Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ahh, new reporter covering the beat.....

Art

Exactly. I'm getting really sick of hearing this whole JLC hates the skins because he wrote an article that, hey, guess what turned out to be true. Now we're already looking to analize every letter in this guys column so we have somthing else to ***** about....thank god the season is only 2 weeks away.

It's not usually the content that bothers so many fans, it's the tone of the articles. As a matter of fact the print articles are usually pretty concise and balanced. Most fans have a problem with his Redskins Insider blog. In this he dosen't need to appear balanced, he says exactly what he feels (not that there's anything wrong with that :D ). It's pretty obvious that he has disdain for the FO and coaching staff. The smarmy attitude gets old and turns off a lot of people. So many of us have a lot of emotional capitol tied up in this team and that attitude dosen't sit well with us.

Ok. Serious hat back on.

The issue with "editorializing" in sports articles has to do - in large part - with the rise of the Internet and the blogosphere. A "just the facts' date=' ma'am" sports story in the next day's paper does not do much for anyone anymore. I've seen the game. I've watched the press conference live. I've watched video in slow-mo one hundred times. I've discussed the game on message boards. I've gotten the irreverant take on the game from KissingSuzyKolber and Deadspin. What else is there for a reporter to do aside from try to bring a different perspective to things?

This is not just a Washington Post thing. And it is not just a sports thing. Papers across the country are struggling with this line.

When I think about myself sometimes, I am a little alarmed at how I receive my information. I receive the Washington Post and I read it fairly thoroughly. I read US News every week. I read the NY Times online and I receive the Sunday Times at home. I watch local news and generally tune in for Countdown. So I am informed.

But I honestly think the biggest influences on how I receive and retain news are the Daily Show for politics and Deadspin for sports. This is an environment that no one could even have conceived of during the first Gibbs Era.[/quote']

Great analysis of the situation. :applause:

You have been drinking the kool-aid to long. That team up the road you are bashing has has won 16 more games over the same period as the Redskins since our new "owner" bought the team in 1999. Now if you back out of the 1999 season since he came in after the team was already built (and before be pushed our last GM out the door) its an 18 game spread win vs win. They have been to the playoffs 4 times and won 2 divisions in the same span of time and a SuperBowl -- we have yet to get beyond the divisional round since Snyder bought the team. (Again take away 1999 since the team was already built when he got it and we have a total of 1 playoff appearance.)

Yet you bash them as "NFL sources"? Honestly -- at some point you we are going to need to demand more from this organization than the product they have been delivering.

Jason doesn't know about the game? Really? Oookay. Well then neither do I but let me tell you what I "observed" when I went to camp to watch them practice -- Heyer is not a starting LT he was getting beat nearly every snap as did wade. Our starting offensive line is now averaging over the age of 30 and we have no reserves that show promise to stepping in anytime soon.

Look at this team and tell me you honestly believe that we are on the verge of anything other than another mediocre season.

Why did you even bother spending time writing that post? Jocking the Ravens has nothing to do with the fact that Jason is a mediocre writer. It has nothing to do with the fact that the city has a huge inferiority complex about Washington. It has nothing to do with the fact that Jason is a Ravens fan, and has connections with the Ravens organization.

As for your last post, feel free to pay attention before you post. I've been ringing the "has anyone noticed how old our line is" bell for the last two years, so you're hardly englightening anyone or taking a contrary opinion. None of that has anything to do with the fact that our starting left tackle is injured, that the player we replaced was in fact a guard, that bringing in that guard isn't going to change the name on the back of the jersey of our opening day starter. It's also not going to change the fact that rookies, often late round rookies, do in fact start for their team.

You were completely suckered in by his antics. He created drama out of hugely routine training camp occurrences. Injuries happen. Shocker. People look to upgrade their teams throughout training camp. Shocker. The Redskins continue to have one of the best offensive lines in the league. Shocker. Pete Kendall isn't a left tackle. Shocker. Jason lazily/underhandedly created a storyline for himself to take advantage of... damned if you do, damned if you don't. You fell for it hook line and sinker. You expect far too little from our team's beat writers.

