Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is why soccer players are viewed as...

Spaceman Spiff

You're way off. Those of us that hate soccer, ***** about it so much for a good reason. We're tired of ESPN and the rest of the media trying to shove it down our throat and convince us it's wonderful. There's a reason it's never been and never will be popular here.....it has nothing on the sports 99.9% of the country watches. It's boring, it can end in a 0-0 ties, and it takes too damn long.

Outside of goalies, how the hell can you even tell when someone is good? Seriously?

They say it's the fastest growing sport. That's a stupid statement, because it is the most recent, and the only growing, therefor it has nothing to be compared to.

It's popularity is way low because the U.S. as a whole hates it, just like hockey. When a sport desperately tries for decades to catch on, and the only result is that there is still no interest, and nearly every league ever formed folds, it's because it isn't liked overall.

Soccer fans try too hard to force it's worldwide popularity on everyone, and convince us all that it's wonderful.

Bottom line is, you either hate it or love it. No player, team, advertisement, etc. will ever change that. Just because David Beckham is here, so ****ing what, it won't make a non-fan watch, nothing will.

I think it sucks, you love it. Unfortunately for you, I have over 90% of the general population of the country agreeing with me.

You ***** that we say it sucks, but you spend more time hyping it up and ****ing about us hating it than we do ****ing about how lame it is.

Soccer is for ****es who can't play real sports. It's a yuppie sport. A sport where serious injury rates are low, and no yuppie kid can be made to feel like he sucks, because nobody can tell if he's good anyway. Yuppies latched on to it for this exact reason, they want their little ***** boys named Brock and Winthrope to feel like they're good at something. :2cents:

I love it when people prove my point exactly. Thank you.

Look how angry you are over nothing. Cursing, screaming and writing several paragraphs about soccer. Just as I said before, people who hate soccer seem to be more obsessed about it more than fans. No one in this thread is even trying to push it down your throat, getting angry or forcing you to watch anything. But your reaction is priceless.

I don’t care who likes soccer or who hates it. Seriously, it does not matter at all in my life.

But people who hate soccer seem to react so violently to just the word SOCCER like David Beckhman (sp?) f*cked your GF. Your post is a perfect example. It does not surprise me that people don’t like the sport, that makes a lot of sense. It is how angry people are about just the IDEA of the sport. Like I said before, I don’t like Tennis. But when Pete Sampras was on TV back in the day when he was amazing I did not run around going “HOLLY SH*T, F*CK, TENNIS IS ON TV, NO, GOD, PLEASE, NO, I HATE TENNIS.” I changed the channel for an hour and did not really say anything. See the difference in reactions?

I am also confused about how soccer is “shoved down your throat.” It is on TV one night a week on national television when nothing else is on. One channel, one night a week, when nothing else is on. It is 2 hours long, shorter than almost every other sport. So basically you have to live with it for 2 hours a week.

Sports Center shows 1 clip of David Beckham a week (roughly 1 min). NO other clips of MLS are shown. Amazing how you can live with it 2 hours (game length) and 1 min (all highlights) of hell a week. Pool, HS Football and The Little League World Series are all shoved down your throat more by ESPN.

I seriously doubt he will ever or has ever played a full 90 minutes for an MLS club.

Well he has.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/recap?gid=2007082307

Beckham played the entire 90 minutes for the third time in six days, and was limping slightly near the end of the game in which he served as captain for the third consecutive match.

"He looked hobbled," Galaxy coach Frank Yallop said. "I used him tonight and I shouldn't have done that."

What a *****, :rolleyes:

here's the deal about soccer, its not the game that i don't like, its the players. when diving to draw penalties becomes a part of the game, its just not worth watching anymore in my opinion. i'd rather watch a game with people who will keep playing after dislocating a bone. no more whining to draw a penalty then standing right back up as if nothing happened (well, i guess that part isn't so bad since usually nothing DID happen.)

Why do people who hate soccer feel it so necessary to inform everyone around them of their feelings. It is like they can't control themselves. I don't really like Tennis but I don't walk around going, "You know what sucks, Tennis. Hahahahha, did you hear me? Dude, I just said Tennis sucks, I am hilarious." I just don't really think about it or care about it that much.

It seems the people who don't like soccer are more obsessed with it in America than the people who actually like it.

