Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Chat(NFC East)

wsniper1

all NFC EAst will edit for clarity.

Matt Williamson: (12:01 PM ET ) Matt Williamson here. Let's get started on the NFC East!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SprungOnSports (Long Island): Matt, what will be the keys in the Dallas-Chicago game?

Matt Williamson: (12:03 PM ET ) Great question and wrote that game up for our Scouts, Inc. preveiws. I think Benson will be good, not great, in this game...especially between the tackles. Dallas' O will get theirs, but the Bears' D matches up well against them. Rex is obviously the X factor. He MUST value the ball and not turn it over. I picked Dallas to win because I don't trust Rex one bit, but it is going to be tight. Real tight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rup (Fairfax, VA): What do you think about the Skins chances aganist the Giants considering the track record over the last 2 years where the Skins come off a big win and choke aganis the Giants?

Matt Williamson: (12:04 PM ET ) They will blow them out. Skins win big. The wheels are officially off the Giants' wagon.

john, DC: matty, how do you think chris cooley will do against the giants d this week?

Matt Williamson: (12:04 PM ET ) Real well. He is an excellent player and Campbell really looks to him. If he gets matched against Kiwi-wow, Cooley will destroy that guy in coverage.

Kelvin (Dayton): How do you see the NFC East standings shaking out with Philly looking so poor?

Matt Williamson: (12:06 PM ET ) As a few of you probably know, I picked Philly to win the East and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Wow-that doesn't look so great right now though! Still, I am not ready to discount them completely. All these teams have holes, but NYG is clearly the worst team in the division. Three horse race and Philly better enter the race quickly. The Skins look very solid and I think all three teams will eventually compete for a playoff spot. Gotta pick Big D with a gun to my head today though.

Aaron (Chapel Hill, NC): Matt, it does seem that winning cures all ills, as the Redskins now seem to be getting people's attention, but I'm still cautious. I want to believe that Gibbs has righted the ship, but we've had a rough go for the past decade or so, minus 2 years ago. Your thoughts?

Matt Williamson:(12:08 PM ET ) Yeah, they look much better. They finally have a QB. Campbell is going to be good. Very good. For now, he is simply an improvement. The thing that I keep coming back to with Washington is their overall depth. They already have two major OL injuries and it looks like they have been able to put a band-aid over those wounds, but this team cannot afford to take many more hits with injuries. Still, they have been pretty impressive.

, If McTurd has another bad game, will there be a Kevin Kolb sighting in the near future?

Matt Williamson: (12:09 PM ET ) Whew. That is steep. But McNabb sure seems like he could be Culpepper-esque this year. But is Kolb even ready yet? Doubtful. Gotta stick with McNabb unless he really just showed that the knee is making him ineffective.

Jake (Ft. Collins): How will Santana Moss do this week?

Matt Williamson: (12:10 PM ET ) Much like Cooley, he will blow up. Moss has just missed a couple of big plays this year. They will come.

Bobby (Dallas): What's likely to happen? Dallas and Washington starting 3-0 and NOT making playoffs, or Phill starting 0-3 and making the playoffs?

Matt Williamson: (12:11 PM ET ) None of the above, but I guess Philly. If McNabb finally gets back to where he can be, then...

Aaron (Chapel Hill, NC): As a follow-up on the O-line injuries, how long is Thomas supposed to be out? I'm no doctor, but a torn tricep cannot be good.

Matt Williamson: (12:12 PM ET ) I thought it was a season ender. Maybe I am wrong on that, but I gotta think that he is done. Any of you Skins' fans know for sure? Pretty sure it is over.

AB (CT): What will end up being the best defense in the division?

Matt Williamson: (12:13 PM ET ) Wash. I would have said Dallas before the season, but really think the Ferguson loss is substantial. Also, if Newman and/or Ellis are never 100%, that really makes it tough for their defensive play calling. Washington's back 7 is really tough. .

Jimmy (Springer nm): Do the cowboys have a chance of running the table in the east

Matt Williamson: (12:14 PM ET ) I really don't think so. Winning in Philly and Wash is not an easy task.

Kevin (Manassas): Thomas will be in a cast for six weeks, and could miss 10-12 weeks. They are going to re-evaluate soon, and determine if they need to put him on IR, or if there is a chance he can come back late in the season.

Matt Williamson: (12:15 PM ET ) Nice work Kev. When I saw it happen, I just assumed that he was done, but then when asked about it now, I realized that I never saw that he went on IR. They did sign DeMulling, who isn't good, but at least has starting experience.

Majeed: M-Dub, My team is playing JG's this week so wish me luck man!

Matt Williamson: (12:15 PM ET ) Tear him up bud

Bobby (Dallas): Assuming Tank Johnson proves everyone wrong and behaves, will he really have a big impact on playing 3-4 for Big D? I feel Jay Ratliff will do better than Jason Ferguson anyways.

