Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's beginning to look a lot like 2005

E-Dog Night

Just curious.... but if Clinton Portis misses 4-6 games this year... would you actually "bet" on that 10-6 record still? Is Betts capable enough that if Portis misses some significant time that this team is still capable of that record?

Or does the 10-6 record hinge on Portis' health?

I don't know what to think about Portis' health. I think the condition is real (he wasn't faking it to miss practice) -- and I know the training staff did the right think giving him rest, stretching and strengthening exercises.

But I'd be lying to myself if I don't think Portis' condition *could* recur and cause him to miss some time -- how much, I have no idea. I think it's a very real possibility.

And with that kind of question mark looming.... I suppose you have to take into consideration how important you think Clinton Portis is to the success of the Washington Redskins. And I don't think they're good enough to go 10-6 with him missing a few games.

So with that being said, I wouldn't be so confident as to predict a 10-6 record with that very real possibility that Portis may miss some time. If Portis plays all the games.... I think 10-6 is a possibility -- and that includes EVERYONE staying healthy. And I don't know how realistic that is either.

I honestly feel that this season hinges on many of our players staying healthy. Portis, of course, being at the top of the list with Campbell, Fletcher, and Samuels.

I'm hopeful. But if Portis gets through this season without any ill-effects... he would have beaten the odds.

Just like when the Redskins signed Brunell, I expect Portis to miss a couple games. He has done it almost every year.

IMO he doesn't condition himself for a full season like LT does even though he tells us that he's the same caliber of player.

Just like when the Redskins signed Brunell, I expect Portis to miss a couple games. He has done it almost every year.

IMO he doesn't condition himself for a full season like LT does even though he tells us that he's the same caliber of player.

IYO, what do you think LT does that Portis doesn't, as far as conditioning is concerned? I'm just curious.

Since everyone and their hot second cousin are making season predictions, I thought I would graze amongst the sheep. And the more I think of it, the more this coming season reminds me of 2005.

For openers, there's Gibbs coming off a losing season. He has followed up every losing season he's ever coached (only 3 in 15 years) with a winning season, and I believe that trend will continue.

In 2005 there was a quarterback, hand picked by Gibbs, entering his second season under the current offensive system. Same in 2007.

In 2005, the Redskins opened at home against a defense-first team with a new coach and a new quarterback. Sound familar?

The Skins had a bye in the first month of 2005. Yep, it's happening again this year.

In 2005, the offense struggled to find itself early while Gregg Williams' defense kept the ship afloat for a signature Gibbsian late season run. With Campbell starting his 1st season, and Portis, Samuels & Kendell getting up to speed, this again looks likely, especially if the preseason results of the defense carry over into the fall.

The Redskins faced a division foe in week 2 on Monday Night Football in 2005. And whaddaya know...

Skins played The Bucs at Tampa in the middle of the season, and again in 2007...whoops, that's happened every year since Warring Harding was in office.

Every media moron in the country was predicting the Redskins to finish in last place in 2004. Not much seems different this year.

So all signs point to 10-6 and a playoff victory, with a sweep of Dallas thrown in for good measure.

I'll take it.

The similarities are very interesting. I like the team we have right now, with young guys on defense like Montgomery, Golston and Landry coming and with key veterans like Springs, Griffin, and Daniels healthy this year.

On offense I see Campbell becoming one of the 'young guns' in the NFL, spreading the ball around and stretching the field. I think Brandon Lloyd will have a break out season and quiet many of his critics. Santana will be Santana. Then you have Clinton Portis.... remember him.... the guy is a baller, nuff said.

I think the Skins can win even more games than they did in 2005. I think they have more talent on this team. And the talent on teams in the NFC East aren't as good. The Giants don't have Tiki, Dallas' defense in my opinion has taken a step back - and they have new systems to adjust to, McNabb will never be the total package he once was.....

I like the Skins' chances this year, but, they must go out there and execute and play the kind of ball they're capable of.

Archived