Cause they're ****ing stupid. That's why. Soccer is the most physically demanding sport there is. I played both HS football and soccer, and soccer drains you completely of your energy, you get no break during a game other than halftime. The contact level in soccer is a lot more than people realize. I can't tell you how many times i've taken an elbow or an arm to the face.

And to the original poster, you're a :jerk: , clearly, you're talking about something that you have no idea about and don't understand the circumstance. I will be kind enough to enlighten you. He played 3 games, 90 minutes straight of intense physical activity, on top of having to fly to england, play a game, and immediately come back. The guy is running completely on empty, that's why he's sitting out, because when you play with nothing in the tank you get injured.

Soccer has far more contact than basketball, and obviously baseball and the only reason football has more is because you can hit the ballcarrier.

Cause they're ****ing stupid. That's why. Soccer is the most physically demanding sport there is. I played both HS football and soccer, and soccer drains you completely of your energy, you get no break during a game other than halftime. The contact level in soccer is a lot more than people realize. I can't tell you how many times i've taken an elbow or an arm to the face......

Don't waste your time, Siven. I've long since come to the conclusion that you either grew up with soccer, understand what is great about the game, and enjoy it or you didn't. Those that didn't are never going to understand and accept the power, grace, tactics, and beauty of the game. Don't waste your time trying to explain it to them. It's like trying to teach a pig to fly.

You're way off. Those of us that hate soccer, ***** about it so much for a good reason. We're tired of ESPN and the rest of the media trying to shove it down our throat and convince us it's wonderful. There's a reason it's never been and never will be popular here.....it has nothing on the sports 99.9% of the country watches. It's boring, it can end in a 0-0 ties, and it takes too damn long.

Outside of goalies, how the hell can you even tell when someone is good? Seriously?

They say it's the fastest growing sport. That's a stupid statement, because it is the most recent, and the only growing, therefor it has nothing to be compared to.

It's popularity is way low because the U.S. as a whole hates it, just like hockey. When a sport desperately tries for decades to catch on, and the only result is that there is still no interest, and nearly every league ever formed folds, it's because it isn't liked overall.

Soccer fans try too hard to force it's worldwide popularity on everyone, and convince us all that it's wonderful.

Bottom line is, you either hate it or love it. No player, team, advertisement, etc. will ever change that. Just because David Beckham is here, so ****ing what, it won't make a non-fan watch, nothing will.

I think it sucks, you love it. Unfortunately for you, I have over 90% of the general population of the country agreeing with me.

You ***** that we say it sucks, but you spend more time hyping it up and ****ing about us hating it than we do ****ing about how lame it is.

Soccer is for ****es who can't play real sports. It's a yuppie sport. A sport where serious injury rates are low, and no yuppie kid can be made to feel like he sucks, because nobody can tell if he's good anyway. Yuppies latched on to it for this exact reason, they want their little ***** boys named Brock and Winthrope to feel like they're good at something. :2cents:

Obviously, you've never played it. How do you tell if a player is good? just like you tell if a player is good in basketball. What shots does he tech, how technical is he? what vision does he have (finding the open person). Obviously, if you think it's a yuppie sport, most of the players in the world, are poor people, So you're wrong, secondly, obviously, you've never played it, at least not at a competitive level, and you're too ignorant to admit you don't know anything about it. Injury rates make a sport appealing to you? What are you? a ****ing sicko?

=

I can't explain to you how much a studs up tackle right on your ankles when you're going full speed hurts. Studs are extremely sharp 1 inch long pieces of metal sliceing into you.

I have dents in my left and right shins conviently the shape of blades or studs on a soccer cleat.

If you don't think soccer hurts, why don't you pm me and i'll slide tackle with my studs and see if you think soccer has a low injury rate and is for ****es.

Good...trash the sport..thats intelligent. You dont like it..thats fine. I love it, my whole family played at some level and both of my kids are currently playing in college. I've been involved in soccer my whole life....please.. show a little respect and open mindedness... in other words..." know what your talking about before you open your mouth"

you watch the nfl and or nba?

don't watch basketball, has the similar problem. also i prefer actual team sports. the nba has been about single players for a while now which really just bores me. football i'd say does not have this problem. it may happen on rare occasion, but the game isn't based around it where you can count 10-20 dives per game.

i would really love it if they would start bringing down the hammer on these divers. don't they actually have a rule against diving that they never enforce?

Obviously, you've never played it.

