Can We Please Bring in Zach Piller?

method man

Whom to start as 2nd Rb?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Whom to start as 2nd Rb?

• Portis vs Dolphins
    • W. Dunn vs Vikings
    • C. Taylor vs Falcons

If either Kendall or Thomas gets hurt, as it is, our OLine will suddenly become very average. I don't trust Pucillo, Wade, or the washed-up Fabini. Piller got cut by the Giants, because the Giants signed the massive guard from Cornell Kevin Boothe (a 3rd round pick last year). Piller suffered from injuries last year but he is still young enough for a guard (less than 10 years) to be a good backup to our starters. At 6-5, he is also tall enough to take over Pucillo's role as the extra tight end because he could potentially also be a receiving threat.

I bet that if something were to happen (God forbid) to our OL durring the season, and Piller is still available, then we would bring him in. However, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

You shouldn't wait until something happens. You should bring him in now so that he can learn the blocking schemes. It's not as if Fabini is in our long-term plans anyway.

What kind of pisses me off even more is that we didn't put a waiver claim in on Kevin Boothe. He is a slightly smaller version of Dockery with smarts. He started for the Raiders last year as a rookie and scouts actually considered him one of the Raiders' best OLs (not saying much, but impressive for a Day 2 rookie guard). He would have been an excellent project for Bugel and we would have had Kendall's ultimate successor in him.

Pillar was a stud for the Tits...maybe he still has something left. I never heard of Boothe.

Heyer and Wade aren't going anywhere, so I guess taking either would mean releasing Pucillo?

Part of my Boothe bias stems from him being possibly the only player from my college in the NFL :laugh: , but he is, in fact, good, young, and cheap. Too bad he is a Giant now.

If we pick up Piller, we will probably cut Fabini.

I think depth is a concern for the O line. I think we should take a flier on this guy and see how he does.

I think they are pretty happy with the current backups of Heyer and Wade at tackle, and Pucillo at Guard and Center, with Wade able to fill in at guard in a pinch.

I certainly think it is possible that Fabini could be replaced at some point, but if they didn't like what they had, we would have seen one of these guys already.

Jason

I think they are pretty happy with the current backups of Heyer and Wade at tackle, and Pucillo at Guard and Center, with Wade able to fill in at guard in a pinch.

I certainly think it is possible that Fabini could be replaced at some point, but if they didn't like what they had, we would have seen one of these guys already.

Jason

Said perfectly. :applause:

The Redskins already had Pillar in for a visit this year, but for some reason didn't offer him a contract. He was out most of last year with an injury. When the Skins didn't offer him a contract, he signed with Detroit. He was then released by Detroit and signed again with the Giants. Now the Giants released him before the season even started. So you have to wonder if he is fully healthy?

As for Boothe he was a 6th round pick by the Raiders and not a 3rd round pick. The Raider OL was pretty lousy last year, so if they released Boothe, then he probably has not improved very much.

The Redskins already had Pillar in for a visit this year, but for some reason didn't offer him a contract. He was out most of last year with an injury. When the Skins didn't offer him a contract, he signed with Detroit. He was then released by Detroit and signed again with the Giants. Now the Giants released him before the season even started. So you have to wonder if he is fully healthy?

As for Boothe he was a 6th round pick by the Raiders and not a 3rd round pick. The Raider OL was pretty lousy last year, so if they released Boothe, then he probably has not improved very much.

Or it can be the newb Lane Kiffin being very idiotic with his moves. He let quite a few good players go.

In regard to Piller, the main concern with him are injuries. According to Giants fans, he looked solid in the preseason. Injuries, however, are not a huge concern for OL backups, especially one who will only hit the field only if either Kendall or Thomas is out.

You shouldn't wait until something happens. You should bring him in now so that he can learn the blocking schemes. It's not as if Fabini is in our long-term plans anyway.

This is very true, but I just don't see us making any major changes in the next couple of days.

From everyone's comments during pre-season, I think we could have done better than sticking by Fabini. ...And it's not like Fabini was a long-term veteran with the Skins.

The only thing he's got going for him, is that he had a full training camp to try to learn the Redskins offensive line schemes. Still, so did a lot of other guys that we cut.

From everyone's comments during pre-season, I think we could have done better than sticking by Fabini. ...And it's not like Fabini was a long-term veteran with the Skins.

The only thing he's got going for him, is that he had a full training camp to try to learn the Redskins offensive line schemes. Still, so did a lot of other guys that we cut.

Exactly. So we wouldn't be compromising any youth movement by replacing Fabini with Piller. I don't know about you guys but Fabini didn't have the look of a veteran against those second team guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived