Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the 'Skins Still Sleepers?

brooksflow

Are the 'Skins Still Sleepers?

Let me apologize in advance for this thread. The games just can't get here soon enough. Still, that leaves just a few more days for predictions and positive spin. So...

Several days ago I referenced an article by Ted Sevranski of Covers who listed the Redskins as a team to watch:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208952

Then today I see Jino's thread about PFCritics regarding the 'Skins as a potential surprise team:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209459

And now, during the rest of my morning surf I discovered this Redskins tidbit from Slate.com written by a fella from Football Outsiders (Pro Football Prospectus 2007):

The third-down-rebound theory helps to explain a lot of the surprise Super Bowl contenders of the past decade, including the 1999 Rams, the 2001 and 2003 Patriots, and the 2005 Seahawks. Who could be a big rebounder this year? Watch out for the Washington Redskins. Last year, Washington had the worst third-down pass defense of any team since we started tracking play-by-play data in 1996. As you might remember from yesterday's piece, the Redskins had more than their fair share of injuries last year. If Washington gets a little healthier this year, they should improve considerably on third down and make a strong push for the postseason.

http://www.slate.com/id/2173233/entry/2173269/

If you have time read the entire article, including the first posting. It's football insight in general is rather interesting.

Are the 'Skins still sleepers? Obviously every year different prognosticators have entirely different predictions and that there's "evidence" to support why a team will be good or bad, but I'm getting hyped and wanted to share.

anytime you start a thread and the second sentence is an apology for the thread, its probably a sign you should not click that enticing "submit new thread" button.

Irregardless,

This is something that I had noticed too the last couple of days.

I was actually thinking that maybe some of these writers actually got to see some actual tape from the preseason. My theory anyways.

These "watch the 'Skins" articles almost seem a backlash from a steady diet of articles dismissing their 2007 chances for success. So many "experts" are picking them for the NFC East cellar. But maybe some experts watched them in the preseason, like we did, and saw a brief, tantalizing glimse of a defense that could be overpowering this year. I saw people flying to the ball in the first quarter of games this preseason and thought, "Holy cow, we may have something special here." Others may have had the same thought.

I got past the first two lines and actually really liked the thread. I like Aaron Schatz's articles most of the time. I am not a maths bod myself but the breakdown is interesting and can be very insightful. I think the guy was apologising because he didnt want us to think that this was another post of meaningless drivel in the ebb of ES.

Congratulations bro, its not one of those!

3 no-name sources in the media touting the skins as sleepers does not mean a thing. the vast majority of the media thinks we will suck or be mediocre at best - with good reason. Unless we demolish our opponents in the first few games, we'll stay sleepers for a while.... assuming we win.

Media speculation in general is garbage... whether it be positive or negitive, small fish or big fish. I was talking to my co-workers about this "sleeper" lime-light we've been getting lately, and they laughed. "Yeah, whatever mr. 5-11 / 31st ranked D skins fan" was the basic response I got.

I am not a blind optimist of a fan, and I take one in the chin when the man-law warrants it. But I also am not one to back down easily. Which means saying things like "AA will be great for this D. Sure we payed him alot but he's a beast!", when your gut says "oh god... not again".

This time after mentioning the "sleeper" articles, and receiving laughs and jeers in return... I couldn't help but to repress this grin. I had to downplay my optimism in fear of jynxing our season like last year, where we were picked to be in the race as division leaders, to go to the playoffs, and then be true contenders for the superbowl. At the start of this year, fans look at their team's schedule, and mark off the game vs our 'skins as a W.

We are going to be playing as underdogs again, and I like it. The opportunity for gloating will be that much sweeter.

Are the Skins still sleepers? Yes.

Anytime you have so many "experts" saying that they will strugle to win to more than 6-7 games you have to consider that team to be a sleeper, just like you would have to consider the Redskins of the 2006 season to be overrated.

anytime you start a thread and the second sentence is an apology for the thread, its probably a sign you should not click that enticing "submit new thread" button.

You're probably right, but I don't start many new threads and rarely have useful info to add because most of the time a fellow ES'er has already stated something along my lines of thinking. I guess after seeing so many crappy threads (and the backlash) I thought a pre-apology may be necessary just in case the topic turned out to be as such. Besides, the pre-season analysis is getting old. Bring on the games!

I got past the first two lines and actually really liked the thread. I like Aaron Schatz's articles most of the time. I am not a maths bod myself but the breakdown is interesting and can be very insightful. I think the guy was apologising because he didnt want us to think that this was another post of meaningless drivel in the ebb of ES.

Congratulations bro, its not one of those!

Thanks, man. I thought the formulaic approach by Schatzs was interesting, too, and I'm not mathematically inclined either. Glad you could get past thefirst lines and understand where I was coming from.

After last year, I'm scared to get excited... (and all the preseason smack I talked... :mad: )

BUT I'M EXCITED!!!! :D

I'm not talking smack this year... though other team fan's have been talking it to me.

Like mentioned above "Yeah, how's your 5-11 crappy defense going do anything this year?"

I just sit back and grin!!!

SUNDAY CANNOT COME QUICK ENOUGH!!

CHEERS TO A GREAT SEASON GUYS!! :cheers:

PS - I'm surrounded by Eagles, Dallas, And Steelers fans at work... not a Skins fan in sight....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for some we have nothing but losses to expect. For example I was changing stations on my way to lunch and heard Jaws on the Cowturd show saying that there were only "3" teams in the NFC East. :doh: I like the fact that the team gets no respect. That will change when and only when we start winning. :2cents:

I think we have a shot to be a very good team this year. Like everyone else we need some things to go our way.

With JC at QB and the D, even though they look great in pre-season, coming off a horrible year we are still a sleeper.

I like the odds though. I think I got 60 to 1 when I was in Vegas.

I think we are sleepers, and I like that. The media can spout off all they want, good and bad. However, at the end of the day, it is what happens on the field that matters. I hope we shock the hell out of people this year. We'll just have to wait and see.

BTW, good thread and great article links. :cheers:

After last year, I'm scared to get excited... (and all the preseason smack I talked... :mad: )

BUT I'M EXCITED!!!! :D

I'm not talking smack this year... though other team fan's have been talking it to me.

Like mentioned above "Yeah, how's your 5-11 crappy defense going do anything this year?"

I just sit back and grin!!!

SUNDAY CANNOT COME QUICK ENOUGH!!

CHEERS TO A GREAT SEASON GUYS!! :cheers:

PS - I'm surrounded by Eagles, Dallas, And Steelers fans at work... not a Skins fan in sight....

Heck, the steeler fans should already have a clue.

Considering that no one (except us skins fans) are giving us a chance, I'd say yes...

'no one (except us skins fans) are giving us a chance'

I don't think that's true. On the down low, all the coaches and players on our schedule know what the Redskins are this year. They see offensive and defensive weapons up and down the roster. They see a group of assistant coaches that all should be head coaches. They see a Hall of Fame head coach. They see, still, the largest stadium and one of the most rabid home crowds in the league.

League sources see a more mature offensive scheme, a starting quarterback with a big arm, a deeper and faster defense, dangerous special teams, and a solid kicking game.

Unfortunately, we won't sneak up on the people that actually play and coach the game.

Archived