Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

While Were on the Subject of Black QBs...

mojobo

I always found it interesting that with an emphasis being placed on black quarterbacks and black coaches that (correct me if im wrong) there is only one black quarterback on a black coaches depth chart that being Charlie Batch, and of the black coaches who have coached at least one year not one has a black quarterback on their roster, let alone starting. I personally dont know why this is and definitely will not call these coaches characters into question or their abilities since they seem to be great coaches but you would think at least one black qb could get at least a 3rd string role on one of their rosters. Again I don't know why this is or even if they have the decision on their front office moves but just thought i'd put it out there.

The NFL has acknowledged its lack of cultural diversity in coaching, management and quarterbacks. And it's made significant progress to improve the situation (albeit not lightning fast). But really, it comes down to two things. The chemistry and development of an organization. And being the most qualified candidate.

The manner in which Donovan McNabb brought up the whole race issue was disappointing. Disappointing because it was overly critical and ignorant. I mean, Kordell Stewart wasn't replaced because the Steelers found a better quarterback, right? He was replaced because he was black. Yeah, that must be it!

Quarterback is one of the positions with least depth. And it also comes with the highest turnover. I'm not surprised by the lack of black quarterbacks, but I know those numbers will continue to increase over time.

why are you not surprised?

I'm not surprised because it was highly unorthodox to have a starting black quarterback in the 70s or 80s. A lot of owners were hesitant (and some probably still are) to change the face of their franchise. Extraordinary players like Randall Cunningham and Warren Moon changed a lot of perspectives that a quarterback should be white. And our franchise showed the world that a black quarterback can win a championship.

It's kind of redundant, but it goes back to what I mentioned earlier. It has been changing, but at a slow pace. And quarterback is a difficult position to secure, whether you're first, second or third string. It takes a lot of qualities to be a successful quarterback in the NFL. There are, however, mysteries even I can't comprehend...like Heath Shuler. ;)

Mark Brunell could scramble until 2006... ::ducks::

I really don't see color in football. You don't pick a black or a white player just to have them, you pick the best you can get at any given time. I'd say the teams I played on years ago were well mixed considering the population of the area and we never thought anything of it. They were supposed to consider everyone equally and they did, hell, I was almost a starting RB as a then big white kid. I was even the first to play professionally and my coach knew it. You see, we got invited to a bowl game in Maryland and my much older half brother came out and made a bet that he'd give me $100 if I scored. The coach was grooming me to be his starter and naturally he put me in for a 2 point conversion that may very well have won the game. (I dont recall but we did win)

Anyway, I know I just went off on a tangent about my own brief glories but the point was that I took handoffs from and helped block for both black and white QBs and could have cared less about it. White, Black, Asian, or something else, I hit you just as hard if you pissed me off in practice. The only guy who ever had enough class to apoligize to me for possibly going overboard giving me crap, considering we were on the same team, was Black.

As for the Redskins, I always liked Ramsey but I think that might have been more out of desperation to have a good, young QB, more than anything else. In 2005, I will admit that I had no idea who Jason Campbell was. Now, I beleive that if he is not our future, no one ever will be. Campbell is the man!:notworthy

^^^ throughout history, it has been unorthodox to have black players at any position, so how have black players integrated into every other position, but not QB?

You're dealing with different timeframes, though.

ONce integration occurred at the other positions, the abilities of black football players allowed them to place quickly in those positions, relative to the one position they were often (but not totally) denied.

Quarterback was the last barrier, just as head coach was the last barrier, so it makes sense that even if the pace established for the proliferation of blacks in the NFL was identical to the pace for proliferation at QB that we'd see fewer at QB because the 'starting point' was about 30 or so years after the other positions.

I would point out that it used to be that middle linebacker was kept from blacks too as it was deemed a 'thinking' position. Now I don't believe there is an issue.

Look how quickly the complexion of the NBA changed from American to heavily international (of all races.) That was, what, 15 years? I'd say give it another 10-15 years and see where we're at but don't ignore the possibility that there are other factors OTHER than the views of owners or coaches involved.

Sometimes people DO self-select and this spills over into basically every sociological issue.