I generally refrain from sharing anything I see/hear during a coverage opportunity - my mindset is that I'm a guest there, and its these guys office where they work. They shouldn't have to worry that someone overhearing their conversations is going to post them for all to read on the internet. And so I've never posted a word of what I have heard/seen related to the media guys covering the team.

I'll stick to that general principle. But I will tell you this. If you all could hear the derogatory, scornful, disrespectful, and mocking way in which some *unnamed* beat writers refer to and speak about our beloved HOF Head Coach (when he's not in the room that is), you'd sing an entirely different tune and be much less inclined to defend some of these guys.

My beef with them isn't what they write, as much as that I think they're spoiled, that regardless of the hard work they do, they have lost perspective on how lucky they are to have the opportunity to have a 'dream job'. They take it for granted, and worse than that, have allowed themselves to become jaded and cynical. They should work most of our jobs for a week :)

First off I find it laughable that many of our so called "brillant writers" are all attacking JLC. For all of you who feel he is such a bad writer or does now know what he is doing then WHY aren't you doing it?? I love it when people (not Art since he has done it) in completely different professions and other experience try and attack credible people. If he was as bad as everyone thought then why is he still employed by the Post?

It seems what Jason is doing is taking over more of the new media coverage and being groomed to take over for Maske if he decides to move on.

Unless any of you work for the post you have no clue what is happening.

First off I find it laughable that many of our so called "brillant writers" are all attacking JLC. For all of you who feel he is such a bad writer or does now know what he is doing then WHY aren't you doing it??

I have absolutely no interest in being a sports journalist. It's not a particularly lofty or noble profession. In today's environment, it's essentially tabloid journalism. This board is filled with doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers, executives, accountants, political strategists, and a nearly endless variety of professions that are far more valuable, demanding, and interesting than that of a beat writer. Jason's job is to simply hang out at the park, scoop up whatever he hears, mix it with some crap he hears from agents, maybe a few connections in front offices of other towns, and regurgitate that information in the Post.

What you just said is the equivalent of getting a bad meal at Burger King, complaining about it, and having someone say "It's not like you could do that!".

You have been drinking the kool-aid to long. That team up the road you are bashing has has won 16 more games over the same period as the Redskins since our new "owner" bought the team in 1999.

Why in the hell would I want to read an article about my team where the writer uses anonymous sources from the team playing down the road?

It doesn't matter who is playing down the road.

Its the fact that I have to read an article about my team that has been biased by the team playing down the road.

On edit: Doesn't this mutually beneficial relationship between Jason and the team playing down the road really just make Jason an Agent of that team?

I think I'm closest to Art's take on this. Which is unusual. :)

I have no problem with JLC as a writer, I think he's good. I have no problem with him clearly disliking the team he covers and the people who run it.

I DO have a problem with his letting his evident biases not just leak through into his reporting, but often leap off the page.

Like many others in the "mainstream media"--Steven Czaban leaps to mind--I believe JLC has fallen into the mode of being more interested in being a "sports personality" than what we older farts still think of as a "reporter." I think these guys will take a story in any direction they feel will generate the most buzz, and run with it. They play to the crowd, and don't hesitate to change their tune when necessary because they know nobody's going to remember what they wrote 3 weeks ago. The sports world moves so fast nowadays no one who opines about it is accountable in any way.

What bugs me about JLC is that, unlike Czaban, he still wears a "reporter" hat, while approaching his audience more like a sportstalk radio guy. Not just on his blog, but all too often in his straight reporting as beat writer. That so many cannot or will not see it, and just attribute this to "homers" just hating on anyone who criticizes the team amazes me. I just wonder if those folks actually keep track of who the individual reporters we're talking about are, and remember some of the things they've written in the past.

Big picture, if the major daily in a major city does not or will not provide straight investigative reporting any more, what purpose are they serving? The football world is crawling with opinions offered by people trying to out-shock and out-shout one another for attention. What it is lacking is egoless, old style reporting.

Maybe they feel the market for that has dried up in today's 24/7 frenzy, but I don't think they're right. If they were, we wouldn't be having this conversation once a week.

First off I find it laughable that many of our so called "brillant writers" are all attacking JLC. For all of you who feel he is such a bad writer or does now know what he is doing then WHY aren't you doing it??

