Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SKINS Fan Feels MUCH better after watching Dallas game

Deefense

I have to say it... our D looked great against the team ranked #29 in points per game last year. Miami couldn't score to save their lives.

If we are going to say Dallas looked good against a bad defense... then well we have to accept that we looked good on defense against a bad offense.

Yea we're taking this one game at a time. SOmething you guys aren't doing. "Dallas offense is so great let be like them" please. Let wait a few more weeks till we proclaim anything?

I have to say it... our D looked great against the team ranked #29 in points per game last year. Miami couldn't score to save their lives.

If we are going to say Dallas looked good against a bad defense... then well we have to accept that we looked good on defense against a bad offense.

Except that Miami has, by way of Cameron, a completely new offense and team focus on offense. Green provides a stable, capable veteran. It's likely the Dolphins will not be a top offense this year, but, it's equally likely they'll improve from where they were a year ago and we had the hardest task for having to open up against them without knowing as much about how Cameron would use the pieces he has than teams will as the year goes on.

The Giants both lack talent and have defensive problems with the early injury to Osi and Strahan's lack of conditioning to deal with. They were atrocious. The Dolphins team we watched was not good on offense, but, you can see why they'll be better. Green will keep some things alive and make them so.

So next week if Tony lights up the Miami defense, what will be the excuse then?

We talked the last two weeks how the Miami secondary sucked and how Campbell would light them up. We talked about how Moss owns Will Allen. All we did was talk about how crappy the Miami secondary was.

Then the game comes, JC looks awful, and we start saying, "that's ok, they are the toughest pass defense in the league."

Seriously, if Romo sits to pee lights up Miami next week, what are you going to say then?

Give it a rest. Between your comments and your name, I'm having a hard time deciding wheter your a troll or just a total hater.

When you start saying something contructive, someone might listen to you.

But right now, your just hating on everything. How do we even start to take you seriously. If you hate everything that bad, go root for another team.

Or maybe your just a troll that needs a ban, i dunno.

Give it a rest. Between your comments and your name, I'm having a hard time deciding wheter your a troll or just a total hater.

But right now, your just hating on everything.

Eh? I have been saying good things about our running game and our defense. I just made a comment about happy I was to see how well Carter was playing.

But because I can spot the obvious... that JC look terrible... and am willing to say it, that makes me either a troll or hater? No. It just means I'm not a homer drowned in the kool-aid.

When you start saying something contructive, someone might listen to you.

But right now, your just hating on everything. How do we even start to take you seriously. If you hate everything that bad, go root for another team.

Or maybe your just a troll that needs a ban, i dunno.

You're not the only one who notices what a non-fan looks like :0.

In the end, we played a Top 5 pass defense and Top 5 run defense from a year ago. A top pressure team and sack generating team. We handled them ok and did more to stop ourselves than they did to stop us. The Cowboys looked very crisp and sharp in the passing game. Conversely, we're a running team built to wear teams out over time and we did that better than Dallas did.

I'll be the first to admit I'd like to really start looking more crisp and efficient as a team out there and we didn't look that way today. But, while I'd rather score 45 points than 16, I'd also rather surrender 13 than 35. Shootouts are fun, but, you don't win Super Bowls on shoot outs. You win them on defense and a running game, though, with the Pats and Colts winning with passing offenses and good defense -- when it mattered -- you can see a shift obviously.

After one week, fans of the Cowboys and Redskins have enough to be happy about and enough to be worried about to worry about comparisions at the moment.

If Dallas or NY puts up more then 26 points on us I currently see no indication that we have the offense to keep up with them. It's pretty much been that way since the return of Gibbs. On a positive note, Portis looked good today and Campbell showed flashes of having the necessary decision making and throwing skills. On the negative, the Jansen injury scares me and the secondary looks to be soft. I thought we would be much improved in the secondary but Smoot and Rodgers disappointed.

You're not the only one who notices what a non-fan looks like :0.

In the end, we played a Top 5 pass defense and Top 5 run defense from a year ago. A top pressure team and sack generating team. We handled them ok and did more to stop ourselves than they did to stop us. The Cowboys looked very crisp and sharp in the passing game. Conversely, we're a running team built to wear teams out over time and we did that better than Dallas did.