I'm not surprised because it was highly unorthodox to have a starting black quarterback in the 70s or 80s. A lot of owners were hesitant (and some probably still are) to change the face of their franchise. Extraordinary players like Randall Cunningham and Warren Moon changed a lot of perspectives that a quarterback should be white. And our franchise showed the world that a black quarterback can win a championship.

It's kind of redundant, but it goes back to what I mentioned earlier. It has been changing, but at a slow pace. And quarterback is a difficult position to secure, whether you're first, second or third string. It takes a lot of qualities to be a successful quarterback in the NFL. There are, however, mysteries even I can't comprehend...like Heath Shuler. ;)

I don't think it's a mystery.

I think it's actually real simple. It has to do with history, and yes, it has to do with race. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that black (I honestly dislike that term, seeing that everyone is a different shade of brown, but anyhoo) people are generally (and I mean GENERALLY, NOT ALWAYS) more athletic. There are so many other positions on the football field that require much more athleticism than the QB position, and it seems that black people tend to be more athletic at a younger age than others. As a result, coaches put them in positions where they can use their athleticism the most, and that usually ends up being a position other than the QB one.

It all boils down to the QB position being the position that requires the least amount of athleticism on the football field. It requires smarts, toughness, and arm strength more than anything. Since other races find it more difficult to always compete athletically with black people, it is only natural they've found their comfort zone in the QB position, or even on the Oline where athleticism is also less of a factor. It is why you see in every Defense, where speed and athleticism is extremely important in almost every area, a majority of black players. It is why you see the same thing in the WR and RB positions. The less athletic the speed positions get, like say the TE position, the more you see from other races.

That being said, I think more and more coaches are seeing it fit to have as athletic a QB as possible. It certainly makes for a huge advantage. That's why we're seeing more and more black QBs as we move on.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

I am going to say something unpopular but aside from Warren moon there has never been a marquee BLACK PASSING QB, Doug Williams was solid, Leftwhich was decent and Culpepper was good for a short while but Cunningham only had maybe 3 great years passing and no black QB ever had great stats for more than 2 perhaps 3 years other than Moon. I think it all boils down to temperment, mental acuity and personality.

I am going to say something unpopular but aside from Warren moon there has never been a marquee BLACK PASSING QB, Doug Williams was solid, Leftwhich was decent and Culpepper was good for a short while but Cunningham only had maybe 3 great years passing and no black QB ever had great stats for more than 2 perhaps 3 years other than Moon. I think it all boils down to temperment, mental acuity and personality.

mcnair has been a passing QB, and went to the super bowl

....and black QBs don't have good temperment, mental acuity and personality???

How come all the other races don't get a race card to hold up and wave around until they get what they want?

Just asking, lol.

Considering the almost total lack of success of black QB's there sure are a lot of them out there.

Doug Williams wasn't a runner. He's still the only one to get a ring. Even Steve Young and Elway didn't get one until they chilled out and became actual QB's.

The good thing is I think the Skins have the right guy. He's not a runner, he can though if he needs to and he's a real QB who thinks like one instead of when in doubt, run.

There really isn't a marquee black QB in the league.

Define "marquee".

Until his recent injury troubles, McNabb was one of the best qb's in the league (hence all the focus from ESPN on his performance). From a marketing standpoint, he's still one of THE most visible QBs, behind Laser Rocket Forehead Manning, Vick (until recently), and...? anyone else?

Vince Young came into the league with a whole lot of hype and expectation, was the offensive ROY, on the cover of Madden, and has already gone to the pro bowl.

Plus we're only a few years past co-MVP Steve McNair and the once-great Culpepper.

Vince Young came into the league with a whole lot of hype and expectation, was the offensive ROY, on the cover of Madden, and has already gone to the pro bowl.

Thats the problem though. A qb like Young can be a huge difference against a crap defense and will win some games. The problem is the run threat isn't going to win in the playoffs. It has never gotten a team to the Super Bowl. Young got to the Pro Bowl with almost the worst QB rating in the NFL because he ran for 500 yards and 7 TD's.

Campbell is probably already better. His rating will be better and I bet he doesn't average a fumble and an interception a game either.

Archived