Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs has no regrets

skinsn24

Didnt see this posted in the stadium.

Some very troubling quotes in my opinion

The main points Gibbs stressed in the news conference were:

He considers Betts and Clinton Portis "interchangeable," so Portis sitting out the final two offensive plays was a non-issue.

On their final possession, the Redskins spiked the ball on first down in a planned move to set their plays and personnel.

Despite what may have appeared to be chaos on the sideline to some on the final Redskins possession, Gibbs was in control, he said.

"It's what we wanted to do," Gibbs said of the second-half strategy. "Everybody, from a coaching standpoint, felt like it's what we wanted to do. Now, when it's all said and done . . . any choice you make is fair game. The bottom line is, the only way you can answer that is to win. Win the game, get in the end zone, you've got no problems."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/24/AR2007092401845.html

Second page of the article:

"We did exactly what we wanted to do," Gibbs said. "We were able to stop the clock and get our three plays and the packages we wanted against the defense."

Gibbs replaced Portis, considered the team's best offensive player, with fullback Mike Sellers. On a second-and-goal play, Sellers couldn't grab Campbell's pass in the right flat.

"We felt like it was to our advantage to have Ladell in there," Gibbs said. "It happened to be a play that Clinton had already run earlier in the game [for a touchdown]. We substituted there, and he stayed in for the rest of the drive. I would say on the goal line, on those two running plays, it definitely was not the runner."

Yeah, i bet Gibbs is going to say Betts sucks and blame everything on someone else. If you knew the guy, you'd know that he sticks up for his guys no matter what. He takes the blame for everything, even if it wasn't his fault, and he takes none of the credit when the team succeeds. If you're taking anything from what he said here, you haven't been paying attention.

lol at thinking betts is interchangeable with portis. i truly hope thats just gibbs typical BS coachspeak because if its not, gibbs needs to be committed.

and how dumb is our coaching staff to think that ladel betts should be a go to guy in the redzone. please somebody point me in the direction that leads to some sort of evidence that betts should get the ball in the redzone. last time i checked, portis had 3 TDs in the redzone this season, and betts has 0. his numbers yesterday also screamed "im awesome" with his 7 carries for 9 yards. nothing says good coaching like "give it to the backup with the game on the line". ugh

Yeah, i bet Gibbs is going to say Betts sucks and blame everything on someone else. If you knew the guy, you'd know that he sticks up for his guys no matter what. He takes the blame for everything, even if it wasn't his fault, and he takes none of the credit when the team succeeds. If you're taking anything from what he said here, you haven't been paying attention.

and gibbs should take the blame, because it was awful coaching. you have your proven stud RB and touchdown machine sitting on the sidelines with the game on the line, while "i had one good month in my career" ladel betts trying to get the critical points. truly pathetic, and gibbs made a huge error.

but this interchangeable nonsense is just way too far. even betts knows hes not portis, theres nothing wrong or "throwing your guy under the bus" with gibbs saying "portis is the main guy".

Did you read the quotes. He isnt even taking blame, he is saying they did everything how they wanted. It seems to me that he sees that everything was done and called correctly.

It also seems to me he did blame his guys, the line on the final series.

Also the fact that he doesnt acknowledge that portis is clearly the better player in the redzone is maddness. He even says portis scored on the same play, so we basically wanted to give betts a chance...its madness.

lol at thinking betts is interchangeable with portis. i truly hope thats just gibbs typical BS coachspeak because if its not, gibbs needs to be committed.

and how dumb is our coaching staff to think that ladel betts should be a go to guy in the redzone. please somebody point me in the direction that leads to some sort of evidence that betts should get the ball in the redzone. last time i checked, portis had 3 TDs in the redzone this season, and betts has 0. his numbers yesterday also screamed "im awesome" with his 7 carries for 9 yards. nothing says good coaching like "give it to the backup with the game on the line". ugh

My thoughts exactly. So strange because gibbs even said "portis already scored on that played"--or something similiar.

It was like he knew portis already did it, so he wanted to be nice and give betts a chance, i dont get it.

and i also worry about portis getting angry with the staff for being so stupid and wanting to leave because of it. its too early to figure this out, but if he keeps getting 15 carries a game, hes gone. and our coaching staff is completely retarded if they cannot see that portis IS THE GUY and betts is merely a backup.

somebody should send joe gibbs a link to betts profile on espn and look at his game log prior to december last year. any 12 year old could have figured out that portis should have been in there on that play.