Actually, I have. I think we all remember being forced for 1 week every year in gym class to play :laugh:

How do you tell if a player is good? just like you tell if a player is good in basketball. What shots does he tech, how technical is he?
Have you ever watched basketball? Seriously dude, when have you ever seen a guy miss every shot, but be praised about how graceful and technical he was? They don't keep stats for that. Soccer, on the other hand, has people brag that a guy took a certain amount of shots on goal. So what, that means nothing, anyone can kick the ball toward the goalie, maybe brag about actually scoring. You never hear baseball fans saying "oh, that guy had a .000 career batting average, but he was awesome, because he swung at everything". Are you starting to see how ridiculous it is yet? Maybe?

According to your logic and comparison to basketball, Allen Iverson is the greatest player in history, because he took the most shots :doh:

what vision does he have (finding the open person).

Wait a minute, do they actually keep track of passes? If they do, then it's far more lame than I originally thought, thanks for that. :silly:

Obviously, if you think it's a yuppie sport, most of the players in the world, are poor people, So you're wrong
You didn't read my whole post did you? I didn't say it was a yuppie sport worldwide, I said in the U.S. it's a yuppie sport. Can you tell me with a straight face that poor kids in the U.S., other than foreigners, actually play? Try again.
Injury rates make a sport appealing to you? What are you? a ****ing sicko?
Hell yeah, bring on the fractures :doh: Were you born stupid, or did you have to work at it? When did I ever say I didn't like it because of the lack of injury? I never said it, and you can't read for **** man. I said it appeals to YUPPIES because of the low injury rate, because they're all whimps and don't want Trip and Tucker getting a boo boo.
Studs are extremely sharp 1 inch long pieces of metal sliceing into you.
OK, getting nailed with a 100mph fastball in the nuts hurts too, what's your point? I never said it had zero injuries and wasn't at all physical. Do yourself a favor, before making an even bigger Democrat of yourself, go back and read my post.
I have dents in my left and right shins conviently the shape of blades or studs on a soccer cleat.
Wow, you can brag about injuries, I guess you're a tough guy huh? All of us that have played any sport have been hurt, it happens. This proves nothing.
If you don't think soccer hurts, why don't you pm me and i'll slide tackle with my studs and see if you think soccer has a low injury rate and is for ****es.
Ok. And when you're done I can chop block your knees, or throw a slider into your nuts, then we can argue over the toughness of sports. :thumbsup:

I love it when people prove my point exactly. Thank you.
Do you realize you just proved mine also by responding? ;)
Look how angry you are over nothing. Cursing, screaming and writing several paragraphs about soccer.
:wtf: Maybe I missed something, but when did I scream? I was actually not even upset when I wrote it. Maybe playing soccer clouds interpretation :whoknows:
I don’t care who likes soccer or who hates it. Seriously, it does not matter at all in my life.
So why still argue?
But people who hate soccer seem to react so violently to just the word SOCCER like David Beckhman (sp?) f*cked your GF. Your post is a perfect example. It does not surprise me that people don’t like the sport, that makes a lot of sense. It is how angry people are about just the IDEA of the sport. Like I said before, I don’t like Tennis. But when Pete Sampras was on TV back in the day when he was amazing I did not run around going “HOLLY SH*T, F*CK, TENNIS IS ON TV, NO, GOD, PLEASE, NO, I HATE TENNIS.” I changed the channel for an hour and did not really say anything. See the difference in reactions?
Sorry, I didn't read what you wrote, I was just thinking about how gay and stupid Soccer is.
I am also confused about how soccer is “shoved down your throat.”
Were you even here when Beckham came to the country? Honestly?
It is on TV one night a week on national television when nothing else is on. One channel, one night a week, when nothing else is on.
Because we all think it sucks, and it wouldn't get ratings otherwise. Advertisers are smart enough to realize when not to waste money on a product that doesn't seel.
It is 2 hours long, shorter than almost every other sport. So basically you have to live with it for 2 hours a week.
2 hours too many in my book. And I have DirecTv, so it's on a lot more often. It wastes too many channels IMO.
Sports Center shows 1 clip of David Beckham a week (roughly 1 min).
This happens for 2 reasons.....

1. NOBODY CARES

2. David Beckham is a whiner that can't play 2 games in a week because he's tired. He has Barry Bondsitis. Everyone else is doing it, why is he so special?