I'll be the first to admit I'd like to really start looking more crisp and efficient as a team out there and we didn't look that way today. But, while I'd rather score 45 points than 16, I'd also rather surrender 13 than 35. Shootouts are fun, but, you don't win Super Bowls on shoot outs. You win them on defense and a running game, though, with the Pats and Colts winning with passing offenses and good defense -- when it mattered -- you can see a shift obviously.

After one week, fans of the Cowboys and Redskins have enough to be happy about and enough to be worried about to worry about comparisions at the moment.

Woh, Art, let's not elect the Dolphins to the Superbowl just yet. The Dolphins are a pedestran team at the end of the day that will not make the playoffs this year. Perhaps the offense is better with Trent Greene and may improve. It's great to get a W but let's not forget that we squeaked it out over an average team today versus what some of the elite of the NFL did this weekend.

I must admit both teams D were weak. If the giants could have stopped Dallas a few times, they may have won. Once NY got going, Dallas had little to do to stop them. When the so-called experts talk about dallas' D being so great and a mediocore team puts up over 30 points on you, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. At least with the Skins, in the last 5 games our D has only allowed 2 Td's

Woh, Art, let's not elect the Dolphins to the Superbowl just yet. The Dolphins are a pedestran team at the end of the day that will not make the playoffs this year. Perhaps the offense is better with Trent Greene and may improve. It's great to get a W but let's not forget that we squeaked it out over an average team today versus what some of the elite of the NFL did this weekend.

It's true that the Dolphins may end up not being a great team, but it's also true that we may be underestimating them. With the parity in the NFL it's hard to tell in the very beginning of the season. Their defense is going to keep them in just about every game this year and if they can get more offensive contribution than last year they stand a good chance of being in the playoff hunt. I think you could say the exact same thing about us.

I watched the Dallas/NYG game also and it was just plain wild. It's obvious that their offenses are ahead of us, particularly in the passing game and that scares me. I think we can safely assume that our defense will be strong against the running game, but the Miami game has put big question marks all over our secondary. This could end up being a very bad matchup for us if our pass coverage doesn't shape up. Even with their bad defenses, if they torch our secondary we simply don't have the offense to keep up.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all shapes up, because obviously we don't have a clear picture after only 1 game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=28863&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=REG1

This is the NO Saints first game last year.

I don't think anyone was crowning them after one game, or even talking about that game as meaning anything except one in the W column by week 10. :doh:

Point is we'll know more in a few weeks. What you learned today is that the team has some chemistry to build from. I heard several identical comments from players about Redskins football.

That's a departure from last year.

Not only that, Bmitch said Philly sucks and we should beat them:laugh:

That game reminded me of the shoot out we had with TB back in '05.

But these 2 defenses looked a lot worse than that.

If anyone noticed but the passes Romo sits to pee missed were just horrible passes. Nowhere near the WR. He benefitted from the Giants lack of someone making sure Witten was covered. That to me is why the Giants lost besides the injuries.

Agreed that both defenses looked horrible. I think we would've put up monster points, and probably will if things stay this way when we play them. JC had a few problems today, but a win is a win (I have a feeling I'll be saying that a lot those week to the pessimistic members of ES.) Good news is CP looked good and Betts looked good. Cowboys couldn't stop ANY of the Giants RBs and vice versa, I think we're looking good right now.

yeah, my first reaction after watching that game was the same as the OP. reading the NY Giants message board, they were completely fed up with their secondary play (sound familiar??). I really believe we have all the tools to be successful on D this year. Upgrades in speed at LB and coverage in the secondary make us more flexible.

However, the offense for both the Gmen and Dallas did look very crisp IMO. Granted, the defense was awful on both sides, they were still executing conistently in the passing game. Once we can put it together and keep the chains moving on 3rd down (IE not dropping routine passes), we can keep our D off the field and give them more freedom with play calling once our O puts some points on the board early.

I really want to see our boys strike first and early instead of taking a few quarters to warm up and work out the kinks in our offense. we always put our D in tough situations (which, for the most part, they handle very well). it would just be nice to see us have a lead of 10+ points before the half so our boys can tee off on D and really put the games away.:2cents:

I think we ought to feel good that we will have the best Defense and best Running game in the NFC East. But our passing game is pathetic compared to them.

