Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Child killer sentenced to death

#98QBKiller

[/url]

Child killer sentenced to death

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. They should bury this piece of **** alive.

Click link for full article:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/24/couey/index.html#cnnSTCText

(CNN) -- John Evander Couey was sentenced Friday to death for abducting, raping and killing a 9-year-old Florida girl by burying her alive in 2005.

Couey did not speak during the almost hourlong hearing and showed no emotion when the sentence was pronounced in an Inverness, Florida, courtroom.

Members of Jessica Lunsford's family embraced and cried.

"[Couey] said one time that when he gets to heaven that he was gonna tell Jessie he is sorry. I got bad news, I don't think you're gonna make it there," the girl's father, Mark Lunsford, said afterward, wiping tears from his eyes.

He also urged his daughter's killer not to appeal the sentence.

"Take your punishment. Be done with it. You want to do something for her, give your life for the life you took," Lunsford said.video.gifSee what Jessica's father had to say after the sentencing ยป

Citrus County Sheriff Jeffrey Dawsy told reporters after the hearing that he asked Couey to drop his appeals after the automatic appeals required by law. Couey did not reply, he said.

Judge Ric Howard pronounced the sentence as Couey, 48, sat in shackles and an orange jail jumpsuit.

"[Couey] caused a slow, suffering, conscious death," the judge said as he described Jessica's murder in chilling detail.

Couey told Jessica he was planning to take her home, but did not want her to be seen, Howard said, and so persuaded her to get into a trash bag. Couey then knotted another trash bag over her head, placed her in a hole and shoveled dirt on top of her.

The judge described how the girl poked two fingers through the bags to try to escape before she died.

"Simply stated, civilized society recoils in horror at the image of the abject fear and terror that Jessica experienced in her final, conscious minutes of life," Howard said. Watch Couey being sentenced to deathvideo_icon.gif

Howard brought many in the courtroom to tears Friday as he elaborated on how Jessica died -- by asphyxiation as her oxygen slowly ran out. A medical examiner testified she could have been alive as much as five minutes, or even longer, before she lost consciousness, Howard said.

The judge also noted that Couey made "crude, vulgar and repulsive" comments to police after his arrest regarding his sexual assault of the girl, and said the media was blowing the case out of proportion -- "this kind of thing happens every day."

After the hearing, Mark Lunsford, wearing a tie with his daughter's face emblazoned on it, spoke of the need for state and federal lawmakers to do more to protect children by pursuing more aggressive prosecution and stricter sentencing for sex offenders.

"The problem is still growing. Children are still being molested. Sex offenders and predators are still being released," Lunsford said. "Justice was served for this little girl, but what about the rest of them? What about the ones that survive?"

"You can't do anything to bring my daughter back, but you can do everything to save these other kids."

Jessica was discovered missing from her home, where she lived with her father and grandparents, on February 24, 2005. Couey later confessed to abducting her from her bedroom the previous night.

A judge threw out Couey's confession, however, saying it was inadmissible in court because he asked for a lawyer and was not provided one.

His trial was moved to Miami after a judge ruled it would be impossible to find an impartial jury in Citrus County.

Jessica's body was found buried at the home of Couey's half-sister, within sight of Jessica's home -- three weeks after she went missing.

She was wrapped in plastic garbage bags and her hands were bound with speaker wire. She was clutching a stuffed dolphin -- a toy won for her at a state fair by her father, which Couey allowed her to bring with her when she was abducted.

The girl apparently was kept for several days before being killed. Authorities found her blood on a mattress in the home where Couey was living, and also discovered her fingerprints.

During the search for the girl, as authorities and hundreds of volunteers combed Citrus County, north of Tampa, police twice visited that home.

Couey was convicted in March of first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual battery on a child under 12. Later that month, a jury deliberated for about an hour before recommending 10-2 that Couey, a previously convicted sex offender with a 30-year criminal history, receive the death penalty.

In a recorded jailhouse phone call this month with a woman who Florida corrections officials said is his aunt, Couey said he expected to be sentenced to death for killing Jessica in 2005.

"We all know what he's going to do," Couey said of the judge during the call, an excerpt of which CNN obtained.

He told the woman, "I kick myself in the butt a hundred times a day. Stupidity. ... Just trying to figure out, I'm just asking myself, why was you so stupid?"

"Well, none of us are perfect, and the drugs didn't help any," the woman said.

"No, that was a big problem," Couey said. "Drugs, alcohol."

The St. Petersburg Times reported that during the hourlong conversation, Couey also told the woman he wanted to be cremated after his execution.

But he said, "There's a lot of good that came out of this, too. A lot of laws changed."

Jessica's slaying sparked national outrage and led to stricter Florida laws regarding registration and supervision of released sexual predators, following a push led largely by Mark Lunsford.

