Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For those who want a solid #2WR....

BALLz

...He might be here week 7. Thats the week the Cardinals come to town. Now I know the season hasn't started yet and we should give our guys a chance but there is still a lot of talk around here about us not have a viable #2 WR So this would just give them a little something to think about. Bryant Johnson is a 5 year veteran and former first round pick out of Penn State. He's been stuck on the depth chart behind two of the best recievers in the league and he is a FA at the end of the year. At 6'3" 213lbs, he has the size everyone here is always talking about and also has great speed. Obviously if Llyod and/or Randel El step up we'll have no need for him but if they don't keep an eye on Johnson. He's from Baltimore to so somewhat of a local guy.

Yep, all for landing Johnson at some point. I think he's a FA after this season. I think it will hinge on how well ARE and specifically Lloyd plays though - obviously.

We need a fast WR that can battle for contested balls. I think it's a legit concern regarding the height of ARE, Moss and to a lesser extent Brandon and their matchups with today's typical DB.

Cooley is quick and physical for a guy his size obviously, but he is not fast IMO. If he were faster, Cooley could probably be placed a notch above that of Gates IMO likely the best TE in the game from an offensive weapon POV.

If Johnson can put up 700 yards a season behind Boldin and Fitz...he could be a stud #2.

He is interesting and we should keep and eye on him but it hard to tell if he is a player in his own right or does he benefit from being the 3rd guy. Defenses don't game plan for Johnson. They are worried about what Boldin and Fitz are going to do.

Sometimes guys who shine as an after thought suffer once they are in the spotlight.

Yep, all for landing Johnson at some point. I think he's a FA after this season. I think it will hinge on how well ARE and specifically Lloyd plays though - obviously.

We need a fast WR that can battle for contested balls. I think it's a legit concern regarding the height of ARE, Moss and to a lesser extent Brandon and their matchups with today's typical DB.

Cooley is quick and physical for a guy his size obviously, but he is not fast IMO. If he were faster, Cooley could probably be placed a notch above that of Gates IMO likely the best TE in the game from an offensive weapon POV.

I love Cooley and he does a hell of a job at picking up YAC but he is not on the same level as Gates. Gates is just more physically gifted than Cooley in all aspects.

As far as the original point here, I think Bryant is a hell of a reciever. He could start on quite a few teams, but just like the OP said he's stuck behind two great ones. I'd like to see how ARE does as a #2 and if Lloyd can pick up his production, but if they fail Bryant could be a great FA option.

I love Cooley and he does a hell of a job at picking up YAC but he is not on the same level as Gates. Gates is just more physically gifted than Cooley in all aspects.

As far as the original point here, I think Bryant is a hell of a reciever. He could start on quite a few teams, but just like the OP said he's stuck behind two great ones. I'd like to see how ARE does as a #2 and if Lloyd can pick up his production, but if they fail Bryant could be a great FA option.

I love Cooleys YAC but he has got to secure that ball. He leaves it exposed too often making the extra effort.

that TD ARE caught...he sure did a heck fo a job battling for a contested ball.

If ARE can step up, he's shown the ability to play above his size, but then again so has Moss. I would love to see Johnson suit up as a Skin but Lloyd AND ARE have Td's in the preseason..something they couldnt say last year :D

he was a bust until Boldin and Fitz showed up

PASS

So what? He averaged over 18 yards a catch last year, meaning he's got the speed that Boldin and Fitz don't. WTH does a defense to when we send him and Moss both on 9's? More importantly, who's covering Cooley when the safeties are playing cops and robbers with our speedsters?

Plus, he's big, non a ego-maniac, and because he's a third WR, we can get him cheap.

He is interesting and we should keep and eye on him but it hard to tell if he is a player in his own right or does he benefit from being the 3rd guy. Defenses don't game plan for Johnson. They are worried about what Boldin and Fitz are going to do.

Sometimes guys who shine as an after thought suffer once they are in the spotlight.

If we were able to bring him in he wouldn't be in the spotlight. Moss would be in the spotlight still. I would love to see him as a Reggie Wayne type role. And if for some reason teams did put the "spotlight" on him, could you imagine Moss going against a #2 corner.

Anquan Boldin 6'1" 217

Larry Fitzgerald 6'3" 226

Bryant Johnson 6'3" 213

They've got some big WR targets in Arizona!

Johnson's got decent numbers for a #3, with potential to be a 2:

2006 40 catches 740 yards

2005 40 catches 432 yards

2004 49 catches 537 yards

2003 35 catches 438 yards

0 in 04

3 in 05 (1 lost)

0 in 06

Hes fine, dont mess with his mechanics too much, it could end up disastrous

It is not just the ones that end up on the ground. As he stretches out the ball is not secure in his hands.

Again love Cooley I am not saying he should change I am saying that there are times he is exposing the ball for a few more yards.

If we were able to bring him in he wouldn't be in the spotlight. Moss would be in the spotlight still. I would love to see him as a Reggie Wayne type role. And if for some reason teams did put the "spotlight" on him, could you imagine Moss going against a #2 corner.

So you have one versus two in front of the guy. Moss is great but not the same type of receivers that Bolden and Fitz are.

Instead of looking for players outside I am hoping that Llyod can get his head on straight and put ups some numbers this year and make it a moot point.

Lloyd AND ARE have Td's in the preseason..something they couldnt say last year :D

ARE had at least 2 receiving last year. One against Houston on a screen and another later in the year at home from JC, I think against ATL but maybe Carolina.

I am all for bringing Johnson in next year if Lloyd doesn't figure it out. That would give us the big possesion guy across from Santana that we have been lacking and allow ARE to move back to his natural slot position. Good eye, BALLz.

I love Cooleys YAC but he has got to secure that ball. He leaves it exposed too often making the extra effort.

Secure the ball more? He's had 3 fumbles w/ 1 lost in 3 seasons and that was in 2005. He fights for the ball each and every time it's needed and wins the majority of the time. Cooley is a beast and along with Gates, he's going to be the top TE in the game this season.

Secure the ball more? He's had 1 fumble in 3 seasons and that was in 2005. He fights for the ball each and every time it's needed and wins the majority of the time. Cooley is a beast and along with Gates, he's going to be the top TE in the game this season.

I guess I watch a different game then the rest of the board. I am not saying he puts the ball on the ground like Tiki used to. I am saying that if you watch closely as he fights for those extra yards the ball is often not as secure as it should be and that it is exposed. I also see the ball loose at times as he goes to the ground. He maintains possession but the ball is still loose.

Why is it that fans have to blind themselves to reality. Yes he has only fumbled 3 times but there that does not mean there is not other opportunties to fumble.

People don't seem to get it that you can be love Cooley, CP, JC etc... and still criticize aspects of their game as a fan without being a hater.

You could say that about anyone though. It could be that if he changes his mechanics, it will impact how he runs. Or, if he worries more about the ball, he could change the way he runs. I understand you point, and I don't think anyone is accusing you of hating on Cooley...the thing is, despite three years of this "problem," he's only lost one fumble. Thus, since it hasn't been a problem in three years, why would you assume it will become one?

Archived