannon to a limp noodle.

Now, if you could put Todd Collins' knowledge in Campbell's brain, we'd be unstoppable.

Is anyone forgetting that we came close to making the game even? I know we lost, but a great return by Randle El set us up with great field position. Casey Rabach messed up our momentum at a very crucial point ala San Diego in 2005, but we were able to get the ball inside the five yard line. This team can compete better than last year's squad. I remember the 5-11 season very well, but I don't think about last year. At least we've been in all three games this year. The setback loss to the Giants will make us a more competent and better team. The coaches and the players will take this experience and learn from it. Unfortunately, this has happened to at least every team in that NFL at some point.

Just to be fair, let's also not forget that we started out 2-2 last year.

Just sayin', man. ;)

Nice sig man...WOW.

OK, to your point (keep in mind, I've been pessimistic since the Giants game so this is saying something).

We were 2-2 last year, but we weren't really competitive in one loss and we looked horrible vs. the Giants (even though that was week 5). So, I would say we are doing a little better than last year.

Did I mention that I really like your sig?

[Despite some nice drives against Miami and Philly, we scored less than 21 both games, and 10 out of the 17 points against the Giants were largely courtesy of the D. If we can't start cracking that 21 point barrier soon we won't be beating a lot of folks, including Detroit in 2 weeks.[/quote

For those of us who are upset with the loss, it is not the loss that bothers us. Rather it is the poor execution that our team performed that is the mostly troubling. As anyone actually gone back and compared the trend our offense has done? For example:

1. In 2005, our team averaged 22.9 points a game. Not bad considering we were shut out in that horrible game with the Giants. Our team even went to the playoffs;

2. In 2006, a year which we would rather forget, our team was 5-11 and averaging 19 points a game; and

3. In 2007, our team, albiet only 3 games, is averaging 17 points a game.

Do you not see the trend? Have you even considered the schedule? How many of you think that by averaging 17 points a game we can beat the following teams?

Packers

Patriots

Eagles (yeah so we beat them already. we still need to beat them again)

Cowboys (twice)

Buccaneers (have you forgotten how good Garcia is?)

Bears

Giants

These are 8 games that are going to be very difficult for us. But if we can only score 17 points against the Giants who came into the game as one of the worst defenses, then now do you exepct to win these 8 games?

I haven't even mentioned:

Lions

Cardinals

Jets

Bills

Vikings (we couldn't beat them last year)

I have been a fan since 1972. So I remember the Redskins from the earlier Joe Gibbs years and how damn good they were. I want our team to do well, just as all of you do. However, I have reservations when I see the piss poor perforance displayed in the 2nd half against the Giants. This is what has me upset - not that we loss.

It is too bad we must wait 2 weeks before our next game, but that is life. I see the lions game being much more important and that it maybe a sign of what lies ahead for us. If we don't start breaking the 24/25 point barrier, we are in for a long season.

:gaintsuck

Game 1 we played a very disfunctional team with a new coach, new qb, and not much going for it.

Game 2 we were fortunate in that McNabb had a horrible game and missed a lot of opportunitys in the end to bring Philly back.

You can twist it as much as you like. We eeked out 2-1 and could have eeked out 3-0.

We haven't rectified anything. Bad time management, high dollar players not getting playing time, injuries, no depth.

you think manning is a new qb lol where have you been

Philly was MORE fortunate that WE missed opportunities to blow them out...

And who had the #2 offense in the league yet were kept to 3 lousy points in the first half ( probably nothing but luck there on our end, too, huh lol)...and who has lost to teams having a combined record of 8-1. The Giants are NOT as bad as we wanted to tell ourselves they were...and they proved it in the 2nd half. That's Life.

We didn't "eek" out ****...we won the first two games by limiting the other teams to one TD in 8 quarters of play...we did so by connecting on our deep ball just enough times and by rushing extremely well. Those are facts, and your personal emotions don't negate facts.

1) What injuries have cost us wins?

2) Only one high-dollar player is not getting playing time, and who really cares how much a player makes if his play is subpar?

I have been a fan since 1972. So I remember the Redskins from the earlier Joe Gibbs years and how damn good they were. I want our team to do well, just as all of you do. However, I have reservations when I see the piss poor perforance displayed in the 2nd half against the Giants. This is what has me upset - not that we loss.

Funny, I remember some stinkers during Gibbs I...let's not get carried away.

I'd suggest if you're looking for perfection, you check heaven out, because there is very little in life or the NFL that is perfect.

We're 2-1, not 1-3 or 0-3. We have a very good defense, three new starters on our O-Line and for all intents and purposes, a first year player at qb.

And a winning record.

I like what I see.

SoCal...the lovely and intoxicating San Bernardino lol :laugh:...

A beautiful part of the state. I've driven through it often. :laugh:

Here's something I posted earlier today in another thread. I think it fits here as well. Sorry for the length, but I was on a roll.