Being a sports writer is a great job. It's a ton of fun. Most people would love to do the job itself because you get to watch sports and write about it. Unfortunately journalism is one of the world's lowest paying professions. It's hard to attract and retain quality people in a field that doesn't compensate well. The draw is, therefore, limited. Even if someone was capable, they'd likely wish to do something else.

I wouldn't do it because the travel and hours suck when you're wife and family are on a different schedule. I turned down a job paying $250,000 just two months ago because I won't travel 4 or 5 days a week. So, you know I won't do it for $30,000. I currently make at least three times what the highest paid beat reporter at the Post makes -- not columnist, just reporter -- is my guess. I get an outlet of writing here and the team still allows me to travel a little and do a dream thing in my free time. I imagine most people who post here and have some ability as a writer get the outlet here for their desire to write.

In any case, the references to editorializing is precisely what's wrong with beat reporting in many markets. We just have it really bad with our guys covering our team wanting to be stars. You have to feel a bit for Jason as he has seen the beat produce some great promotions for writers who've done it while he's gotten left behind. I imagine he's wondering when he'll get his and is pressing harder than he needs to.

You have to feel a bit for Jason as he has seen the beat produce some great promotions for writers who've done it while he's gotten left behind. I imagine he's wondering when he'll get his and is pressing harder than he needs to.

So, he is antagonizing me, the orgainzation and other fans just to get a raise?

I have absolutely no interest in being a sports journalist. It's not a particularly lofty or noble profession. In today's environment, it's essentially tabloid journalism. This board is filled with doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers, executives, accountants, political strategists, and a nearly endless variety of professions that are far more valuable, demanding, and interesting than that of a beat writer. Jason's job is to simply hang out at the park, scoop up whatever he hears, mix it with some crap he hears from agents, maybe a few connections in front offices of other towns, and regurgitate that information in the Post.

What you just said is the equivalent of getting a bad meal at Burger King, complaining about it, and having someone say "It's not like you could do that!".

Todd you think you know Jason's job but maybe you don't. We don't know if the Post is directing him to do what he does. Ever since he has done blogs and more of the media presentations it seems to me ihe s not the beat person anymore but more of a talking head and they like what he has done. JLC gets a lot of time I believe on the WP show on comcast.

Tony K (when he was on)and others still have JLC on their radio show so he is a known face for the WP but maybe not as a beat writer.

Somewhere he just crossed the line and really began to show an active bias in his reporting.

Yeah, when you see hyperbole enter in, you know you're in trouble. JLC did that in a recent blog.

As for Kendall: In a nutshell, the Redskins overpaid for a 34-year old guard - same ol story there - and have again taken aim at a future year's draft, but that's a vicious cycle that might never end at this point, so let's not even get into it now.

That highlighted part bothers me. It's a bit over the line. Why should a reporter shoot out hyperbole there? Either he was right earlier -- that the guard position was in huge trouble and Campbell was in danger of going down for the year thanks to the Heyer/Wade experiments -- or maybe he's right now and the Skins can't stop mortgaging their future. You can't have it both ways -- OG sucks and the trade's positives don't outweigh the negatives.

Sure, it's the blog, but if that's the thinking that's behind the articles, I believe those of us who think they hear a bias find themselves a bit justified.

why is snyder a villian? because he is trying to do everything in his power to help the team he owns to win?

Because beers are EIGHT FREAKIN' BUCKS. Good enough? I can get a 12 pack of Schlitz for $2.50. Come on, Danny, quit taking advantage of the fans. Business I understand. This is gettin' rude.

Todd you think you know Jason's job but maybe you don't. We don't know if the Post is directing him to do what he does. Ever since he has done blogs and more of the media presentations it seems to me ihe s not the beat person anymore but more of a talking head and they like what he has done. JLC gets a lot of time I believe on the WP show on comcast.

Tony K (when he was on)and others still have JLC on their radio show so he is a known face for the WP but maybe not as a beat writer.