Don't waste your time, Siven. I've long since come to the conclusion that you either grew up with soccer, understand what is great about the game, and enjoy it or you didn't. Those that didn't are never going to understand and accept the power, grace, tactics, and beauty of the game. Don't waste your time trying to explain it to them. It's like trying to teach a pig to fly.

Woah, Mass likes soccer.

when diving to draw penalties becomes a part of the game, its just not worth watching anymore in my opinion. QUOTE]

^^^This is what an uninformed mind would say. If you notice, most of the dives in Torresa's video were ancient, you don't see it as much anymore. Also, there was a referee giving a player who took a dive a yellow card, that's because FIFA (the international governing body) instituted rules that call for a yellow card (warning) if someone takes a blatant dive. I love giving cards for this when I referee games cause it annoys me to see, but that won't stop me from loving this sport.

Spiff, you are gonna hate wearing that sig and you know it! And btw, you are right, soccer is not going to be as popular as the three sports you mentioned any time soon. But it is more popular in the US today than it was just 6 months ago because of David Beckham. :silly:

:doh:

You're not doing a lot to shed that image of American arrogance, are you?

The fact that the whole world loves soccer and the US doesn't says more about the US than it does about the sport.

Yuppie sport? You're so wide of the mark it isn't even funny.

I suggest you open your mind and try to understand something before you form an irrational hatred towards it. You strike me as someone who is incredibly misinformed about the rest of the world and is only interested in what Uncle Sam would be proud of. That's pretty sad, man.

Woah, Mass likes soccer.

Yes, I do. It's one of the sports I played (poorly I'll admit) as a child. Both of my younger brothers and two of my cousins played it through the college level. My brother Steven was part of the Drew University team that went to the NCAA Division II tournament in the late 1990's.

It's always been a sport that I've found quite interesting. The level of physical strength, skill, stamina, and tactical knowledge that is required to play the game at a high level has always impressed me; along with the amount of teamwork & communication that is required between the players on the field.

I'll admit to being annoyed at the amount of diving, questionable "injuries", and the lack of penalty for such in many cases, but that's part of what soccer is. It's only a "terrible call" when it goes the other way. Soccer fans know and understand that. We also know that the issue is generally self-regulating and that too many dives may lead to a REASON for you to be laying on the ground, writhing in pain.

also i prefer actual team sports. the nba has been about single players for a while now which really just bores me.

did u watch the finals, or any non laker west coast team? If you saw the Suns play youd probably change your mind about the nba. also college basketball is way more about the team so youd like that.

:doh:

You're not doing a lot to shed that image of American arrogance, are you?

The fact that the whole world loves soccer and the US doesn't says more about the US than it does about the sport.

Yuppie sport? You're so wide of the mark it isn't even funny.

I suggest you open your mind and try to understand something before you form an irrational hatred towards it. You strike me as someone who is incredibly misinformed about the rest of the world and is only interested in what Uncle Sam would be proud of. That's pretty sad, man.

I'm not defending what he said but you guys also stereotype like theres no tomorrow.

when diving to draw penalties becomes a part of the game, its just not worth watching anymore in my opinion.

^^^This is what an uninformed mind would say. If you notice, most of the dives in Torresa's video were ancient, you don't see it as much anymore. Also, there was a referee giving a player who took a dive a yellow card, that's because FIFA (the international governing body) instituted rules that call for a yellow card (warning) if someone takes a blatant dive. I love giving cards for this when I referee games cause it annoys me to see, but that won't stop me from loving this sport.

Spiff, you are gonna hate wearing that sig and you know it! And btw, you are right, soccer is not going to be as popular as the three sports you mentioned any time soon. But it is more popular in the US today than it was just 6 months ago because of David Beckham. :silly:

actually, i posted that before watching the video, i was commenting on what i had seen in the past couple years when soccer was on tv.

did u watch the finals, or any non laker west coast team? If you saw the Suns play youd probably change your mind about the nba. also college basketball is way more about the team so youd like that.

i will watch the playoffs if i see it on TV, preferably the last few minutes of the game, that's when its most intense. and about college basketball, that is exactly right. i didn't really start watching it at all until George Mason had begun to pick up. at that point i was interested in how my future school was doing and i was pleasantly surprised to see the level of team involvement in the sport instead of just big-name ball-hogs.

Archived