Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry - Did anyone else notice...

TCO

That pass was 10 to 15 yards over their head. I was at the game and it was like clockwork. Springs in = Chambers shut down. Springs out = Smoot smoked. Those drives where Chambers on Smoot. I blame GW as he gave him little Safety support, and why was springs playing the nickle corner role?

Williams has said in his extremeskins interviews that Springs is better in run support than Smoot. Plus he can blitz him from the nickle.

Either the safeties played extremely well or nothing happened around them, I didnt hear their names all day.

The only one getting picked on was Rogers, I don't even know where to start with that guy.

Smoot is gonna prove you guys wrong to.

Exactly.

... Rogers was getting picked on? Dude check the game out it was all Smoot. Only in the 4th quarter did they pick on Roger. Why you guys hate on him so much?

Why? Because Carlos "No D" Rogers sucks. He's is an absolute bust. And he did get picked on the WHOLE game. And if Miami were smarter they would have kept going at him late in the fourth quarter, because they would've been able to move right down the field.

As far as the actuall point of this thread, Landry was in the box a lot in the preseason, infact I thought we had him playing back today more than we did durring the preseason. In general, I don't think we blizt enough durring this game.

Landry will be in for support, 8 men in the box, Landry will be there.

Rogers was horrendous today, as usual. The performance of one individual is making our entire defense suffer. Last year he had 2 memorable plays which mattered, he broke up two passes intended for recievers in the endzone, however he was being burned and abused by offenses like a ragdoll. He needs to improve his gameplay tremendously or you will see Landry much more.

How can you guys criticize Rogers but not Smoot? Rogers only had one bad quarter and he was covering the number 1 wide reciever since Spring was playing nickle. Please the hate is so obvious.

Most things on Smoot's side were underneath. Carlos Rogers on the other hand is the new Ade Jimoh, if you see him expect something bad to happen. If you see a flag, its on him.

And why is that an excuse? What happen last year when Roger gave up the underneath stuff? You were yelling bust.

Did you see the PI? He was concerntrating forthe ball that was out of reach. The WR put a arm across his chest and Roger just pull it down because he was concerntrating for the ball. He only played bad in one quarter against their number 1 reciever. Most of the passing yards are from the RB and underneath stuff anyway.

the eagles game should be different. mcnabb will test our secondary better than green did today

Actually I think Green was a better test. Our defense is design to take away the deep pass with Landry and Taylor. This is all about matchup and McNabb specialty is the deep pass. I don't think McNabb will have any success next week.

You guys forget that Trent Green is the master at the quick release and findingthe underneath stuff.

Either the safeties played extremely well or nothing happened around them, I didnt hear their names all day.

The only one getting picked on was Rogers, I don't even know where to start with that guy.

Smoot is gonna prove you guys wrong to.

i saw taylor launching himself into ball carriers a bunch of times. and he was in good position over the top of the cb's on a couple of plays.

did anyone else notice that the Fins would not have scored, and the game would not have gone into overtime, if Mike Sellers, Peirson PReloue, and Rabach had not each had a TEN yard penalty in the third quarter. 30 frikken FREE yards for the Dolphins in the third quarter because of three dummies.

'three dummies??????'

Have you ever played football, or any sport?? Mistakes happen. Ask any GM in the NFL if they'd like to have Mike Sellers, Peirson, or Casey Rabach!! You sound like the dummy.

Carlos is a BUST. He is not a top flight CB and is the weakest link in the defense.

Smoot is worse than Rogers and Philip Daniels is our weakest link in my opinion. We don't get any pressure from our front four and it makes our secondary look bad.

We have playmakers in the secondary who rarely get the chance to clean up or capitalize on mistakes made by pressured QBs. It's why our secondary gets picked apart. Even Champ Bailey struggled here.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time seeing this.

I really didn't see much of either Taylor or Landry other than Landry taking out that one receiver's legs (forget who)... but all in all I saw him flying around which at least for me is a good sign... someone who I really thought played well on defense was Rocky McIntosh.

Generally, the entire defense played extremely well. Carter had a sack. Griffin plugged the running lanes in the middle all day. Washington, Rocky, and Co. provided excellent contain.. Landry and ST were solid. Shawn Springs was a force against the run on the edge, and hustled to get that fumble recovery. Rogers and Smoot were OK in coverage, but were also tough against the run.

This was a good defensive outing for us. GW will make some adjustments, but not many. GW still doesn't want offenses to get behind his defense. He wants to keep all the action in front of him. Maybe next year when he gets an overpowering DE to go along with Carter, he will have his CBs press more at the line of scrimmage.

Dude, you are biased, I played corner and two things stick out=Carlos intiated the contact first and he slowed or Chambers showed the ref a slowdown in his route, which btw is excellent play by Chambers. And really the ball was not blantantly overthrown.

Now the truth of the matter is this, the ball was not catchable, but a corner can't make and at the very least continue that type of contact after 5 yards.

To me it looked like they were both running straight when Chambers started to veer to the sidline, which is when contact occurred. However, even if you are right, the correct call would have been illegal contact, not PI…

Generally, the entire defense played extremely well. Carter had a sack. Griffin plugged the running lanes in the middle all day. Washington, Rocky, and Co. provided excellent contain.. Landry and ST were solid. Shawn Springs was a force against the run on the edge, and hustled to get that fumble recovery. Rogers and Smoot were OK in coverage, but were also tough against the run.