Did you read the quotes. He isnt even taking blame, he is saying they did everything how they wanted. It seems to me that he sees that everything was done and called correctly.

Also the fact that he doesnt acknowledge that portis is clearly the better player in the redzone is maddness. He even says portis scored on the same play, so we basically wanted to give betts a chance...its madness.

you seriously believe that's what he meant? Fine...keep trying to find the negative in everything man.

When he says "everything was called correctly." He means, I called what I wanted(which translates to "it's on me" even if it isn't) and when he says "betts and portis are interchangeable" he means "they are both extremely talented running backs for us."(Which translates to "hey, i thought ladell could do it, i messed up") When has Gibbs ever, ever, ever, ever been 100% honest or literal in his statements to the media? Please tell me when.

He is sticking up for his team, that's all he's doing. He's taking the blame and deflecting criticism away from the players, that's why he's a players coach.

But keep believing that he really thinks Portis and Betts are the same guy and he doesn't know he messed up play calling wise, go ahead. I'm sure it's more fun for you that way.

im just really confused as to how Gibbs can sit there and be totally honest, as he doesnt lie according to some, and tell us portis and betts are interchangable.

If you click the link he also talks about the spike on first down, saying that throwing a pass with 3 wrs was too complicated for first down. It really pains me.

My thoughts exactly. So strange because gibbs even said "portis already scored on that played"--or something similiar.

It was like he knew portis already did it, so he wanted to be nice and give betts a chance, i dont get it.

No, I think what he meant was that since Portis had already run in that same play for a TD earlier, the opposing defense would be expecting a run if he was out there instead of Betts. They just wanted to be a bit unpredictable.

you seriously believe that's what he meant? Fine...keep trying to find the negative in everything man.

When he says "everything was called correctly." He means, I called what I wanted(which translates to "it's on me" even if it isn't) and when he says "betts and portis are interchangeable" he means "they are both extremely talented running backs for us."(Which translates to "hey, i thought ladell could do it, i messed up") When has Gibbs ever, ever, ever, ever been 100% honest or literal in his statements to the media? Please tell me when.

He is sticking up for his team, that's all he's doing. He's taking the blame and deflecting criticism away from the players, that's why he's a players coach.

But keep believing that he really thinks Portis and Betts are the same guy and he doesn't know he messed up play calling wise, go ahead. I'm sure it's more fun for you that way.

I dont know where is this coming from considering almost all the critisism after this game has been on the coaches not the players. He is only defending his own decisions.

How do you think Clinton likes hearing that him and betts are equals? Why cant he says "Clinton is our guy" or something like that. Or "Clinton seems to have a nose for the endzone, i made a mistake" We know it, they know it, the media knows, seems only Gibbs doesnt know that Portis>Betts in the redzone.

He does, yes. They clearly planned for that situation and clearly wanted jumbo in. They clearly felt running from the one could work and he's right. If we're a running team, it should work. I grant you, it is quibble worthy whether that strategy was the right one. I would have run a spread play on first down. A quick pass. Sub on second if you want but for me, I'd have kept the field spread.

I would have Portis there, but, Betts is a good back. Gibbs isn't going to apologize for making a decision that didn't work out. There's no blame to take. We score on third or fourth and we're talking here today about how big his balls are and how great a statement it was and blah, blah, blah. It didn't, so we're infuriated.

Again, I'd have done something else, but, Gibbs and company did what they planned in a situation like that. It didn't work out, but, there's really no conversation to be had about it.

im just really confused as to how Gibbs can sit there and be totally honest, as he doesnt lie according to some, and tell us portis and betts are interchangable.

If you click the link he also talks about the spike on first down, saying that throwing a pass with 3 wrs was too complicated for first down. It really pains me.

