Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry - Did anyone else notice...

TCO

smoot was much worse than Rogers. They were picking on him all day. He flat out can't cover anyone and can't catch to save his life. Were screwed...teams are just going to throw at him all year. No1 will be throwing the ball at springs this year.

wow, 1 dropped pick, and the dude can't catch to save his life. he did get picked on, but he never got beat to the point that he gave up a td

Why is everyone hating on our CBs? their job was to not allow the deep bomb and they weren't really in man coverage as discussed earlier about the cover 3, they allowed the short passes....We held them to very few points, and I think the most crucial 3rd down conversions were made on dump off passes over the middle in which Marcus Washington couldn't make open field tackles to get the defense off the field.

Most things on Smoot's side were underneath. Carlos Rogers on the other hand is the new Ade Jimoh, if you see him expect something bad to happen. If you see a flag, its on him.

The flag on that PI was bogus and should have been picked u. The ball was nowhere catchable. Rogers and Chambers were holding each others hand down there.

C'mon now the new Ade Jimoh? Lets get a little more realistic. Carlos did his job pretty well maybe that's why they went after Smoot more than Carlos. Ever think about that.

Stop hating on the man.

:cheers:

Why is everyone hating on our CBs? their job was to not allow the deep bomb and they weren't really in man coverage as discussed earlier about the cover 3, they allowed the short passes....We held them to very few points, and I think the most crucial 3rd down conversions were made on dump off passes over the middle in which Marcus Washington couldn't make open field tackles to get the defense off the field.

I think Marcus can't fully wrap up with his elbow being wrapped up. When that thing comes off he will be making those tackles.

I have to say people REALLY need to stop hating on Carlos. The passing game was none existant for the Fins and in most cases when I saw a completed pass it was 27 not 22 getting beat ... the PI call should have been illeagal contact if anything not the worst call of the day though

As a SS, it'll change from week to week based on the opponent's tendencies. Miami was doing nothing but short crap for most of the game, so they kept him in the box.

Next week against Philly, he should be all over the field. Close to stop Westbrook but they'll drop him on passing situations.

Against New York, I'd use him to shade Shockey and Burress.

I think you will see Landry follow Westbrook all over the field next week - he may even line up in the same huddle from time to time. Take Westbrook away and the Eagles are a very ordinary offense. McNabb is not as mobile as he was and will not hurt you on the scramble the way he could a couple of years ago. LJ Smith has a groin injury and will not be full speed.

On passing downs Landry with linebacker help on Westbrook should be the call every time and challenge them to beat you with their wideouts.

the eagles game should be different. mcnabb will test our secondary better than green did today

Agreed - but has he the weapons out wide to do that? Take away Westbrook and with LJ Smith still hurting I like our chances. It will be more of a test though.

I don't see them hurting us on the ground though and McNabb is not as mobile as he was - if he does run he needs to be hit and hit hard by the way - so it comes down to McNabb and co versus our secondary and our running game setting up big plays with play action for our O.

We play a bend but don't break D. It takes teams a few first downs to get into a scoring position. We only have to stop them getting one of those first downs, and we get a few tries at it each drive.

What's the problem?

I think that's fine against a team like the Dolphins who are not an explosive offensive team in a game you expect to be close and low scoring - against say the Pats though if we sit back in those zones Brady will pick us apart.

I have to say people REALLY need to stop hating on Carlos. The passing game was none existant for the Fins and in most cases when I saw a completed pass it was 27 not 22 getting beat ... the PI call should have been illeagal contact if anything not the worst call of the day though

That pass was 10 to 15 yards over their head. I was at the game and it was like clockwork. Springs in = Chambers shut down. Springs out = Smoot smoked. Those drives where Chambers on Smoot. I blame GW as he gave him little Safety support, and why was springs playing the nickle corner role?

The only one getting picked on was Rogers, I don't even know where to start with that guy.

Smoot is gonna prove you guys wrong to.

Were Smoot and Rogers swapping jerseys?

27 was the target all day long.

If he's going to prove anyone wrong, how about he starts with the WRs who correctly think he's easy meat.

~Bang

yeah.... miami was terrified to go down the field. ST had 10+ shut down

how bs was that pass interference call against carlos..... such garbage

I'm biased, but what I saw in the replay was Chambers holding down Rogers arm, not vise versa....

Either way, it was a weak call on an overthown ball? Chambers didn't even raise either of his arms....

No has been able to answer this question, other than C Rodgers what 1st round corner in the last 5 years has shown more upside than C Rodgers?

See but nobody takes into account the rule changes allowing and promoting more scoring. The flag on Rogers was correct, he had his hand pulling down the WR's arm way past the five yard limit. And even if the ball was uncatchable it is a foul to slow down the WR, and in this case it was not needed. Now in the old days of DG, Deion and the likes corners could be much more physical. But hey the NFL wanted more scoring.

Too bad and too sad Bailey did not want to stay here, period.

I'm biased, but what I saw in the replay was Chambers holding down Rogers arm, not vise versa....

Either way, it was a weak call on an overthown ball? Chambers didn't even raise either of his arms....

Dude, you are biased, I played corner and two things stick out=Carlos intiated the contact first and he slowed or Chambers showed the ref a slowdown in his route, which btw is excellent play by Chambers. And really the ball was not blantantly overthrown.

Now the truth of the matter is this, the ball was not catchable, but a corner can't make and at the very least continue that type of contact after 5 yards.

Did you watch the game? A CB's job isn't just t stop the bomb either. CB's aren't just supposed to be nickled and dimed the way Smoot was. Seemed like the Dolphins were looking for him. He has to make opposing teams think twice before coming at him like that. Hopefully it was just 1 game.

Either the safeties played extremely well or nothing happened around them, I didnt hear their names all day.

The only one getting picked on was Rogers, I don't even know where to start with that guy.

Smoot is gonna prove you guys wrong to.

Smoot looked so much worse than Rogers.

Most things on Smoot's side were underneath. Carlos Rogers on the other hand is the new Ade Jimoh, if you see him expect something bad to happen. If you see a flag, its on him.

that flag at the end was right 20 feet in front of my seats. That was a bogus call.

Its called cover 3 defense people, C rogers, S Taylor and F Smoot cover a third of the field allowing L Landry to roam near the line of scrimage. Its how LL was used in college and i think the CB play is exactly what GW wanted to accomplish also the LB and DL were nice compliments in stoping the run and i look forward to this defense being top 5 in the league barring injury

This is true. We shut down the run completely, and forced these dinks and dunks. If our offense puts up 20, it's a win for us, cause you can't win a game by dinking and dunking.

Archived