Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: "Campbell's Passing Grade"

bigyim

Which will happen Sunday vs. the Giants?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which will happen Sunday vs. the Giants?

• Jason Campbell thows for 300+ yards
    • Clinton Portis/Ladell Betts rush for 250+
    • All of the above
    • Neither

Campbell's Passing Grade

Redskins QB Continues to Get More Comfortable With Receivers

By Jason Reid

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, September 23, 2007; Page D01

No one has published a how-to manual for inexperienced NFL quarterbacks seeking good timing with wide receivers. And you won't find textbooks explaining the nuances of passing while facing bull-rushing defensive lineman and blitzing linebackers. So Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell and his wide receivers will figure it out together.

The Redskins are pleased with Campbell's developing relationship with the receiving corps, coaches said, citing that progress as among the reasons for the 2-0 start. The Redskins face the New York Giants today at FedEx Field.

Despite only nine career starts, Campbell has often appeared in sync with starting wide receivers Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El, combining on big plays in victories over Miami and Philadelphia. There also have been bumps, with unfamiliarity between Campbell and the receivers contributing to some incomplete passes and squandered scoring opportunities.

But considering Campbell's limited time with the receivers, coaches said they are pleased.

"Jason's relationship with those guys is at a high level and it'll continue to get better," associate head coach Al Saunders said. "He's still young in his growth with those guys, and every day is another day to work on their consistency and their timing together. I'm excited about where we're going."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/22/AR2007092201105.html

campbell is progressing very well within our offense. right now he is at the stage where he cannot win games by himself, but he is good enough to help us get there, and we have the weapons around him to support him in case of an error that he may make, provided he doesn;t make too many.

as he progresses, i see our offense changing from the classic joe gibbs style of pound-it-down-their-throats into an offense that revolves more around our quarterback, in the years to come. i love his mobility (which the announcers discounted in the eagles game), and his strong arm, as everyone does, but my favorite part about him is the calm and cool demeanor he has, that has impressed all of the veterans on our team. that is what a leader needs, and it looks like we may have finally found ours.

campbell is progressing very well within our offense. right now he is at the stage where he cannot win games by himself, but he is good enough to help us get there, and we have the weapons around him to support him in case of an error that he may make, provided he doesn;t make too many.

as he progresses, i see our offense changing from the classic joe gibbs style of pound-it-down-their-throats into an offense that revolves more around our quarterback, in the years to come. i love his mobility (which the announcers discounted in the eagles game), and his strong arm, as everyone does, but my favorite part about him is the calm and cool demeanor he has, that has impressed all of the veterans on our team. that is what a leader needs, and it looks like we may have finally found ours.

This.

I might get flamed for saying this, but I see alot of 1991 Mark Rypien in JC, (hear me out first!!)

What I mean by that is JC has the calm attitude and poise in the pocket to step up and deliver bombs to the speedy wideouts like Rypien did in 91*. He gets good protection, and definately has the arm to get the ball down field, Once he syncs up with the WR's.. its gonna be lights out.

*Incidentally, I was talking to a buddy of mine about the 91 SB season, and he said it was so frustrating to watch, because all Rypien did was hang back in the pocket and throw bombs downfield.. I thought it was funny coming from a non skins fan :logo:

To the above comment, once he learns to put a little more touch on the ball he's going to be on his way to a HOF neglected career. I hope he retires a Redskin and with the NFC the way it is right now I see a SB appearance in our near future. Not this year but if this team sticks together and makes the types of personnel moves that allows them to replace outgoing VETS with 2nd or 3rd year guys that have learned this system then I see them being a lot like the early Eagles of this decade but with the weapons on offense that the Eagles were just simply lacking. Hate to say it but if TO was in Philly in '04 and behaved himself like he is now the Birds would have a few NFC Championships and maybe even a big ring or two as well.

HAIL!!!

This.

I might get flamed for saying this, but I see alot of 1991 Mark Rypien in JC, (hear me out first!!)

What I mean by that is JC has the calm attitude and poise in the pocket to step up and deliver bombs to the speedy wideouts like Rypien did in 91*. He gets good protection, and definately has the arm to get the ball down field, Once he syncs up with the WR's.. its gonna be lights out.

To me it's more like Rypien in 1989-1990 but I see what you are saying. The better thing about Campbell is he can avoid the rush much better than Rypien could but I think it also effects accuracy. That is the downside. Rypien knew he couldn't outrun anybody so he got rid of the ball when there was pressure. Campbell might choose to throw on the run.

Archived