Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs has no regrets

skinsn24

Gibbs doesn't do the flea-flicker anymore, *cough* Joe Theisman *cough*. We ran a playaction pass the first play down at the goal line and Campbell made a bad throw. Sneak isn't a good play from as far out as they were, but sure they could've tried it.

It's easy to second guess a play when it doesn't work. If any of those plays had worked we wouldn't be saying "Why in the world would you run it in for a touchdown?" "What kind of idiot does that?" "I'd rather see us throw that thing in there as opposed to running in for a score"

See it just sounds stupid.

I am not referring specifically to the last drive, but rather to the philosophy overall. Aside from being unable to run a 2 minute drill as good as some high school teams, we don't really have any "element of surprise" to our offense.

The end around. Who doesn't know we are going to run it? Who doesn't prepare for it coming into a game against us? When have you really seen a great one from us?

I understand why we run it...to keep defenses honest. But there are many other plays that can do the same thing--yet we continue to run the same futile play over and over, week after week.

Albert Einstein once said, "The true definition of insanity is continuing to do the same things over again, yet expecting different results."

Forget the end around. Substitute a flea-flicker. How about a double pass? How about the defense actually having to worry about what we might call just once?

I'm only appeased by winning. And if we're losing for what seems to be no good reason, I think there should be some sort of explanation and blame taken.

You mean like Portis after the game?

:laugh:

See, it's never good enough with the fans. You can't please all the people all the time. Might as well stick to what you know, you know?

He has to take the blame because he is the one to blame. No matter who they bring in here , no matter whether we are ahead or not he is going to play conservative football and that is it. Gibbs is the problem with this team. There is plenty of talent here , what is lacking is the "killer instinct" and let's face it Gibbs is just too nice a guy for that.

Gibbs too nice a guy :laugh: . You obviously haven't been in that locker room before. Gibbs might not yell often or appear to "get mad" but he picks his spots. He knows people better than anyone I've ever seen. He'll figure this thing out.

We can agree to disagree. I figure Gibbs doesn't owe any of us an explanation. I'd rather him focus on beating the Lions than worry about losing one game.

You choose to focus on losing, I choose to look ahead to next week. Neither of us is wrong, in our own way, yours is just never going to happen so why expect it?

Eh, they do hold press conferences for the very reason as "my way".

You can focus on next week, im looking to the lions game. But hey thats me.:cool:

Well he had just been pulled out of the game, he knew he wasnt going back in, nothing really to do but to take a knee.

Yeah, but, you'd think he would be a little more pissed that he wasn't out there.

I love CP but, I doubt that he is that much of a team player. I know that if I were CP, I would give the coach an earful to try and get me out there. Not saying that he should throw a hissy fit but, def should have pleaded his case.. :laugh:

If It's true that Portis took himself out of the game that's just ****ed up.

With the game on the line, you take yourself out of the game? I'd seriously consider trading him after that.

Isn't that like John Abraham a couple years ago saying he wasn't going to play in the playoff game? Except he was hurt. Portis just can't hang, or what?

Forget the end around. Substitute a flea-flicker. How about a double pass? How about the defense actually having to worry about what we might call just once?

how about we beat a team by executing instead of tricking them. Do you ever see the patriots or the colts running trick plays at crucial times in games? no. Good teams win games by executing better, by wanting it more than the other team. The Giants wanted it more than we did yesterday.

Yeah, but, you'd think he would be a little more pissed that he wasn't out there.

I love CP but, I doubt that he is that much of a team player. I know that if I were CP, I would give the coach an earful to try and get me out there. Not saying that he should throw a hissy fit but, def should have pleaded his case.. :laugh:

I gotta disagree here, he gets yanked, there is 51 seconds left, if he starts complaining and taking away joes attention then he becomes a problem.

Behind closed doors today or next week i am sure he will talk to coach

portis is a pretty good team player, he doesn't go out and complain nonstop to the media, he does what his coach says, and he wouldve caused even more problems had he had a TO-like hissyfit on the sideline, and it wouldnt have even gotten him in the game, looked like the coaches had their minds set on getting betts a TD to make it look like we have a threat equal to portis in the redzone.

With the game on the line, you take yourself out of the game? I'd seriously consider trading him after that.

Isn't that like John Abraham a couple years ago saying he wasn't going to play in the playoff game? Except he was hurt. Portis just can't hang, or what?

I really dont think he pulled himself, you can tell when a player pulls themselves because they will tap there head or something or motion to the sideline to let them know they need to send in a sub.

He didnt look happy when he was taken out but he was all pissed either. I am sure he wanted to be in. He loves dancing in the endzone.

and i also worry about portis getting angry with the staff for being so stupid and wanting to leave because of it. its too early to figure this out, but if he keeps getting 15 carries a game, hes gone. and our coaching staff is completely retarded if they cannot see that portis IS THE GUY and betts is merely a backup.

somebody should send joe gibbs a link to betts profile on espn and look at his game log prior to december last year. any 12 year old could have figured out that portis should have been in there on that play.

are you really afraid of that? portis couldn't get what he makes now on the open market.

Eh, they do hold press conferences for the very reason as "my way".

You can focus on next week, im looking to the lions game. But hey thats me.:cool:

That's the media's way, not your way.

If we had your way, Gibbs would stick around afterwards and break down film with you so you could understand. :laugh:

portis is a pretty good team player, he doesn't go out and complain nonstop to the media, he does what his coach says, and he wouldve caused even more problems had he had a TO-like hissyfit on the sideline, and it wouldnt have even gotten him in the game, looked like the coaches had their minds set on getting betts a TD to make it look like we have a threat equal to portis in the redzone.

Never said that he should have a hissy fit. In fact, I said he shouldn't.

