Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos pick...better than Jones or Rolle!

morpheusmeyers

Carlos gets way too much abuse on this board. WAY too much.

I think he is developing into a fine player. Yes he got beat at times last season, but he was on an island alot defending #1 receivers in the league in only his 2nd year. Give the guy a break there is going to be a learning curve.

I think he has played very well in the preseason so far.

He's 6'4, 274, and extremely strong. He would have zero problem being a 4-3 DE.

When he was drafted, he was listed as 249. Also, as I said before, he didn't play DE in college.

For the 9th pick in the draft, that would have been a pretty raw pick to pick him as a DE there. It made more sense to pick him at 15 as a 3-4 OLB, since you can use his strengths.

Jason

Carlos Rogers was the #1 safe pick out the the 3 CBs not the 3rd best, he was the best corner in the nation his senior year winning the thorpe award. Rodgers is a physical corner who hasn't pick off enough passes. Last year our defense wasn't so great with pressure and he was covering all day. Its a make or break year but I believe he will step it up this year, the defensive talent around him is way better this year. That 2005 defense, his rookie year put him in position to make plays but he dropped alot of INTs.

Well, I could go back and say, Why didn't we draft Joe Montana in 1979? Or why didn't we take Tom Brady in the 5th round? Geeze, we could've had Rice if we had just traded up like the Niners did. And the biggest blunder of all, not trading with Atlanta for Brett Favre. What a terrible front office we've had over the years.

Stop whining already. Merriman is a Charger. No ifs, ands or butts. Move along, nothing to see here.

I couldn't agree more. People are acting like Merriman before the draft was thought of as a definite future All-pro and HOF'er and we made a horrible move not selecting him when he so magically dropped to us at #9(when 8 other idiot GMs didn't select him).

I thought Antrel Rolle was doing well in Arizona... Who knew?

And none of this changes the fact that we should have taken Shawne Merriman.

seriously, and he was a MD native and f-ing played at MD. you trying to tell me they didnt see or hear about him? the rumor that i had heard was LaVar TOLD them about him and they still passed over him.

but, HTTR no matter what!!

When he was drafted, he was listed as 249. Also, as I said before, he didn't play DE in college.

For the 9th pick in the draft, that would have been a pretty raw pick to pick him as a DE there. It made more sense to pick him at 15 as a 3-4 OLB, since you can use his strengths.

Jason

http://thehogs.net/Draft/combine/2005_Combine2.html

He was 272 at the combine according to thehogs.net (a redskins site... woot)

Exactly, all of this talk is nothing when you realize we could have had one of the best young pass rushers in Merriman or Demarcus Ware. IMO still one of if not the worst moves Joe has made since his return. :2cents:

What-if thinking is for bozos and screenwriters (often confused as the same). We could have had Merriman and we might have had Williams but we do have Rogers and from what I saw in the Steelers game, probably nobody on the D will benefit more from the significant increase in team speed (read: Landry).

He played with fire and made some great hits -- i.e. he was the physical corner with attitude I had come to expect.

That's who we got. As to who we might have had -- that's for Elk's Club gatherings and high school reunions. And Houston Texan fans.

I agree with Jason... both Merriman and Ware play in the 3-4 there is no way we know how either will pan out or if they would have fit here, and at the time we needed a CB and may have got the best of the draft....down the line can people stop with the enshirnment already ... LaVar led the league in 2002 for LBs sacks when Lewis got him to play with his hand down and we all know where his career went .

Carlos Rodgers was the #1 safe pick out the the 3 CBs not the 3rd best, he was the best corner in the nation his senior year winning the thorpe award. Rodgers is a physical corner who hasn't pick off enough passes. Last year our defense wasn't so great with pressure and he was covering all day. Its a make or break year but I believe he will step it up this year, the defensive talent around him is way better this year. That 2005 defense, his rookie year put him in position to make plays but he dropped alot of INTs.

I bet that Carlos drops fewer balls this year than ES-ers misspell his name RoDgers.

Roger that!

The people giving the what-if excuse are missing one ENORMOUS point.

The entire point of this thread is to say that we should have in fact chosen Carlos instead of Jones and Rolle. It's a HUGE what-if thread. You can't start a thread like that and not expect people to counter with Merriman, who in fact would have been the correct pick. Furthermore, it is completely inappropriate to chastise those who directly responded to the theme of the thread, claiming they are playing the what-if game. It's not a tangent. It's 100% relevant to the thread.

The people giving the what-if excuse are missing one ENORMOUS point.

The entire point of this thread is to say that we should have in fact chosen Carlos instead of Jones and Rolle. It's a HUGE what-if thread. You can't start a thread like that and not expect people to counter with Merriman, who in fact would have been the correct pick. Furthermore, it is completely inappropriate to chastise those who directly responded to the theme of the thread, claiming they are playing the what-if game. It's not a tangent. It's 100% relevant to the thread.

That's a big assumption that Merriman would be the right pick. As I said, the guy played LB his whole career at Maryland and was still a bit raw. There was far from any guarantee that he'd be productive at DE. If he wasn't, there would be about as many calling Merriman a bust as there is with Rogers.

Yeah, there is a chance that Merriman could have fought through all of that and become a damn good DE, but when you are picking that high, and you are talking about all of that money you are giving the guy, you don't want to risk it on a guy who is going to be a bit of a project.