I would say the passing games are as follows:

1. Dallas

2. Eagles

3. NYG

and we are a distant, distant 4th.

JC isn't in the same league as McNabb, Romo sits to pee, or Manning.

Really, really early to be making that call. Jason has what will be one of his worst games of the year and we won with a great running game and good D. Thats a good thing.

Re our passing game we have the deep ball back in the offense which teams are going to have to respect and that will open up some things in the middle and for Portis and Betts. Jason has to be more accurate on the short and intermediate throws - he had some balls sail on him and missed both Moss and ARE on 3rd down plays when they where wide open. I saw enough last year from him to think that is not typical.

The first interception looked like either a bad read by Jason or a bad route from Cooley. The second was a good read and a decent throw but the DB made a good play (maybe he should have thrown to the outside shoulder of Lloyd not inside) when Jason has every right to expect his receiver to go up and make the play and at least end up with an incompletion. Happy to see him being agresive and taking a shot.

I'm looking forwards to seeing Jason Moss and ARE go against the Cowboys and Giants secondary becuase both have serious issues with both coverage and tackling.

I saw enough from the Skins to give me hope for a good season. Great running game and great run D - some pressure on the passer from our D and very good pass protection and run blocking from our O. Good deep passing game and the emergence of a #2 receiving threat which if it gets repeated will give Santana more 1-2-1 opportunties.

We will win our share of games with the above. To be a championship type team though Jason needs to turn those two INTS into two TD's.

Too much rationalizing her IMO. We don't face you guys until November and when you come up with stuff like this, it comes across as being worried. :2cents: You should be enjoying your win but obviously you have concerns. It's week 1. There's still too much football to be played to determine who's what yet. Certainly, Dallas must tighten up defensively. Sometimes games are all about matchups, and the Giants were prepared for alot of things and exploited us. We both have tough matchups next week and we'll learn alot more come next Sunday.

We talked the last two weeks how the Miami secondary sucked and how Campbell would light them up. We talked about how Moss owns Will Allen. All we did was talk about how crappy the Miami secondary was.

Then the game comes, JC looks awful, and we start saying, "that's ok, they are the toughest pass defense in the league."

Seriously, if Romo sits to pee lights up Miami next week, what are you going to say then?

Wow! You are the funniest poster ever on ES.

I could swear you're a pukes fan.

Sorry if I offend you by saying this, but I don't think you'll be offended...

:laugh: :laugh:

Too much rationalizing her IMO. We don't face you guys until November and when you come up with stuff like this, it comes across as being worried. :2cents: You should be enjoying your win but obviously you have concerns. It's week 1. There's still too much football to be played to determine who's what yet. Certainly, Dallas must tighten up defensively. Sometimes games are all about matchups, and the Giants were prepared for alot of things and exploited us. We both have tough matchups next week and we'll learn alot more come next Sunday.

The only one who seems worried (and well you should be) is you. :laugh:

Our defense played as expected and our offense went against one of the best defenses from last year...and we still rushed for more than 100.

I have to agree with you. Even I was thinking we should have good numbers in the air against Miami. We struggled in the secondary. If we continue to struggle, we're not going to beat the Giants or the Cowpukes. :2cents:

Surprised no one has asked the question. WHY WAS SPRINGS PLAYING THE NICKLE YESTERDAY.

I was at the game and I will tell you when springs was in he shut down chambers. Once he came out, that is when mostly smoot and sometimes rodgers was toasted by Chambers. We did not give them help either. I am wondering if Williams was testing them under fire today. We shut down their running game so we should have been either able to double Chambers or blitz. We did neither.

When springs was in he was also flying so I don't think he was injured.

Relax pal. What we didn't talk about was how Portis and Betts would be getting over 150 yards rushing combined against what could be the best front 7 in football ;) . JC looked spotty with his two INTs but then again he had some gorgeous long throws on a D that was top 5 against the pass last year. BTW I am picking Miami this week against the Pukes because honestly if EM and company can put up 35 points against their D in Dallas I say Green will do just fine also.

Archived