Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Calzaghe(43-0) vs. Mikkell Kessler(39-0) Tonight HBO 9p.m.

HEavyJumbo85

You gotta have the rematch. Even if it's hard to make the weight, you do what it takes to make it. If he lost a decision, then he can move up in weight without much abuse from the fans & media. But a devastating KO and to run up to a bigger weight class is just WRONG. Calzaghe, Kessler are too big for him at 168 lbs...looking at Taylor's face in the post fight interview, OUCH!!!! :yikes: At least he wants the rematch. :applause:

Feel sorry for Taylor - you get the feeling HE can't believe he lost that fight. It really looked like he was too quick for Pavlik, and was just going to continue to beat him to the punch. Pavlik is surprisingly physical. I really thought Taylor had his number after the first knock-down.

Thats what I love about boxing though. You can't put a value on heart. Pavlik had it tonight.

Dude the judges in this fight were so for Taylor it wasn't even funny. They had Taylor winning almost every round, we would've been real disappointed had this thing gone to the cards.

That is why I don't get into boxing anymore. It is all about the money. Let the champ win and build the hype on the rematch.

I'm not sure I agree with the ref's decision to stop the fight... Taylor was about 6 inches from the ground when the ref called it... Should have at least given him a chance to try to get up from that knockdown

I don't think you saw what most of us did. Taylor wasn't getting up from that. He couldn't even keep his eyes forward when they were showing him right afterwards. Even if he had gotten to his feet, there's little chance he would have been able to walk forward to the referee. Taylor just caught him with a few incredible shots, and that was it. I can't wait for the rematch.

Bring on Calzaghe-Kessler!

Dude the judges in this fight were so for Taylor it wasn't even funny. They had Taylor winning almost every round, we would've been real disappointed had this thing gone to the cards.

i'm not so sure, there was the obvious 10-8 round for Taylor. and every round after the 3rd (which was clearly pavlik) were extremely close and could be scored either way.

Guest sith lord
he didn't punch himself out, he pick and chose his shots. it would be impossible to fight at the rate Taylor did when he dropped Pavlik for the entire 12rounds.

Did you see the second rd? Taylor was spent after he knocked Pavlik down.

Feel sorry for Taylor - you get the feeling HE can't believe he lost that fight. It really looked like he was too quick for Pavlik, and was just going to continue to beat him to the punch. Pavlik is surprisingly physical. I really thought Taylor had his number after the first knock-down.

Thats what I love about boxing though. You can't put a value on heart. Pavlik had it tonight.

I definitley feel bad for Taylor, the critics are gonna have a field day. Jermain made it a point of emphasis that he was coming to shut them up, and he said some things that he definitley regrets right now. They're gonna tear him up and unless he wins this rematch, he might have a hard time recovering from this whole ordeal. Which is a shame because he's a great fighter and i'd love to see a guy like him succeed. Hopefully this won't hurt him too bad.

For anyone who watched the boxing on SHOWTIME:

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headlines//EEAEEEFZpuVFfyybSD.html

WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (25-0, 17 KOs) scored a one-sided fourth round stoppage of late sub Epifanio Mendoza (28-5-1, 24 KOs) on Saturday night at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California. Dawson seemed to have Mendoza in trouble at the end of round three, and referee Jon Schorle finally jumped in to stop the beating at 2:30 of the fourth.

Joseph Agbeko captured the IBF Bantamweight championship as the Ghana born fighter landed a series of lead right hands on champion Luis Perez in the 7th round that had referee Dan Stell calling a halt to the bout at the end of the round on the advice of the ringside physician Smith Ketchum. “I examined him in the 6th round and his pupils responded slowly, causing me concern,” said Ketchum after the fight. “After the 7th round, I rechecked his pupils and they reacted more slowly; that combined with the multiple head blows I saw him taking caused me to stop the fight.” Making the first defense of his IBF Bantamweight title, Perez had trouble all night finding range, often coming up empty on his determined opponent. Agbeko who’s only previous loss was a close majority decision to Wladamir Sidorenko in the current WBA champion’s home base of Germany, moves to 25-1 with his 22nd knockout victory. Perez who held the IBF super flyweight title for three years making three successful defenses before moving up in weight falls to 25-2 with the defeat. “I’ve seen his fights and I knew he was going to throw big shots early,” said the new champ, “I just gave it back to him. He didn’t have the stamina to take it. If the referee didn’t stop it, I would have stopped it.”

In the beginning Taylor had his number to a point.

Like you said Taylor got the quickness but Pavlik was able to stand in and take the best of what Taylor had.

Pavlik is all guts I believe Taylor didn't prepare like he could have and took the fight for granted.

This is a great fight for boxing...it really needed something like this to happen.

Did you see the second rd? Taylor was spent after he knocked Pavlik down.

he used the 3rd round to recover, Taylor went on to throw the same amount of punches he normally does per round. He threw alot of wasted shots in that flurry, but you can't blame him for trying to end the fight. He saw an opportunity and went for it, it just didn't work out for him. **** happens.

on another note Pacquiao is going to retire Barerra in a brutal fashion next week.

I have no idea how pavlick has any power, he had almost no muscle definition at all but his punches def packed alot of power.

When HBO shows the replay of this fight later tonight and in the morning, watch the Countdown to Pavlik/Taylor. Look at what he does for strength conditioning.

I don't think you saw what most of us did. Taylor wasn't getting up from that. He couldn't even keep his eyes forward when they were showing him right afterwards. Even if he had gotten to his feet, there's little chance he would have been able to walk forward to the referee. Taylor just caught him with a few incredible shots, and that was it. I can't wait for the rematch.

Bring on Calzaghe-Kessler!

Nah I didn't see what you guys did... I worked 11 hours and immediately came home and the fight was on... my eyes still aren't really focused...

Nah I didn't see what you guys did... I worked 11 hours and immediately came home and the fight was on... my eyes still aren't really focused...

yeah Taylor was done. I was suprised at first too, but Taylor made no effort. Maybe he couldn't believe what happened, but whatever it was, he wasn't all there.

Well, it was a great night of fights...Estrada showed a lot of heart against Berto, but Andre was just too good. The guy is a stud and he's gonna get a big time belt sooner rather than later. He put the welterweight division on notice tonight.

And of course in the main event, Pavlik came off the canvas to knock out Taylor. A lot of action, good boxing exhibition as well. Can't wait for the rematch.

Archived