Jason

That's a big assumption that Merriman would be the right pick. As I said, the guy played LB his whole career at Maryland and was still a bit raw. There was far from any guarantee that he'd be productive at DE. If he wasn't, there would be about as many calling Merriman a bust as there is with Rogers.

Yeah, there is a chance that Merriman could have fought through all of that and become a damn good DE, but when you are picking that high, and you are talking about all of that money you are giving the guy, you don't want to risk it on a guy who is going to be a bit of a project.

Jason

To me, that's not a strong argument at all. Urlacher played safety in college. Freeney is smaller than Merriman. Lemar Marshall was a college safety. People routinely project to different positions in the pros. Adam Carriker is being moved inside to DT. I spent about .5 seconds coming up with those examples.

To me, that's not a strong argument at all. Urlacher played safety in college. Freeney is smaller than Merriman. Lemar Marshall was a college safety. People routinely project to different positions in the pros. Adam Carriker is being moved inside to DT. I spent about .5 seconds coming up with those examples.

Joe Gibbs was a Tight End.

I thought Antrel Rolle was doing well in Arizona... Who knew?

And none of this changes the fact that we should have taken Shawne Merriman.

seriously, stfu with this.

We didn't need Merriman

Get it through your skull. WE DIDN'T NEED MERRIMAN

MERRIMAN LOOKS GOOD BECAUSE HE PLAYS IN A STACKED DEFENSE AND HE PLAYS 3-4 OLB. HIS BLOCKING MATCHUP IS USUALLY A TE, A FB, or a RB.

seriously, stfu with this.

We didn't need Merriman

Get it through your skull. WE DIDN'T NEED MERRIMAN

MERRIMAN LOOKS GOOD BECAUSE HE PLAYS IN A STACKED DEFENSE AND HE PLAYS 3-4 OLB. HIS BLOCKING MATCHUP IS USUALLY A TE, A FB, or a RB.

Nonsense. Of course we needed Merriman. We've needed a pass rushing DE for years. You can bleat all you want, but we needed a pass rushing DE. He has excellent size and athleticism for the position, and absolutely nothing suggests he can't handle being a 4-3 DE.

Yeah, like many of you, "Would Could Shoulda!" I'd say the majority of us wanted Mike Williams and we know the rest of that story. Merriman was intriguing, but at the time we had Lavar, Pierce, and Marcus at LB so that wasn't a priority. That was the year prior to Lavar's injur ies increasing too so LB wasn't a need. I went to Auburn and if everyone knew Ware would be stud then AU would've snagged him. Hell, he went to Auburn H.S. like Marcus and Unimenyora (Giants), and Auburn couldn't persuade him to attend there instead of Troy?

There was no doubt Carlos was the pick, IMO. And it wouldn't take a genius to dig up dirt on Rolle and Pacman during college either. Pacman has been an idiot since HS, and Rolle was involved in a couple of assault incidents and known to have attitude problems as well. Carlos was clean during college and tested very fast in speed drills and change of diection cone drills. I remember Gregg Williams commenting about his cone drill results. Rolle is just not to the degree of Pacman. He seems to have been clean thus far, but many thought he would transfer to safety eventually. Carlos will be fine. I like his physical mentality, and I think there were some overall defensive scheme problems last year, esp with the secondary. I think Carlos' physicality is a good fit for Gregg's schemes. He's looked good thus far in preseason displaying his physical ability and recovery speed. It's only year 3 and he'll improve. The problems with the Skins is we let some people go and then ended up re-drafting at those positions.

Same with Campbell. Who thought prior to the draft and the rumors we'd take a QB, and that QB being Campbell? Probably just the Auburn homers like myself and that's all.

Nonsense. Of course we needed Merriman. We've needed a pass rushing DE for years. You can bleat all you want, but we needed a pass rushing DE. He has excellent size and athleticism for the position, and absolutely nothing suggests he can't handle being a 4-3 DE.

What are you talking about. Merriman wasn't an option when we picked Los. We had Lavar at the time. Merriman is not a true DE he roided up and gained all that weight (like 60lbs) before the draft and the Postons was his agent at the time. After dealing with all that with Lavar (Postons client) its no way we were going to touch him with that agent. Los was the best option at that pick.

What are you talking about. Merriman wasn't an option when we picked Los. We had Lavar at the time. Merriman is not a true DE he roided up and gained all that weight (like 60lbs) before the draft and the Postons was his agent at the time. After dealing with all that with Lavar (Postons client) its no way we were going to touch him with that agent. Los was the best option at that pick.

Merriman was the right pick. He would have been an excellent 4-3 pass rushing defensive end. He was most certainly an option.

Urlacher played a hybrid position. Personally, I don't think the switch between LB and S is all that large, considering how many players seem to do it.

But, there is a lot of difference between being a stand up rusher, and one that regularly puts his hand on the ground, particularly since the one who puts his hand on the ground typically is going against much larger players.

I'm glad you are confident that Merriman could do that. Maybe he could, but he certainly didn't demonstrate that he could at Maryland.

Jason

Here is a local article to confirm what's being said in this thread.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/95588

Looks like Rolle lost his starting job. Kind of sad considering his lofty draft status, but the guy was hurt last year and has supposedly been getting burned in coverage.

The local radio guys actually made comment that the jury is still out on him, but that Pacman and Rogers were both better players than him thus far. Truth be told, Pacman is the best CB from that draft, but doesn't mean much if he isn't on the field.

We definitely made the right choice with Rogers.

Archived