Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's beginning to look a lot like 2005

E-Dog Night

Since everyone and their hot second cousin are making season predictions, I thought I would graze amongst the sheep. And the more I think of it, the more this coming season reminds me of 2005.

For openers, there's Gibbs coming off a losing season. He has followed up every losing season he's ever coached (only 3 in 15 years) with a winning season, and I believe that trend will continue.

In 2005 there was a quarterback, hand picked by Gibbs, entering his second season under the current offensive system. Same in 2007.

In 2005, the Redskins opened at home against a defense-first team with a new coach and a new quarterback. Sound familar?

The Skins had a bye in the first month of 2005. Yep, it's happening again this year.

In 2005, the offense struggled to find itself early while Gregg Williams' defense kept the ship afloat for a signature Gibbsian late season run. With Campbell starting his 1st season, and Portis, Samuels & Kendell getting up to speed, this again looks likely, especially if the preseason results of the defense carry over into the fall.

The Redskins faced a division foe in week 2 on Monday Night Football in 2005. And whaddaya know...

Skins played The Bucs at Tampa in the middle of the season, and again in 2007...whoops, that's happened every year since Warring Harding was in office.

Every media moron in the country was predicting the Redskins to finish in last place in 2004. Not much seems different this year.

So all signs point to 10-6 and a playoff victory, with a sweep of Dallas thrown in for good measure.

I'll take it.

Redskins have talent competitive with the other teams in the NFC looking toward the playoffs. Ultimately, it will be injuries that determine how far this team goes.

In 2005 the Redskins lead by Brunell, Portis and Moss were healthy and went 10-6.

In 20006 Brunell, Portis and Moss were not healthy and the cumulative injuries on defense would have torpedoed any other team as well as Washington.

This was a 5-11 team that would not have been 5-11 with a healthy roster.

2007 is the chance to show that.

hopefully, Carlos Rogers has been sleeping with his football so he won't drop another game changing interception as in Seattle in the playoffs :doh:

Sean Springs was a big loss last year. Kenny Wright. I mean Kenny Wright. That was absolutely horrific. Kenny Wright. Exchange Archuleta for Landry and Fletcher for Marshall and we are an entirely different team. Defensively, we are really really different. Archuleta was an abomination. Salavea was hurt, Montgomery and Golston were improving, Brunell killed the beginning of our season along with Portis. If you need reasons to believe we will be better defensively I think they are just everywhere. That being said we didnt exactly get murdered every game last year and we could have and should have won a few of them that were flat out given away. There is every reason to objectively believe this team will be improved. How much? I say 3 more wins = 8 - 8. A break or two. . 10-6.

I would prefer not to have to win the last 5 games in a row to make the playoffs though......

but i would take it no matter how it happens....

Oh but that was a hell of a 5 week run, wasn't it? :)

This year, I'm picturing a scenario where the Skins & Cowboys are both 9-6 going into the last game; the winner makes the playoffs and the loser goes home. And we know how that movie ends - good guys win in last second, heroic fashion, while the defeated, evil Cowboys lay stunned in a heap of smoldering rubble...and Cooley gets the girl. :D

This is the way the NFL works these days. Even very good teams are up one year then down the next. Look at the Chargers, Panthers, Steelers, etc... over the last 4 or 5 years. Even New England missed the playoffs the year after their first Super Bowl victory. The fact that we were 5-11 last year doesn't mean we won't be back in the hunt this year.

So all signs point to 10-6 and a playoff victory, with a sweep of Dallas thrown in for good measure.

Just curious.... but if Clinton Portis misses 4-6 games this year... would you actually "bet" on that 10-6 record still? Is Betts capable enough that if Portis misses some significant time that this team is still capable of that record?

Or does the 10-6 record hinge on Portis' health?

I don't know what to think about Portis' health. I think the condition is real (he wasn't faking it to miss practice) -- and I know the training staff did the right think giving him rest, stretching and strengthening exercises.

But I'd be lying to myself if I don't think Portis' condition *could* recur and cause him to miss some time -- how much, I have no idea. I think it's a very real possibility.

And with that kind of question mark looming.... I suppose you have to take into consideration how important you think Clinton Portis is to the success of the Washington Redskins. And I don't think they're good enough to go 10-6 with him missing a few games.

So with that being said, I wouldn't be so confident as to predict a 10-6 record with that very real possibility that Portis may miss some time. If Portis plays all the games.... I think 10-6 is a possibility -- and that includes EVERYONE staying healthy. And I don't know how realistic that is either.

:stop: :doh:

One bad year, one bad year! And everyone thinks Portis has always been hurt. I don't get it and I don't beleive it at all. He still made some great plays during his bad year too, I might add. 38 yard TD vs Dallas anyone?

Go check Portis' history. He's missed a few games with 1 year the exception.

And I'm sorry you don't take his tendinitis condition seriously. It's considered a "chronic" injury in the medical community.

Bottom line. If Joe Gibbs wanted to accomodate Portis this preseason and hold him out entirely..... and expressed as much (citing LT or his injury last preseason as an example), I would be fine with that. Honestly.

So I think it's unnecessary to fabricate a medical condition to hide that motivation.

If Portis is truly has tendinitis.... that's a cause for concern. And if that's the REAL reason that caused Portis to miss an entire month of practice..... I'm not sure how anybody in good conscious can completely dismiss that there's a chance it might have long-term implications.

I'm hopeful. But if Portis gets through this season without any ill-effects... he would have beaten the odds.

I think 10-6 is the ok point. Anything less we have underperformed (but that may change depending on who is injured and when). Anything more and we are doing what we should be doing which is playing great team football.

Coach has had time now to get his team playing great team football. It all starts Sunday.

How many sleeps till football? God each day is dragging.

I like the way you think. :cheers:

I don't.

Forget all the schedule coincidences. The Lions can probably point to some similarities to 1957.

First of, 2005 started with Ramsey and, obviously, very shaky commitment to him on the part of Joe. We're clearly settled at QB this year, barring injury.

We started 2005 with the #3 defense, in the league from 2004. This year, fingers crossed, they might be dominant after being 30th last year.

Those are two huge differences. We finished '05 with a broken down qb and the defense carrying the whole load. And lost in round 2.

If things fall in place this year, a dominant defense is going to have an explosive, dangerous offense watching their backs.

And we'll be in Arizona this coming February.

HTTR

Archived