This was a good defensive outing for us. GW will make some adjustments, but not many. GW still doesn't want offenses to get behind his defense. He wants to keep all the action in front of him. Maybe next year when he gets an overpowering DE to go along with Carter, he will have his CBs press more at the line of scrimmage.

A fair analysis imo, I knew coming to this board today that it was going to be all on the play of our corners but come on guys, noone here expected Smoot to be as good as Springs. There were a few issues with both corners in this game to perfectly fair. I dont think either one flat out sucked but both had mental errors that I would hope can be fixed for next week.

Bottom line is we need better corner play, thats a fact. I think we lucked out big style on the dropped balls that Miami had but we came away with the W. We need to build on that in Philly to be fair, its a 15 (more) game season now.

... Rogers was getting picked on? Dude check the game out it was all Smoot. Only in the 4th quarter did they pick on Roger. Why you guys hate on him so much?

I think we hate on him because we expect a lot out of him. We all had high hopes for him coming out of college. We all hoped for a shut down corner, but what we have is an average corner with terrible hands. Pressure and expectations come with being that pick. He will get picked on until he gets better. I haven't given up on him yet, but the pick looks like a mistake so far.

I thought that Green did take advantage of the fact that both Smoot and Rogers were giving a large cushion. It looked like Chambers felt he could match up well with both -- although I thought Smoot showed he had more veteran tricks. That's why I think more passes when Rogers' way in the second half.

Rogers still concerns me, I'm not sure he should be giving that much of a cushion, because I'm not sure it helps him that much. but regardless, I'm sure Rogers plays according to the scheme.

I wonder about the scheme on defending against 3rd down and long: if the opponents only need 9 yards to convert their third down, wouldn't you want cut back the cushion your corners give to something like a 5-7 yards? It looked like we were willing to concede the first down, if the pass is completed in front of us. Are we just playing percentages that the something will go wrong with the pass? (Luckily that worked a lot yesterday, with all the drops.) Considering our D-line's age and stamina -- that might not always be the best way to go.

Of course, if we could get more of a pass rush -- that would tilt the percentages in our favor. Our pass-rush was spotty yesterday. True, Carter did get a sack, but overall I wasn't that impressed with the pass-rush against a less-than-stellar offensive line. Green was hurried a few times, but didn't seem to be running for his life that often.

This is true. We shut down the run completely, and forced these dinks and dunks. If our offense puts up 20, it's a win for us, cause you can't win a game by dinking and dunking.

Given your age I'm going to assume you never saw Joe Montana play. He won 3 super bowls and hardly threw a pass over 30 yards down field. Heck when the 49ers practiced they did it on a 50 yard field. Yards on catch after the run count as well.

That said with the speed defenses have today its getting harder and harder to win without at least the threat of a deep ball to create some running room and open up the intermediate throws.

If we average 20 points a game we go 8-8 or 9-7 and maybe sneak a wildcard. To be a legit contender we have to put up 24 or 25 points a game - might not seem a lot more but it makes a 2 or 3 win difference.

Given your age I'm going to assume you never saw Joe Montana play. He won 3 super bowls and hardly threw a pass over 30 yards down field. Heck when the 49ers practiced they did it on a 50 yard field. Yards on catch after the run count as well.

That said with the speed defenses have today its getting harder and harder to win without at least the threat of a deep ball to create some running room and open up the intermediate throws.

If we average 20 points a game we go 8-8 or 9-7 and maybe sneak a wildcard. To be a legit contender we have to put up 24 or 25 points a game - might not seem a lot more but it makes a 2 or 3 win difference.

You're generally right about the Montana 49ers, but there are aren't any teams in the NFL that could reproduce their success in the league by dinking and dunking….I think GW is pretty good at accessing other teams offensive gameplans. The majority of teams will lose all rhythm and have a hard time putting up many points if they focus on short passing all game. There are some teams out there that could still succeed at running or going deep even if we try to take them away. Miami wasn't one of those teams, so our gameplan worked...

:applause: :cheers:

I think we hate on him because we expect a lot out of him. We all had high hopes for him coming out of college. We all hoped for a shut down corner, but what we have is an average corner with terrible hands. Pressure and expectations come with being that pick. He will get picked on until he gets better. I haven't given up on him yet, but the pick looks like a mistake so far.
who are you coming his potential to? what football player would you say has done better starting their NFL in the past 5 years at CB? jason allen? champ bailey? antrell rolle? pac man? dangelo hall? please answer this question... :doh:

is this a trent green joe montana comparison??? :laugh: :laugh:

is this a trent green joe montana comparison??? :laugh: :laugh:

Hell no :) Just pointing out that hiting high percentage passes and putting your player in a position where he can make additional yards after the catch has had some success over the years in the NFL.

Trent Green has been a good QB in this league but Joe Montana was special.

I do agree though with the points made that in the modern game, with the speed of defenses you need to be able to stretch the field to make room to both run and throw the shorter passes. If you don't have a deep threat what happens is what we did to the Dolphins - you can't run and end up in second and third and long too many times and 7 yard completions just don't get it done.

For all teh angst about our passing performance on Sunday the one thing that stood out was our ability to hit the deep ball. Team playing us are going to have to respect Santana and ARE deep which will make it a LOT easier to run and if we can get Cooley out catching passes not blocking he should find a lot of room over the middle.

Archived