Booma, here's the deal. 95% of what you post is wrong. You generally know this before you even post. Stop assuming things for us. Stop asking us what we may or may not know, what we may or may not want. As long as you've been on this board, you should know by now it's a losing proposition.

At what point do we just accept the fact that we are watching a slightly less rigged version of pro wrestling and stop worrying about this stuff?

In all honesty' date=' could Vince McMahon have created a better group of villians than Dan Snyder, Michael Vick and PacMan Jones?[/quote']

Grouping Snyder with Vick and Jones is ridiculous. If you really think he belongs in the same class as them you need your head examined.

What every Skins reporter needs to know (with no disrespect to them) is that we read their articles NOT because we love them but because we love the SKINS.

It is ok to 'report' on negative things. But it is not ok to start writing negative editorial-like diatribe. Writing about your local team is not like doing investigative reporting/editorials on local crime, taxes etc.

It is not by chance that a guy like John Clayton was inducted into the hall of fame - he does not flame people and teams but focuses on straight forward 'reporting.

Camille whatever-your-last-name - if you read this post - remember - we will read your articles NOT because we love you but because we love the SKINS.

It's not usually the content that bothers so many fans, it's the tone of the articles. As a matter of fact the print articles are usually pretty concise and balanced. Most fans have a problem with his Redskins Insider blog. In this he dosen't need to appear balanced, he says exactly what he feels (not that there's anything wrong with that :D ). It's pretty obvious that he has disdain for the FO and coaching staff. The smarmy attitude gets old and turns off a lot of people. So many of us have a lot of emotional capitol tied up in this team and that attitude dosen't sit well with us.

I agree with you that his print articles are fine.

I dont understand how you can bash someone for their blog. It is his blog and he calls it a blog. A blog is for someone to write things, usually their opinion, online.

If a one cannot tell what a blog is, even it says blog all the time, then one needs to check themselves.

(not saying you)

Question:

If the redskins were to have back to back winning seasons or say a recent superbowl ring, dont you think the reporting would be more positive?

There is no reason to be positive. If the skins win a game 49-0 and Jason comes out with a negative story, then lets talk. But I have not seen that.

I have seen this team struggle for years and the reporting as gotten more and more sour. To have a postive report on the redskins is like a postive report on the current administration in the white house.

I wouldn't do it because the travel and hours suck when you're wife and family are on a different schedule. I turned down a job paying $250,000 just two months ago because I won't travel 4 or 5 days a week. So, you know I won't do it for $30,000. I currently make at least three times what the highest paid beat reporter at the Post makes -- not columnist, just reporter -- is my guess. I get an outlet of writing here and the team still allows me to travel a little and do a dream thing in my free time. I imagine most people who post here and have some ability as a writer get the outlet here for their desire to write.

I think some of the janitors at the post probably make more than $30,000 - I don't think they're that underpaid. :)

Booma, here's the deal. 95% of what you post is wrong. You generally know this before you even post. Stop assuming things for us. Stop asking us what we may or may not know, what we may or may not want. As long as you've been on this board, you should know by now it's a losing proposition.

sure todd whatever you say :doh:

i am not assuming anything I asked a valid question that you can not answer

and i know most of my posts are right :)

sure todd whatever you say :doh:

i am not assuming anything I asked a valid question that you can not answer

and i know most of my posts are right :)

No booma, no you didn't. And no booma, no you're not. We just generally play along in the Tailgate because you're kind of amusing and not a bad guy. You are however, almost always wrong.

No booma, no you didn't. And no booma, no you're not. We just generally play along in the Tailgate because you're kind of amusing and not a bad guy. You are however, almost always wrong.

Todd unless you work for the Post I did. :doh:

It is also kind of hard to be wrong when a lot of my posts are my opinion, dam I never knew I could be wrong on my own personal opinion :doh: :doh:

Dude you need to get a life.

Unlike you I don't try and pretend that I am the smartest person but stick with facts and reality.

Todd unless you work for the Post I did. :doh:

It is also kind of hard to be wrong when a lot of my posts are my opinion, dam I never knew I could be wrong on my own personal opinion :doh: :doh:

Dude you need to get a life.

Watch the game, I'm not going to take the time to embarass you when the game is about to start. Consider it a gift.

Archived