CNN's Susan Candiotti contributed to this report.

I'm not opposed at all for scumbags like this. I'm not one of these people who likes to enumerate all the ways in which I'd torture a killer but this piece of garbage is so utterly reprehensible and outside the protections and considerations for not only human life but even dogs and apes and whales that I think (if that poor little girl were my loved one) I could actually stomach inflicting pain unimaginable and tortures most grotesque upon his earthly person and with his last breath curse him to unending torment in hell. If there be one.

This case repulses me and every time I see this piece of ****'s picture I just want to strangle him or burn him alive with my own hands and I don't often feel like that, even for pretty savage and evil killers.

There is a particular form of evil that feeds on innocence (probably the greatest expression of evil) and seeks to corrupt and destroy it, for it has nothing else to really achieve. I despise that kind of evil more than any other.

I'm not opposed at all for scumbags like this. I'm not one of these people who likes to enumerate all the ways in which I'd torture a killer but this piece of garbage is so utterly reprehensible and outside the protections and considerations for not only human life but even dogs and apes and whales that I think (if that poor little girl were my loved one) I could actually stomach inflicting pain unimaginable and tortures most grotesque upon his earthly person and with his last breath curse him to unending torment in hell. If there be one.

This case repulses me and every time I see this piece of ****'s picture I just want to strangle him or burn him alive with my own hands and I don't often feel like that, even for pretty savage and evil killers.

There is a particular form of evil that feeds on innocence (probably the greatest expression of evil) and seeks to corrupt and destroy it, for it has nothing else to really achieve. I despise that kind of evil more than any other.

I couldn't agree more. I cringe with anger everytime I read about this piece of **** and anyone like him.

I can honestly say that if something like this happened to a loved one of mine, by a scumbag like that, I would not feel a shred of remorse to camp out on a rooftop and pick him off with a high-powered rifle when they transported him to the courtroom. Boom! People watching him on television would see nothing but his head explode.

I get sick of hearing about how people like this have a disease or this or that. No excuses for a human being that acts like that. You lose your right to be called a human being when you commit something this foul.

Thanks for letting me rant.

I couldn't agree more. I cringe with anger everytime I read about this piece of **** and anyone like him.

I can honestly say that if something like this happened to a loved one of mine, by a scumbag like that, I would not feel a shred of remorse to camp out on a rooftop and pick him off with a high-powered rifle when they transported him to the courtroom. Boom! People watching him on television would see nothing but his head explode.

I get sick of hearing about how people like this have a disease or this or that. No excuses for a human being that acts like that. You lose your right to be called a human being when you commit something this foul.

Thanks for letting me rant.

I truly have no idea how relatives of victims like this are able to restrain themselves from obtaining their own justice. I can't fathom being able to trust our criminal justice system for such crimes.

BTW, any person who works on this evil one's appeals deserves a similar fate, I don't care what their 'beliefs' are---if you spend time, not saving a starving kid or giving a homeless person a blanket or helping a drug addict recover their dignity and their sanity or giving your time and money to any NUMBER of causes but instead choose THIS 'thing'--you ally yourself with his evil and thereby proclaim to the world that it is more important that you save the life of a child rapist/torturer/murderer than anything else.

So whoever helps him on his future appeals--you burn in hell, too.

BTW--His relatives assisted him on his attempts to cover up and flee. There is still room for more justice to be meted out, since they would assist the rapist and killer of a 9 year old girl due to 'family ties' rather than anything resembling 'honor' or 'morality.' So, my thirst for justice would not be sated while I knew that a niece or some relative bought him a bus ticket or that his family obstructed authorities initially.

I don't know, I'd rather see him with life in prison and have to be in solitary confinement in a pitch black room 23 hours a day.
I'd rather have him slowly cut to peices with a filet knife, but we all can't have our way. maybe we should just bury him alive in sand. that ought to do the trick.

Sorry, but death is far to humane. Pieces of trash like this should be tortured to within a breath of their death, nurse them back to fair condition, and do it again. If they don't croke after 4 or 5 of these sessions, stake them out in the wilderness, and let the insects and animals have their way with them.

As impossible as this sounds the victims family needs to work towards forgiving this man. Hatred is consuming even if your target is worthy of it. It's not a popular opinion but I don't think giving in to dark desires like torture helps us in any way. If you take joy in his brutal demise then you've let someone unclean in that you will likely find hard to truely repent. The end result of giving into primal urges like this is that the damage caused by this killer is increased.

If we must end his life we should do so quickly and without a lot of production. Drag him out of his cell and shoot him dead. No last meal, last words, last press interview... He doesn't deserve anything more as he's clearly taken too much.

Archived