Extremeskins

Official Release: Redskins Sign Cooley to Extension

JimmiJo

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

September 1, 2007

WASHINGTON REDSKINS SIGN TE CHRIS COOLEY

TO CONTRACT EXTENSION

Ashburn, VA – The Washington Redskins announce today that they have signed tight end Chris Cooley to a contract extension.

Terms of the deal will not be announced.

“We’re excited to get this deal done with Chris,” said Head Coach Joe Gibbs. “He has been a great Redskin since we’ve drafted him and it’s important for us to keep our players together. Getting him extended has been a priority for us and we’re happy to have it done before the regular season opens.”

Cooley, 6-3, 249 is in his fourth season since being selected by the Redskins in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Utah State. Cooley has been consistently productive for the Redskins playing in all 50 games with 43 starts in his career, including two playoff contests. In his three seasons, he has caught 165 passes for 1,822 yards and 19 touchdowns. He has never had less than six touchdowns in a season.

"I felt like this was such a great fit to be a part of the Redskins," said Cooley. "My only concern was I wanted to be here forever. I could play my whole career with the Redskins, that's an unbelievable thing, and it's an awesome feeling."

Last season Cooley’s 57 receptions and 734 yards led the team and he was named an alternate for the Pro Bowl. His six touchdown receptions tied him for the team lead. The highlight for the season came late in the game against Carolina when he caught a pass from quarterback Jason Campbell and raced 66 yards for the winning touchdown. His 71 catches in 2005 set the team record for receptions by a tight end, besting Jerry Smith’s previous mark of 67 which was set in 1967.

Cooley was a finalist for the Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end, during his senior season at Utah State. He led the nation’s tight ends in receptions and yards when he pulled in 62 passes for 732 yards and six touchdowns. He was Utah State’s first non-receiver to lead the team in catches since 1983.

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

September 1, 2007

WASHINGTON REDSKINS SIGN TE CHRIS COOLEY

TO CONTRACT EXTENSION

Ashburn, VA – The Washington Redskins announce today that they have signed tight end Chris Cooley to a contract extension.

Terms of the deal will not be announced.

“We’re excited to get this deal done with Chris,” said Head Coach Joe Gibbs. “He has been a great Redskin since we’ve drafted him and it’s important for us to keep our players together. Getting him extended has been a priority for us and we’re happy to have it done before the regular season opens.”

Cooley, 6-3, 249 is in his fourth season since being selected by the Redskins in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Utah State. Cooley has been consistently productive for the Redskins playing in all 50 games with 43 starts in his career, including two playoff contests. In his three seasons, he has caught 165 passes for 1,822 yards and 19 touchdowns. He has never had less than six touchdowns in a season.

"I felt like this was such a great fit to be a part of the Redskins," said Cooley. "My only concern was I wanted to be here forever. I could play my whole career with the Redskins, that's an unbelievable thing, and it's an awesome feeling."

Last season Cooley’s 57 receptions and 734 yards led the team and he was named an alternate for the Pro Bowl. His six touchdown receptions tied him for the team lead. The highlight for the season came late in the game against Carolina when he caught a pass from quarterback Jason Campbell and raced 66 yards for the winning touchdown. His 71 catches in 2005 set the team record for receptions by a tight end, besting Jerry Smith’s previous mark of 67 which was set in 1967.

Cooley was a finalist for the Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end, during his senior season at Utah State. He led the nation’s tight ends in receptions and yards when he pulled in 62 passes for 732 yards and six touchdowns. He was Utah State’s first non-receiver to lead the team in catches since 1983.

Now that's a good way to start things off this season. With that out of the way, absolutely no distractions around. Look forward to seeing Chris play this season. Contract or not, I think he as a good year. With this out of the way, could be even better.

This is for people who might be at work and banned from sport news

Posted: 1 hours 4 minutes ago

Redskins give tight end Cooley six-year contract extension

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Funny that a player nicknamed "Captain Chaos" would be seeking stability. Tight end Chris Cooley got just that Saturday, signing a six-year, $30 million contract extension with the Washington Redskins.

The contract includes $14 million in guaranteed money for the player whose colorful outfits and antics are matched only by his reliability and strength as one of the Redskins' best offensive weapons. Cooley caught 57 passes for 734 yards and six touchdowns last season and led all NFL tight ends in yards after the catch (7.35) and yards after contact (4.1).

"It feels so good," Cooley said. "My biggest worry was that I just wanted to be here. I can play my whole career with the Redskins; that's an unbelievable thing."

A third-round draft pick from Utah State in 2004, Cooley has 165 catches for 1,822 yards over three seasons and has yet to miss a game. His rookie contract was due to expire at the end of this season. He and the Redskins have been talking about an extension for months without much progress - until Cooley pressed for a resolution over the last four days.

"I'm very happy that it's not a worry once the season starts," Cooley said. "Even last season, I thought about it a lot. You're thinking about your whole future and your life. Now I can focus on playing football, making the Pro Bowl."

Cooley's production dropped last season as he and the rest of the offense adjusted to the schemes of new assistant coach Al Saunders, but Cooley is now poised to put up the numbers of his career. He looked more comfortable in training camp and has developed into the second option in the passing game behind wideout Santana Moss.

Saunders, a former offensive coordinator with Kansas City, said he plans to use Cooley the same way he used Tony Gonzalez with the Chiefs.

"It's great to get this done and get this out of the way," coach Joe Gibbs said. "He's earned it. He's always been one of our hardest workers."

Cooley took the backdoor route to get his contract talks resolved. He said he started discussing the matter with assistant coaches earlier this week, and they sent the word along the pipeline, through the Redskins hierarchy and all the way up to owner Dan Snyder.

"I really tried to push it from my end to have it over with," Cooley said. "The Redskins made it easy. I think it was understood that I had outplayed my rookie contract."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Link of the article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801ff88c&template=without-video&confirm=true

Archived