Matt Williamson: (12:16 PM ET ) Ratliff is a good player, but I don't know that he can handle the long term wear and tear as a starting NT. Not an easy position on the body! I like the Tank signing for them. What do they have to lose? He isn't an ideal 3-4 guy, but Dallas' version of the 3-4 is more penetrating than 2-gapping. Also, Tank can come in on throwing downs and help as an interior pass rusher, which is a nice option for Dallas.

Jason (NJ): How many games do you think the Giants will win this season? And is there anyone in the 08 draft that could be an immediate impact palyer for them?

Matt Williamson: (12:17 PM ET ) 4 at most. How about Glenn Dorsey? DT from LSU. Bad man.

Jason, Charlotte: As a Skins fan, it is so nice to see them winning, even if it is not so pretty! Do you see this team continuing to get better on both sides of the ball?

Matt Williamson: (12:19 PM ET ) Pretty much. S Moss will make many more big plays than he has. Campbell will only get better. That secondary (esp Safeties) will get better and better.

Jimmy (Springer nm): How long will Julius Jones be starting Barber keeps putting up the numbers he is and since it is his contract year will jones be back

Matt Williamson: (12:20 PM ET ) Doubt Jones comes back. Could see Dallas drafting a guy though pretty early next year. Barber is the better player, but both backs benefit from having the other guy there as well. Still, Barber should be getting about 2/3 of the carries in my opinion.

Kelvin (Dayton): What would it take for McNabb to make the Hall of Fame?

Matt Williamson: (12:21 PM ET ) More years doing what he has done for most of his career. When healthy, I would only put Palmer, Brady and Manning above him. He is a superstar. Winning a SB would obviously help though.

Shon (Vegas): Dallas and Chicago, how do you see the battle at the line playing out?

Matt Williamson: (12:22 PM ET ) Dallas' OL is pretty impressive, but I think they will have their hands full, especially with Tommie Harris. On the other side, I give the Bears the slight edge as well. Barely though. Ware could be a real issue in pass pro.

Snrufer (Quad City): When will Jason Avant be starting and either Kevin Curtis or Reggie Brown be benched??

Matt Williamson: (12:23 PM ET ) Too early to bench either Curtis or Brown, but they haven't helped their QB one bit. Still, I am not sold that Avant is an upgrade.

John(Manhatten): Do you think Sean Taylor and Laron Landry will be more feared for their hard hitting or their playmaking abilities?

Matt Williamson: (12:23 PM ET ) Both. Those two are bad bad men. I guess their striking ability. Killers.

Jeffy D (Feeding Hills MA): Did the HBO interview help, hurt, or have no impact upon McNabb's locker room following?

Matt Williamson: (12:24 PM ET ) Probably no impact. The guys in the locker room know whats up and honestly, I don't think McNabb said anything that everyone doesn't already know to some point.

Sam (kansas): Where do you rank Terrance Newman as a Def back in the NFL? Top 2?

Matt Williamson: (12:25 PM ET ) He is one of the best CBs in the league for sure....if healthy, which he might not be for a long time. Champ #1. There are a few other CBs who I would still take over Newman, but not many. NEWMAN!

Dan (Boston, Ma): You mentioned tommie harris...is he the best DT in football right now? last year favre said he was unblockable and was as good as a young warren sapp. Then he got injured and everyone forgot about him. But do you think he is the best player on that D?

Matt Williamson: (12:27 PM ET ) Absolutely. He is the best player on that team. Urlacher is great, but Harris is far more important. Rare ability. He can't two gap like the real big boys (J Williams, Hampton, etc), but if your D wants an upfield guy-Harris stands alone. He looks better than ever and did a long bit on how he could completley dominate this game on Sunday in my game breakdown.

Adam (OH): Do you see Brian Westbrook playing this week and if not will that hurt Philly's shot at winning or will McNabb carry the load?

Matt Williamson: (12:28 PM ET ) That O REALLY needs Westbrook. Differnece maker for sure. Can the win without him? Yes, but their chances go up a ton with him in the lineup. Key to the O.

Grossman is the exact reason why I think Dallas will win, also.
Ditto...as much as I want to believe Chicago's D will slap the Cowboys around, I have zero faith in their offense with Grossman behind center. And Chicago won't keep Dallas to 10 points.

Don't count out Devin Hester's return ability....the Cowgirl's Special Teams isn't that great. He'll score at least one TD for them.

Matt Williamson: (12:15 PM ET ) Nice work Kev. When I saw it happen, I just assumed that he was done, but then when asked about it now, I realized that I never saw that he went on IR. They did sign DeMulling, who isn't good, but at least has starting experience.