He doesn't lie, but he is very calculated in his responses. Interchangeable doesn't neccessarily mean equal...stop taking everything literally.

as much as our players practice, in the offseason and during the season, it does not look like the coaches have any practice whatsoever in running the 2-minute drill. for all the talk about how great our coaching staff is, and for how much experience our coaches have as high-level assistants and even head coaching positions, no one seems to understand how to work under the pressure of the clock. the last two games have had some very dire mistakes in clock and game management, it looks like the players have no idea what to do when we make a play and need to line up quickly.

even after the eagles game, you would think joe would sit in the film room and say "gee, i think if we spent a little time at practicing this hurry-up offense thing, we might not look like idiots on sportscenter the next day." we really lucked out in the eagles game at the end of the first half, the odds of throwing a touchdown in that situation were not great, and the players did a good job of capitalizing on andy reid's stupid timeout, but we wasted a play on the one yard line because our coaches did not have themselves prepared for the event that we would get the ball inside the 5 on that play.

if we go through this bye week, and have another coaching snafu akin to the ones in crunchtime in the last two weeks, then there is a serious issue of failure to acknowledge mistakes among our coaching staff. to say you have no regrets about 3 failed plays that ended up with us losing, then there is something wrong, because all of us fans, and the players themselves, damn sure have some regrets.

Gibbs is losing his mystique. I'm not very impressed with him at all. A hall of fame coach needs to know the clock like the back of his hand. He has looked flat out senile in crunch time of games over the past few years. On top of that, we have LOST several games due to his scared second half coaching style. Someone needs to tell him to grow a pair. We get an INT deep in their territory and dont even try to get in the end zone. This team takes after him. They dont even expect to score. Their coach shows no confidence in them. No confidence in the shotgun, no confidence in 3 or 4 wide, and no confidence to go for the throat when we are up. His current style would make Peyton Manning look terrible. We have no tempo, no intensity, and no excitement.

No, I think what he meant was that since Portis had already run in that same play for a TD earlier, the opposing defense would be expecting a run if he was out there instead of Betts. They just wanted to be a bit unpredictable.

Hmmm that is a fair and interesting point, but i would argue that if i remember correctly we were in an I formation and a 2 tight end set. Dont know how much surprise was coming and the gaints were stacking the line.

How do you think Clinton likes hearing that him and betts are equals? Why cant he says "Clinton is our guy" or something like that. Or "Clinton seems to have a nose for the endzone, i made a mistake" We know it, they know it, the media knows, seems only Gibbs doesnt know that Portis>Betts in the redzone.

Did he once ever say that Portis and Betts were EQUALS?

He said interchangeable, you can interchange a mazda for a ferrari, it doesn't mean you'll get the same performance...he never said EQUAL

the playcall wasnt the problem. its a great play, portis scores on that play CONSTANTLY. the problem is, betts does not score ever, and he was supposed to be the guy getting the score, which makes no sense. i have no problem with the playcalling (although i think giving it to sellers up the middle would have been great too), i just have a problem with the personel they decided to keep on the field. you dont put backups in the game with it on the line.

if the chargers need a touchdown, they dont pull LT and put michael turner in there, even though hes a great backup.

He does, yes. They clearly planned for that situation and clearly wanted jumbo in. They clearly felt running from the one could work and he's right. If we're a running team, it should work. I grant you, it is quibble worthy whether that strategy was the right one. I would have run a spread play on first down. A quick pass. Sub on second if you want but for me, I'd have kept the field spread.

I would have Portis there, but, Betts is a good back. Gibbs isn't going to apologize for making a decision that didn't work out. There's no blame to take. We score on third or fourth and we're talking here today about how big his balls are and how great a statement it was and blah, blah, blah. It didn't, so we're infuriated.

Again, I'd have done something else, but, Gibbs and company did what they planned in a situation like that. It didn't work out, but, there's really no conversation to be had about it.

The bold parts Art, i agree 100% with. There is really no loss to throwing a quick pass into the endzone on first down (yes a possible int) but just yell in the microphone to jason to either make it our ball or incomplete.

I was fine with the running plays after that but it is apparent to everyone who has ever watched this team that betts struggles in the redzone while portis thrives there. Portis has his best runs with the endzone in sight, while betts seems to do his best work outside the 20s.

the playcall wasnt the problem. its a great play, portis scores on that play CONSTANTLY. the problem is, betts does not score ever, and he was supposed to be the guy getting the score, which makes no sense. i have no problem with the playcalling (although i think giving it to sellers up the middle would have been great too), i just have a problem with the personel they decided to keep on the field. you dont put backups in the game with it on the line.

if the chargers need a touchdown, they dont pull LT and put michael turner in there, even though hes a great backup.

Well now that Norv is coaching who knows? jk.

That is the point though, starters need to play with the game on the line.

Archived