Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ahh, new reporter covering the beat.....

Art

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4055047#post4055047

I presume this is the Post's new writer. I always enjoy watching a new writer break in because when they are breaking in, stories like this are common. Easy, straight, unbiased reporting. Not trying to make news. Not trying to break something shocking. Just easy sports reporting an audience that follows the team with a rooting interest will generally like and feel closer to the team because of.

Nunyo was like that. Jason too when he started. Howard wasn't, but, that's cause he was looking for a fight :). So, how long before the, "I wanna be the next star out of the Post," disease hits this one?

Jason has done nothing wrong - -since he isn't Mr. "Everything is fine -- they are doing the right thing here" people think his is biased and has an Agenda (unlike some people who work for the organization). Most of what he says is right on and its refreshing to get that point of view from someone who is at the park everyday.

Why bash him?

Jason has done nothing wrong - -since he isn't Mr. "Everything is fine -- they are doing the right thing here" people think his is biased and has an Agenda (unlike some people who work for the organization). Most of what he says is right on and its refreshing to get that point of view from someone who is at the park everyday.

Why bash him?

jlc creates stories in his mind, and makes every effort to bash the team. read the "what was said in the pressbox" thread.

I believe Camille Powell covers the Ravens for the Post.

Could be she's in line for the Redskins gig, but I had heard the Post was bringing in somebody from the outside...

When whe appeared yesterday on Washington Post Live they did indeed say she was the Ravens beat reporter and she did spend her entire time talking about the Ravens.

At what point do we just accept the fact that we are watching a slightly less rigged version of pro wrestling and stop worrying about this stuff?

In all honesty' date=' could Vince McMahon have created a better group of villians than Dan Snyder, Michael Vick and PacMan Jones?[/quote']

why is snyder a villian? because he is trying to do everything in his power to help the team he owns to win?

Why bash him?

1) He's an entirely unexceptional writer.

2) He mixes his editorial opinions in with his role as a beat writer, largely eliminating that distinction with his blog, which winds up getting linked from the sports section from page as if it were an actual article

3) His NFL sources are more often than not obviously just down the road in Baltimore, where the organization and city have an inferiority complex and love bashing the team.

4) Jason doesn't actually know too much about the game. The Post would be well served by sending him to "football camp" with some former college or pro coaches.

Why accept mediocrity, petty snarkiness, and predetermined agendas from your beat writer?

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowl...564.asp?c =rss

We are delighted to announce that Jason Reid of the Los Angeles Times will be joining us to help cover the Washington Redskins. Jason covered just about everything for the Times over the last decade, from the Dodgers to the Clippers, making his mark as a relentless, scrappy reporter, exactly what we need on the ultra-competitive Redskins beat.

Article was posted in Breaking News, thanks to Haphaszard....

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207664

why is snyder a villian? because he is trying to do everything in his power to help the team he owns to win?

I once saw him approach a kid with a basketball. He said that if the kid could dribble 15 times in a row, he would give the kid $100. When the kid got to 14, he knocked it away and let loose with an evil laugh. *

*Did not actually happen.

Sorry not buying it. The person you are referring to has always toe'd the company line since this site was acquired and has deflected' date=' deflected and deflected some more.[/quote']

Exactly. I'm getting really sick of hearing this whole JLC hates the skins because he wrote an article that, hey, guess what turned out to be true. Now we're already looking to analize every letter in this guys column so we have somthing else to ***** about....thank god the season is only 2 weeks away.

The only thing more disappointing than JLC's bitter charade as a journalist is the woefully misguided Redskins fan who astonishingly seeks to defend this miserable hack. It just goes to prove my theory that you can take any sort of loathsome, degenerate individual and someone will always crawl out of the woodwork to defend him. (Even Vick)

All ranting aside though, he really does do a poor job as a beat writer for the Skins. The head coach of the team should not have to hold press conferences to call out fraudulent reporting. Somewhere he just crossed the line and really began to show an active bias in his reporting. Constantly citing unnamed sources to support his negative opinions, mixing conjecture with fact, harping on every perceived misstep the team makes, the list goes on and on.

It's not a question of writing something critical. The key word is "report" - not interpret, not concoct.

Redskins fans everywhere should demand a higher standard in their team's coverage. Unfortunately, it's beeen so long since we enjoyed that, many of us don't even seem to be able to recognize it anymore.

1) He's an entirely unexceptional writer.

2) He mixes his editorial opinions in with his role as a beat writer, largely eliminating that distinction with his blog, which winds up getting linked from the sports section from page as if it were an actual article

3) His NFL sources are more often than not obviously just down the road in Baltimore, where the organization and city have an inferiority complex and love bashing the team.

4) Jason doesn't actually know too much about the game. The Post would be well served by sending him to "football camp" with some former college or pro coaches.

Why accept mediocrity, petty snarkiness, and predetermined agendas from your beat writer?

You have been drinking the kool-aid to long. That team up the road you are bashing has has won 16 more games over the same period as the Redskins since our new "owner" bought the team in 1999. Now if you back out of the 1999 season since he came in after the team was already built (and before be pushed our last GM out the door) its an 18 game spread win vs win. They have been to the playoffs 4 times and won 2 divisions in the same span of time and a SuperBowl -- we have yet to get beyond the divisional round since Snyder bought the team. (Again take away 1999 since the team was already built when he got it and we have a total of 1 playoff appearance.)

Yet you bash them as "NFL sources"? Honestly -- at some point you we are going to need to demand more from this organization than the product they have been delivering.

Jason doesn't know about the game? Really? Oookay. Well then neither do I but let me tell you what I "observed" when I went to camp to watch them practice -- Heyer is not a starting LT he was getting beat nearly every snap as did wade. Our starting offensive line is now averaging over the age of 30 and we have no reserves that show promise to stepping in anytime soon.

Look at this team and tell me you honestly believe that we are on the verge of anything other than another mediocre season.

It looks like the Post is trying to corner the market on Jasons. Maybe they will hire me next. :D

No, JLC is not a hater or anything like that. When the team is doing bad, you expect negative articles. The problem I have with him is editorializing. When something goes wrong, I want to hear the whole story, not just one perspective. It is one thing that annoyed me about his season ending article and the same goes for the whole Heyer thing. I'd rather he'd be a bit more balanced in his articles, and not just the things the fit the parameters of his story.

Jason

I once saw him approach a kid with a basketball. He said that if the kid could dribble 15 times in a row' date=' he would give the kid $100. When the kid got to 14, he knocked it away and let loose with an evil laugh. *

*Did not actually happen.[/quote']

that my friend was ted dibiase and you should have beat him and Virgil up for that. :cheers:

Ok. Serious hat back on.

The issue with "editorializing" in sports articles has to do - in large part - with the rise of the Internet and the blogosphere. A "just the facts, ma'am" sports story in the next day's paper does not do much for anyone anymore. I've seen the game. I've watched the press conference live. I've watched video in slow-mo one hundred times. I've discussed the game on message boards. I've gotten the irreverant take on the game from KissingSuzyKolber and Deadspin. What else is there for a reporter to do aside from try to bring a different perspective to things?

This is not just a Washington Post thing. And it is not just a sports thing. Papers across the country are struggling with this line.

When I think about myself sometimes, I am a little alarmed at how I receive my information. I receive the Washington Post and I read it fairly thoroughly. I read US News every week. I read the NY Times online and I receive the Sunday Times at home. I watch local news and generally tune in for Countdown. So I am informed.

But I honestly think the biggest influences on how I receive and retain news are the Daily Show for politics and Deadspin for sports. This is an environment that no one could even have conceived of during the first Gibbs Era.

Archived