Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs has no regrets

skinsn24

Gibbs is losing his mystique. I'm not very impressed with him at all. A hall of fame coach needs to know the clock like the back of his hand. He has looked flat out senile in crunch time of games over the past few years. On top of that, we have LOST several games due to his scared second half coaching style. Someone needs to tell him to grow a pair. We get an INT deep in their territory and dont even try to get in the end zone. This team takes after him. They dont even expect to score. Their coach shows no confidence in them. No confidence in the shotgun, no confidence in 3 or 4 wide, and no confidence to go for the throat when we are up. His current style would make Peyton Manning look terrible. We have no tempo, no intensity, and no excitement.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You've written exactly what I've been thinking since sunday.

I will probably get tomatoes thrown my way, but if this is the way Gibbs really views are RBs, I hope Betts gets injured. I think it would HELP our team's success long term. Gibbs really has lost it IF he believes both backs are equal and interchangeable. And i wonder what Portis thinks about such comments...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/24/AR2007092401845.html

He considers Betts and Clinton Portis "interchangeable," so Portis sitting out the final two offensive plays was a non-issue.

So, let me get this straight.

We gave up one of the league's precious few premier cover corners in his prime AND a number 2 draft pick for...

~ wait for it ~

~ wait for it~

a guy who is "interchangeable" with Ladell Betts.

L_c295eaa31c251b9c3e10f11068d2eccf.jpg

:thumbsup:

Call me crazy, but considering we already had Betts on the team at the time the Portis trade was made, my next question would be, why **** trade for a guy that, according to the coach, we already had? :doh:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go find a nice brick wall to bang my head against for a few hours.

You gotta be slow or something...:laugh:

a 4.3 yard per run average is damn good in this league...

Portis is Tied for 3rd in TD's by RB

and in the top half of the league in yards ...all while only playing 3-4 plays at a time and sharing the load....

Its cool to not like someone... but to blatantly ignore the facts is just crazy...:laugh:

the guy is a complete betts homer, and he cant even admit that betts looks awful. look at his sig, he thinks betts is going for 1700 yards. getting 9 yards on 7 carries, its gonna take him quite awhile haha.

You gotta be slow or something...:laugh:

a 4.3 yard per run average is damn good in this league...

Portis is Tied for 3rd in TD's by RB

and in the top half of the league in yards ...all while only playing 3-4 plays at a time and sharing the load....

Top half of the league in yards? How is his salary? Is that top half of the league?

Is he even at half the pace Betts showed us last season in yards? Is he taking over games, asserting himself as a franchise player?

how can he take over the games when they wont let him carry the load yet? they havent even given him 20 carries yet, and hes put up a solid average, as well as 3 TDs when it counted. thats almost as many as betts had all last year.

I dunno, to me Betts has always been an up the gut runner, on 2nd and Goal, I didn't mind Betts taking the rock and running up the gut(although I would have used Sellars, personally) but Betts should have never been the RB you use on a mis-direction rush, where the RB has to use speed to get through the line and around a lineman.

Gibbs is losing his mystique. I'm not very impressed with him at all. A hall of fame coach needs to know the clock like the back of his hand. He has looked flat out senile in crunch time of games over the past few years. On top of that, we have LOST several games due to his scared second half coaching style. Someone needs to tell him to grow a pair. We get an INT deep in their territory and dont even try to get in the end zone. This team takes after him. They dont even expect to score. Their coach shows no confidence in them. No confidence in the shotgun, no confidence in 3 or 4 wide, and no confidence to go for the throat when we are up. His current style would make Peyton Manning look terrible. We have no tempo, no intensity, and no excitement.

This is exactly right. I've been talking about these kinds of issues for years and they have fallen mostly on deaf ears (with the exception of some very keen posters who also recognized this). I gave him one year to get his **** together as a coach, and a few more to get the right personnel. Most others seem to be giving him 3-4 years to figure out clock management and game calling decisions, and that's just because his last name is "Gibbs." He needs to take himself out of the game, or someone else needs to do it for him. Saunders actually had a pre-planned package for the exact situation we were in at the end of the game, a package that Campbell had memorized, and instead Gibbs moseys on in, forces us to spike and waste a down, and calls the worst series of plays I've ever seen.

We won the turnover battle 3-1 and lost the game thanks to Gibbs. Just imagine how bad the game would have been if we didn't win the turnover battle. Teams should NOT lose when they get that many turnovers. It's just a testament to the poor ass job he is doing. I don't know how many times I can ask for him to pull himself, but he just needs to get the **** out of the way so we can actually be good.

"We felt like it was to our advantage to have Ladell in there," Gibbs said. "It happened to be a play that Clinton had already run earlier in the game [for a touchdown]. We substituted there, and he stayed in for the rest of the drive. I would say on the goal line, on those two running plays, it definitely was not the runner."

THATS why the Skins lost. coughgibbsplaycallingsuckscough.

Saunders actually had a pre-planned package for the exact situation we were in at the end of the game, a package that Campbell had memorized, and instead Gibbs moseys on in, forces us to spike and waste a down, and calls the worst series of plays I've ever seen.

We know this for certain?

I think this is a big concern. Yes we are 2-1 but if you look at our clock management down the stretch we could easily be 0-3. Eventually your luck will run out (as evident in the giants meltdown).

I'm no offensive coordinator but if you have a nickle Defense in there and you have a 3 wide set why not take the chance and catch them on their heels. And how can you justify pulling Portis for Sellars. Portis has a nose for the endzone.

Gibbs et al have been out coached the past 2 weeks. The only way we are getting by is with our teams raw talent.

I have no idea what to believe about this team anymore...some say it's the players, some say it's the coaches. All I know is...I want the team that I know I saw the last 5 games in 2005 to comeback...that team played with a chip on it's shoulder and kicked ass like it was the mid 80's all over again.

"We felt like it was to our advantage to have Ladell in there," Gibbs said. "It happened to be a play that Clinton had already run earlier in the game [for a touchdown]. We substituted there, and he stayed in for the rest of the drive. I would say on the goal line, on those two running plays, it definitely was not the runner."

THATS why the Skins lost. coughgibbsplaycallingsuckscough.

lol at "definitely not the runner"

portis on that exact play - 3 TDs this season

betts this season - 0 TDs

I actually do believe Portis was supposed to be in at the end. I don't think it was a coaching decision. It was a Portis choice. Saunders has said he has a problem calling plays when his primary back has free reign to take himself out. He's said he'd prefer Portis to be less than 100 percent on some plays and serve as a decoy if necessary. I don't know with total certainty, but, I do believe Portis came out on his own at the end and Gibbs is being PC about it.

Was CP banged up? He was limping at one point, and with the bobbled exchanges was thinking maybe a hand injury?

We do have a mobile QB,so how about a little bootleg down there on the goal line.I still say it was a fix!They got our plays,hence the Coughlin time out,and they played the D to stop them.Who would have wanted to watch two 0-3 teams on Sunday night football next week.Maybe this will stir up conspiracy theorists on here who believe the games on some level are predetermined?

I haven't read through all of the posts in this thread but Redskins fan as a majority seems it was a major mistake not having Portis in the game. But I got to agree with Gibbs on one of his quotes. Both those running plays broke down at the line of scrimmage. CP wouldn't of had a chance either.

Now having no regrets I disagree with. Our Oline is at 3-5 strength. We struggled running the ball all second half. Campbell was throwing hot down the field to get us to the 1 yard line in the first place. And there is no way Strahan is going to catch Campbell in open space. The Redskins should of ran play action or bootlegs on all three plays.

Archived