Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is why soccer players are viewed as...

Spaceman Spiff

By the way, I am not sure if any of the soccer fans have quite explained this video and why some soccer players behave in this manner. That subject appears to have been avoided! The closest thing I have seen in football are kickers (ironically) faking being hit for a penalty, but nothing comes even close to some of the acting by some of these soccer athletes.

For shame!

By the way, I am not sure if any of the soccer fans have quite explained this video and why some soccer players behave in this manner. That subject appears to have been avoided! The closest thing I have seen in football are kickers (ironically) faking being hit for a penalty, but nothing comes even close to some of the acting by some of these soccer athletes.

For shame!

Soccer players who take dives and fake injuries are cheats. Refs are encouraged to warn and send them off if they do this.

Of course, people cheat in other sports too in many different ways, but there is something particularly distasteful about diving.

I don't know what the solution is. Perhaps reviewing game tape and then suspending anyone who is shown to be diving or faking it.

You're way off. Those of us that hate soccer, ***** about it so much for a good reason. We're tired of ESPN and the rest of the media trying to shove it down our throat and convince us it's wonderful. There's a reason it's never been and never will be popular here.....it has nothing on the sports 99.9% of the country watches. It's boring, it can end in a 0-0 ties, and it takes too damn long.

Outside of goalies, how the hell can you even tell when someone is good? Seriously?

They say it's the fastest growing sport. That's a stupid statement, because it is the most recent, and the only growing, therefor it has nothing to be compared to.

It's popularity is way low because the U.S. as a whole hates it, just like hockey. When a sport desperately tries for decades to catch on, and the only result is that there is still no interest, and nearly every league ever formed folds, it's because it isn't liked overall.

Soccer fans try too hard to force it's worldwide popularity on everyone, and convince us all that it's wonderful.

Bottom line is, you either hate it or love it. No player, team, advertisement, etc. will ever change that. Just because David Beckham is here, so ****ing what, it won't make a non-fan watch, nothing will.

I think it sucks, you love it. Unfortunately for you, I have over 90% of the general population of the country agreeing with me.

You ***** that we say it sucks, but you spend more time hyping it up and ****ing about us hating it than we do ****ing about how lame it is.

Soccer is for ****es who can't play real sports. It's a yuppie sport. A sport where serious injury rates are low, and no yuppie kid can be made to feel like he sucks, because nobody can tell if he's good anyway. Yuppies latched on to it for this exact reason, they want their little ***** boys named Brock and Winthrope to feel like they're good at something. :2cents:

i play soccer, and i GUARENTEE i would whip your ass in any other sport :2cents:

I will say that I have watched soccer on and of since I was a kid, and I just don't find it that interesting. Compared to football, to me, it just isn't that brilliant. As a chess player, I appreciate football's methodical and play by play manner. Now, this isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed watching some soccer at times, and I do think it is a relatively tough game. And I understand that it is a cultural phenomenon, but...er, so were the Spice Girls. Just because the rest of the world believes that soccer is incredible doesn't mean that I am going to agree - it is just my IMHO that they never had a chance to enjoy our football!

One reason why I believe Americans enjoy football more than soccer is due to their exposure to the game, and it is my earnest feeling that football is just a better game. Sure, it doesn't go back and forth in the same manner as soccer, but the strategy and execution by the players and personnel as well as the excitement inspired by the game is simply what makes the game of American football so incredible. Also, football is a martial game, much more then soccer, and I believe that just appeals to many Americans.

I am sure I sounded like a bigoted American, and in this manner, it is probably true. :-)

I think the reason that soccer is not big in America is because of people like yourself who don't understand soccer. You say that football is a game of chess, well so is soccer and its non-stop except for halftime.

I love football more than soccer but i appreciate the artistry soccer and understand that rarely is a goal made off one play. It often starts near ones own box and is built with a series of well time runs and well placed passes.

Once again soccer needs to stop being discussed on this board among people who don't know the sport at all. You obviously don't get soccer so stop talking about it. If you are a chess player than you should really like soccer because it is exactly chess where you have to be able to think 3 moves ahead in order to take down your opponent.

The problem with soccer is that goals arent worth 7 points, and shots that are within 5 ft of the goal bar are worth 3.

Well, that and the same boring players are on the field for 90 minutes of a 2hr game instead two sets of players on the field for 60 minutes of a 3hr game.

There's no instant replay in soccer and that just sucks. All these nancy pants divers that don't get called when they take a dive.

Oooohhh, I really hate those soccer players

I played soccer, at the rep level for 15 and under and frankly other than the level of conditioning necessary to play it is nowhere near as demanding as basketball or football. Baseball on the other hand is about as grueling as Nascar. all in all I think Soccer is a little less gay than High school Volleyball.

as for the guys who say there is strategy? where? its about as strategic as Hockey, dump and chase.

I think the reason that soccer is not big in America is because of people like yourself who don't understand soccer. You say that football is a game of chess, well so is soccer and its non-stop except for halftime.

I love football more than soccer but i appreciate the artistry soccer and understand that rarely is a goal made off one play. It often starts near ones own box and is built with a series of well time runs and well placed passes.

Once again soccer needs to stop being discussed on this board among people who don't know the sport at all. You obviously don't get soccer so stop talking about it. If you are a chess player than you should really like soccer because it is exactly chess where you have to be able to think 3 moves ahead in order to take down your opponent.

So what if he didn't know anything about soccer but praised it, then how would you react?

Archived