Well that's comforting :)

I'd rather stick with Pucillo if it becomes necessary.

Ditto...as much as I want to believe Chicago's D will slap the Cowboys around, I have zero faith in their offense with Grossman behind center. And Chicago won't keep Dallas to 10 points.

I agree. I hate to admit it, but Dallas' O has been lighting up the scoreboard. I don't think even the vautned Bears defense can considerably slow them down. I just hope that Rex doesn't play like he's a drunk 4 year old....he's had two bad games in a row, so by the pattern he followed last season, he should be in line to have a 300 yd./3 TD game, right? :fingersx:

Im gonna be rooting for the Bears like hell but I expect Dallas to win a grudgefest of a game 16-9 or something like that....and then ufortunately the whole NFL world will be talking about Dallas as the hands down #1 team in the NFC. (regardless if we're 3-0)

God I hate the Cowboys.

Don't count the Bears out. Grossman does have his games where he looks very impressive, and he hasn't had one of those yet this season. Hopefully, this will be one of the two or three for this year.

Terrance Newman #2 cb in the league. OMG thats hilarious.

No it's not. I'd take Newman as the #2 CB in the NFL anyday.

bailey of course #1, but Newman is arguably the 2nd best CB in the NFl when healthy. He's as underrated as they come. i'd take him over any of the corners that we have currently.

His man to man coverage is amazing. People barely throw his way and I read that he only allowed 2 TD in his past 2 seasons. He's a stud and needs to be recognized more as the great player he is.

If you'd take DeAngelo Hall over him, lol I'd laugh in your face. hall is the most overrated CB in the NFL. I'd take Carlos Rogers over that POS anyday. He talks so much **** and cant back it up. He got "I OWN U 85" carved into his hair regarding him shutting down Chad Johnson. Johnson had 6 catches for 85 yards and 1 TD against him that game. He's not a top 10 CB IMO at all.

So..........yeah it's not funny at all b/c Newman most def. should be considered the #2 best CB in the NFL and if not that, than #3.

No it's not. I'd take Newman as the #2 CB in the NFL anyday.

bailey of course #1, but Newman is arguably the 2nd best CB in the NFl when healthy. He's as underrated as they come. i'd take him over any of the corners that we have currently.

His man to man coverage is amazing. People barely throw his way and I read that he only allowed 2 TD in his past 2 seasons. He's a stud and needs to be recognized more as the great player he is.

If you'd take DeAngelo Hall over him, lol I'd laugh in your face. hall is the most overrated CB in the NFL. I'd take Carlos Rogers over that POS anyday. He talks so much **** and cant back it up. He got "I OWN U 85" carved into his hair regarding him shutting down Chad Johnson. Johnson had 6 catches for 85 yards and 1 TD against him that game. He's not a top 10 CB IMO at all.

So..........yeah it's not funny at all b/c Newman most def. should be considered the #2 best CB in the NFL and if not that, than #3.

the maybe #3... but I've seen Newman play and we've beaten him...

That is comical... Champ Bailey, That guy from the Bills, who is now on the 49ers... are better... along with many others..

Clements is NOT better than Newman. He is also overrated just like Hall.

Everyone thinks Newman isn't that good b/c all they do is look at names. Hall is a trash talker so everyone knows him and thinks he is good, when really he is overrated, and Nate Clements is overrated and was torched many a time as a Bill. Why do you think they released him???? He WAS OVERRATED!

And for the record, Newman didn't allow 1 TD against ANY Redskins player last season or the season before.

His only 2 TD's have been allowed to Mike Williams of Detroit and Micahel Jenkins of the Falcons. The only 2 TD's in the past 2 seasons have been given up to those 2.

Don't count the Bears out. Grossman does have his games where he looks very impressive, and he hasn't had one of those yet this season. Hopefully, this will be one of the two or three for this year.

Dallas' offense has looked impressive against bad defenses. It will be intruiging to see how they do against the Bears. I expect... 23-17...

Clements is NOT better than Newman. He is also overrated just like Hall.

Everyone thinks Newman isn't that good b/c all they do is look at names. Hall is a trash talker so everyone knows him and thinks he is good, when really he is overrated, and Nate Clements is overrated and was torched many a time as a Bill. Why do you think they released him???? He WAS OVERRATED!

And for the record, Newman didn't allow 1 TD against ANY Redskins player last season or the season before.

His only 2 TD's have been allowed to Mike Williams of Detroit and Micahel Jenkins of the Falcons. The only 2 TD's in the past 2 seasons have been given up to those 2.

I'm just saying, Newman has not impressed me to the point where he is #2 in the league behind Bailey. I have seen him play only twice a year, but I don;t think he is a shutdown corner...

Archived