I know CP is a team player but, when the game is on the line he doesn't want to be out there? If that is true and CP just agreed to give Betts the chance to tie the game, I commend him. He would have matured so much in the matter of a year.

I just don't buy it. What Art said, could be a little more right then we want to believe.

It can be argued until people are blue in the face....but 80 yards, a game changing fumble, and a few easy dropped passes from Portis doesn't cut it. He is great....those numbers are not.

Add in the fact that he is paid roughly 5x? as much as Betts....and it is clear that he isn't proving himself to be worth the price.

But this debate shouldn't fog up the more important problem--coaching and philosophy.

If one fumble is going to prevent this team from winning, we have serious issues.

3 turnovers shouldn't keep us from winning--our offense needs to be more lethal. The play calling is pathetic, the end around is a complete joke--the entire league prepares for it, and we are seeing about 10 pages of the storied 700 page playbook.

We heard the same crap this preseason the we hear every preseason. Expect vanilla. Gibbs doesn't want to show his hand. Just wait until the regular season starts, then Al will let it rip. Wait to see all the great Gregg blitzes. We will rely on the secondary for sacks. And then--this crap again.

How about a flea-flicker? Play Action? QB sneak? Hello?

You gotta be slow or something...:laugh:

a 4.3 yard per run average is damn good in this league...

Portis is Tied for 3rd in TD's by RB

and in the top half of the league in yards ...all while only playing 3-4 plays at a time and sharing the load....

Its cool to not like someone... but to blatantly ignore the facts is just crazy...:laugh:

Its been said over and over that Earnest byner pulled him from the game because he wanted to try a certain play with Ladell...and after that they ended up keeping Ladell in the game....

This is one instance where a coach should show favortism to his most productive player...and put CP in to win the game...

That's the media's way, not your way.

If we had your way, Gibbs would stick around afterwards and break down film with you so you could understand. :laugh:

Alright keep putting words in my mouth, taking the thread off topic, and trying to throw insults.

I am pissed we lost a game where we were up 17-3, but your obviously cool with losing.

You keep looking forward to next week :doh: , im looking forward to hopefully beating the lions.

Now it is time for bed.

Never said that he should have a hissy fit. In fact, I said he shouldn't.

I know CP is a team player but, when the game is on the line he doesn't want to be out there? If that is true and CP just agreed to give Betts the chance to tie the game, I commend him. He would have matured so much in the matter of a year.

I just don't buy it. What Art said, could be a little more right then we want to believe.

It could be true, but in this situation i think the chance of it being true is very very small, and if it is, then i lose alot of respect for portis. Hell i think he would admit it, if he did pull himself.

But im goin to bed, when i see the highlights again (comin up on espn now, ill look for portis on his final play)

It could be true, but in this situation i think the chance of it being true is very very small, and if it is, then i lose alot of respect for portis. Hell i think he would admit it, if he did pull himself.

But im goin to bed, when i see the highlights again (comin up on espn now, ill look for portis on his final play)

Just check out [ redskinsnation.net ] tomorrow or so. Not sure when he updates the game but, he is pretty good with getting highlights.

I am sure that will be there.

Did you read the quotes. He isnt even taking blame, he is saying they did everything how they wanted. It seems to me that he sees that everything was done and called correctly.

It also seems to me he did blame his guys, the line on the final series.

Also the fact that he doesnt acknowledge that portis is clearly the better player in the redzone is maddness. He even says portis scored on the same play, so we basically wanted to give betts a chance...its madness.

I think Gibbs should just stop talkiing to the media. The more he says, the more disappointing fans like me become(the fans that dont consider him a God that can do no wrong).

Joe Gibbs may have been a great coach and yes he has 3 rings but that was way back in the 80's early 90's. He is just too stubborn in his ways. His way may have worked back in the day but it's obvious that it doesnt anymore. I hope he changes his ways. If not, please retire. He's tarnishing his legacy everytime our team plays like it did in the second half against the giants.

Alright keep putting words in my mouth, taking the thread off topic, and trying to throw insults.

I am pissed we lost a game where we were up 17-3, but your obviously cool with losing.

You keep looking forward to next week :doh: , im looking forward to hopefully beating the lions.

Now it is time for bed.

I was kidding in the last post, hence the :laugh:.

The point is, Gibbs should be as Politically Correct as he wants to be. This loss hurts him plethora more than it hurts you or me, so trust me when I tell you he doesn't owe you a thing. Be grateful for the information he does give us.

I am.

If you can name one coach who comes out and explains losses better than Gibbs, I'd like to know who......

You gotta be slow or something...:laugh:

a 4.3 yard per run average is damn good in this league...

Portis is Tied for 3rd in TD's by RB

and in the top half of the league in yards ...all while only playing 3-4 plays at a time and sharing the load....

Top half of the league in yards? How is his salary? Is that top half of the league?

Is he even at half the pace Betts showed us last season in yards? Is he taking over games, asserting himself as a franchise player?

cry me a river..... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

the coach wont call the plays I want or run the team the way I want it..

sound like a bunch of damn kids..

go to bed, school tomorrow.

No, I think what we're alluding to is the fact that the coach called some really bad plays and mishandled the clock. This cost us in the second half. If he planned that, then he should have PLANNED to have a PLAN B, because the Giants knew our PLAN. I think disappointment in Joe Gibbs about how the second half was handled is justified.

I am not so sure Gibbs really made any terrible decisions at the end.

Not the way people are making it out to be.

Sellers didn't get closer to the goal line or catch the ball....and the Giants were ready.

The Giants beat their men on both rushes....he called a play that if run twice, would usually work.

Portis might have scored on that second run....it is really hard to say.

Archived