I held off checking out ES on Monday morning for the simple reason that I was afraid to see what people were saying. I was fearful of knee jerk reactions from sofa quarterbacks......like myself. I instead decided to let the game resonate and percolate just a bit before I posted. Frankly, I wish more people did that.

To begin with, I think a distinction needs to made. There is a difference between blind loyalty and blind optimism. I am now and will forever be a Redskin fan. No number of wins or losses will ever change that. It's part of who I am and I will remain steadfastly loyal and faithful to this team.

That being said, while an eternal optimist at heart, I am not overwhelmingly blind to what takes place both on and off the field. I see some disturbing patterns of disorganization and play. I, like you, am upset by watching the team - time and time again - make their own jobs harder by making ill-timed mental mistakes. They have the talent to overcome many of these mistakes (please refer to the sequence at the close of the first half of the Eagles game) but will sometimes dig themselves a hole too great to climb out of (please refer now to the close of the Giants game). My great hope is that as Jason Campbell gains more experience and thus more (pardon the cliche) field generalship many of these types of mistakes will simply go away. I would also hope that the coaching staff, for their part, would mitigate those mistakes by being succinct both in their instruction and in their implementation. There is, in my experience, some value in LOOKING as if you know what you're doing even if you don't actually. That, alone, would probably eliminate many of the cries we hear today.

While I, like many of you, am disappointed in the fact that Joe Gibbs did not return us to glory sooner in his second run....I also recognize just how in disarray this team was when he took over. I do not pretend to think that he, Snyder and the entire staff have made no mistakes at all. Certainly they have. Scouting, talent evaluation...play schemes.....all are to a great degree hit and miss. For every Cooley you draft there's a few Tyler Eckers. For every Santana Moss you trade for there's a few Brandon Lloyds out there to bring in. If it were really as easy as we ALL sometimes come to think (or wish) it was, then football would simply be no fun. Everyone would be doing everything right and the whole game as we now know it would cease to be interesting.

The simple truth is, Gibbs took over a team that had a for a long time perpetuated a losing and mistake-prone environment. A team that had either swung for the fence or settled for the status quo....neither strategy proving to be a successful one. From 1969-70 (when Vince Lombardi came to town) to 1992-93 (when Joe Gibbs left), the Redskins had evolved into a franchise that not only promoted success in both play and attitude, but expected it. That same team, over the subsequent fifteen years or so had de-volved into a team that had come to expect defeat and didn't - for the life of it - have any clue about how to reverse that trend. Nothing had worked. Nobody knew how to fix it.

Turning things around after so long a drought doesn't - we have all come to learn - happen overnight. Yes, four years in the life of the NFL can seem like a long time...and it is....but in the life of a lost and forlorn franchise four years to turn things around can be an eternity. Just ask the Detroit Lions...or the New Orleans Saints.....or the New York Giants, for that matter.

Gibbs has made mistakes. No mistake about that. We're probably not done with those, either. But, we musn't overlook the tremendous progress he has made with the overall makeup of this team. It seems to be a team on the rise....a team with a collective soul (which you couldn't say about many past teams of the 90's and early 00's).....and a desire to reach the pinnacle.....not just the playoffs. These accomplishments will live on after he is gone..I am sure of that.

Jason Campbell, the new face of the team, is still a young quarterback. The Redskins are still a work in progress. One loss does not a season make. The optimism we all felt leading into the season and after the first two wins should not be diminished. It is not time to be calling for anyone's head......yet.

I don't think we should ignore the facts...but I think we should at least look at the situation globally.....at the big picture......and then see how we feel. There's a lot more season to go.

I, for one, am looking forward to it.

HTTR

1. In 2005, our team averaged 22.9 points a game. Not bad considering we were shut out in that horrible game with the Giants. Our team even went to the playoffs;

2. In 2006, a year which we would rather forget, our team was 5-11 and averaging 19 points a game; and

3. In 2007, our team, albiet only 3 games, is averaging 17 points a game.

Do you not see the trend? Have you even considered the schedule? How many of you think that by averaging 17 points a game we can beat the following teams?

That's not quite right...

So far this season:

Game 1: our offense scored 16 points: 1 TD and three FGs

Game 2: our offense scored 20 points: 2 TDs and two FGs

Game 3: our offense scored 17 points in one half: 2 TDs and one FG

Up until halftime our offense was showing a game-by-game improvement. Last season during the first three games?

Game 1: our offense scored 16 points: 1 TD and three FGs

Game 2: our offense scored 3 points: a FG

Game three: our offense scored 31 points: 4 TDs and a FG

Last season our offense was sporadic, no improvement from week to week. We were mediocre one game, abysmal the next, great the game after that, back to abysmal...then back to mediocre. This year, there was steady improvement...It's just that 2nd half that skews the stats. The offense took a complete nosedive during those two quarters, no doubt. But up until then, there was DEFINITE improvement week after week...which was a blessing compared to last year.

Archived