Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos pick...better than Jones or Rolle!

morpheusmeyers

I just read this article... http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0821cards0821.html

It states that Antrelle Rolle might be headed for a backup roll with the Cardinals. Whether he is or not, it got me thinking that more and more the Carlos Rogers selection seems like a pretty smart pick.

The top 3 rated corners in the 05 draft were Pacman, Rolle, and Carlos, with Carlos generally regarded as the 3rd best. Because Smoooot had just left in FA, we needed a corner. I think everyone and his brother knew we were targeting Rogers (& Campbell too once we made the trade with Denver but that's another story).

After we took Rogers, Gibbs said something to the effect that if Pacman and Rolle were still on the board when the Skins picked that he would have still taken Rogers. Granted, it could have been idle rhetoric but it got me thinking that maybe the FO really had Rogers ranked #1.

Two years later Pacman is out of the league and Rolle could be soon demoted to backup, while Rogers is an entrenched starter. Granted, he was uneven last year but so was the rest of the defense.

I've heard a lot of the Carlos/FO bashers say we should have picked Ware or Merriman, but the fact remains that we needed corner help big time. Not to mention that Ware/Merriman were better suited for a 3-4 defense. Sure we shouldn't have let Smoot hit the door via FA but since he left I think we made the right pick.

Thoughts?

Carlos Rogers might be headed for a backup roll with the Redskins:cool: Give me Rolle over Rogers anyday.

That's only because you don't watch Rolle every game. I don't know if it's because of his injury or not but Rolle has been lit up quite a bit the last two years. I think they were talking about moving him to safety at some point. Interestingly Carlos "Manos de la Piedra" Rogers has more career interceptions than Rolle.

Carlos has been the best of the 3 so far only because pacman is out of the league. Pac would be the best so far if he'd have stayed out of trouble.

And enough with the Merriman pick. WE WERE NEVER GONNA TAKE HIM. Get it through your heads. We had no need for a LB at that time, especially a 3-4 LB. Man, this insessant whining about not picking steroid boy is getting old.

They all had their faults coming out of the draft. Pac Man had the character issues, Rolle was supposed to be a bit slow and there was even talk of him moving to Safety, I think Rogers didn't have as much exposure, but maybe some teams discounted him because of age. It wouldn't surprise me if a third of the teams had a different player at the top of their CB draft board.

Well, we can take some heart in the fact that Rolle isn't doing all that much better in AZ, but it is disappointing that Carlos Rogers has struggled as much as he has. I hope some of the things we have seen so far this preseason shows progress on his part.

And stop bringing up Merriman. Most of you have no clue if the guy would have fit on this team, since he plays 3-4 OLB right now.

Jason

Rolle had a pretty sever knee injury last year and Hood taking over the starting role might have little to do with that. That said, I think Rogers and Rolle are pretty much the same players.

Both are physical, sure tacklers but lack the elite corner speed that sets guys like Bailey, Springs, Newman, etc apart.

It's way too early to proclaim Rogers as the better prospect, but both Arizona and Washington sure as hell dodged a bullet passing on Jones. Not from a talent perspective, but primarily because Jones is simply a lost cause.

Pacman's Real Sports interview on HBO made it pretty damn clear to me that Jones has no future in the NFL.

They all had their faults coming out of the draft. Pac Man had the character issues, Rolle was supposed to be a bit slow and there was even talk of him moving to Safety, I think Rogers didn't have as much exposure, but maybe some teams discounted him because of age. It wouldn't surprise me if a third of the teams had a different player at the top of their CB draft board.

Rogers was a big riser leading up to the draft, and I remember a lot of people who wanted us to pick him, probably about as many who also wanted to pick Merriman and Williams.

Just think about that for a second, we could have picked Mike Williams. :doh:

Jason

I thought Antrel Rolle was doing well in Arizona... Who knew?

And none of this changes the fact that we should have taken Shawne Merriman.

Exactly, all of this talk is nothing when you realize we could have had one of the best young pass rushers in Merriman or Demarcus Ware. IMO still one of if not the worst moves Joe has made since his return. :2cents:

Yeah, stop bringing up guys who recorded 17 sacks a year ago, a physical beast, a local guy, someone who is on a Hall of Fame trajectory at a position of need. Silly us.

More like on the track for being banned from the NFL for steroid use. :silly:

And what position? One big question about him was, could he play as a hand down DE in the NFL? No doubt if he did here, he probably wouldn't have gotten nearly 17 sacks. I think he benefits a lot from the 3-4, just like LT did.

I don't dispute his abilities (no matter how he got them), but I question how well they fit in with this team.

Jason

Exactly, all of this talk is nothing when you realize we could have had one of the best young pass rushers in Merriman or Demarcus Ware. IMO still one of if not the worst moves Joe has made since his return. :2cents:

Yeah, passing on guys who excel in a type of defense we don't run is a mistake. :rolleyes:

Jason

And what position? One big question about him was, could he play as a hand down DE in the NFL? No doubt if he did here, he probably wouldn't have gotten nearly 17 sacks. I think he benefits a lot from the 3-4, just like LT did.

I don't dispute his abilities (no matter how he got them), but I question how well they fit in with this team.

Jason

He's 6'4, 274, and extremely strong. He would have zero problem being a 4-3 DE.

..edited... originally said 3-4, mean to say 4-3... my bad.

Rogers was a big riser leading up to the draft, and I remember a lot of people who wanted us to pick him, probably about as many who also wanted to pick Merriman and Williams.

Just think about that for a second, we could have picked Mike Williams. :doh:

Jason

I was gonna say the exact same thing--the most people were upset on this board not because we passed on Merriman but Williams (myself included), which is looking pretty smart in retrospect. I know people liked Merriman but I seem to remember a lot more outrage about Williams.

I'm still rooting for Carlos--he seems like a hard working guy with some skills, who knows, maybe he'll step up this year (Which, as the original poster pointed out, seems to be more than one could hope for out of Rolle, or, obviously, Jones). :cheers:

Jason

We really needed a corner and went into that draft with the decision that thats where we were going to get one come, bleed or blister.... But Im thinking/hoping we learned a big leason that year on drafting need over bpa since we didnt apply the same stategy this year. Im soooo glad that we drafted Landry right now over DL.

Well, I could go back and say, Why didn't we draft Joe Montana in 1979? Or why didn't we take Tom Brady in the 5th round? Geeze, we could've had Rice if we had just traded up like the Niners did. And the biggest blunder of all, not trading with Atlanta for Brett Favre. What a terrible front office we've had over the years.

Stop whining already. Merriman is a Charger. No ifs, ands or butts. Move along, nothing to see here.

Archived