Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry - Did anyone else notice...

TCO

That he was playing as 3rd or 4th linebacker alot? He seemed to be helping with the run game alot. And I didn't really remember them using him like that in preaseaon... maybe it was just me.

What do you think his role is going to be on this defense? I'm kind of concerned with Smoot and Rogers getting picked on like they did today.

If Smoot and Rogers get burned in upcoming games I would expect Landry to get put into coverage more, but we used him like we did in the preseason from what I saw. We are playing a Cover 3 type of defense, which basically uses LL as a rover in a 4-4 kind of front (as opposed to 4-3 or 3-4). There's a link in a thread explaining it somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

As a SS, it'll change from week to week based on the opponent's tendencies. Miami was doing nothing but short crap for most of the game, so they kept him in the box.

Next week against Philly, he should be all over the field. Close to stop Westbrook but they'll drop him on passing situations.

Against New York, I'd use him to shade Shockey and Burress.

Either the safeties played extremely well or nothing happened around them, I didnt hear their names all day.

The only one getting picked on was Rogers, I don't even know where to start with that guy.

Smoot is gonna prove you guys wrong to.

... Rogers was getting picked on? Dude check the game out it was all Smoot. Only in the 4th quarter did they pick on Roger. Why you guys hate on him so much?

... Rogers was getting picked on? Dude check the game out it was all Smoot. Only in the 4th quarter did they pick on Roger. Why you guys hate on him so much?

Most things on Smoot's side were underneath. Carlos Rogers on the other hand is the new Ade Jimoh, if you see him expect something bad to happen. If you see a flag, its on him.

Landry will be in for support, 8 men in the box, Landry will be there.

Rogers was horrendous today, as usual. The performance of one individual is making our entire defense suffer. Last year he had 2 memorable plays which mattered, he broke up two passes intended for recievers in the endzone, however he was being burned and abused by offenses like a ragdoll. He needs to improve his gameplay tremendously or you will see Landry much more.

As a SS, it'll change from week to week based on the opponent's tendencies. Miami was doing nothing but short crap for most of the game, so they kept him in the box.

Next week against Philly, he should be all over the field. Close to stop Westbrook but they'll drop him on passing situations.

Against New York, I'd use him to shade Shockey and Burress.

I agree

Either the safeties played extremely well or nothing happened around them, I didnt hear their names all day.

The only one getting picked on was Rogers, I don't even know where to start with that guy.

Smoot is gonna prove you guys wrong to.

The dolphins were calling their plays based off wherever area 51 lined up. If they played back, they ran the ball, if they played up, they passed.

That he was playing as 3rd or 4th linebacker alot? He seemed to be helping with the run game alot. And I didn't really remember them using him like that in preaseaon... maybe it was just me.

What do you think his role is going to be on this defense? I'm kind of concerned with Smoot and Rogers getting picked on like they did today.

I'm not exacty sure what Landry's assignment was, it seems as though Williams left him out in "left field" which reminds me of Archuletta. Neither Smoot or Rogers played the way I thought they would, yet there's time for improvement. :)

"I bet there won't be a lot of people to run on that defense with Landry in the box," Cameron said.

The full quote:

"I've been in some situations where you think we're going to have a tough time running the football this year, then you look at the tape. Washington had eight men up a lot, especially early. They had Landry down in the box. I bet there won't be a lot of people to run on that defense with Landry in the box as the eighth man."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dol0909rbs,0,5298442.story

Its called cover 3 defense people, C rogers, S Taylor and F Smoot cover a third of the field allowing L Landry to roam near the line of scrimage. Its how LL was used in college and i think the CB play is exactly what GW wanted to accomplish also the LB and DL were nice compliments in stoping the run and i look forward to this defense being top 5 in the league barring injury

Archived