Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos pick...better than Jones or Rolle!

morpheusmeyers

Rogers was the best corner in the NCAAs his final season at Auburn. He has the best physical skills of any of the corners drafted in round 1 in 2005.

The issue with Rogers is mental. He has to overcome a disastrous 2006 season in which nothing went right for a 23 year old player whose mentor, Shawn Springs, missed a good chunk of the season and whose replacements, Wright and Rumph, were not NFL talent.

He has to build back his confidence level.

In my mind there is nobody around who will be better taking the heat off Rogers than Fred Smoot.

Smoot and Springs give Rogers the opportunity to operate out of the limelight and gain his confidence and focus back.

If Jerry Gray and Gregg Williams are worth their salt as defensive coaches, they will work to put Rogers in position to be successful and let the 2007 season be a good springboard for #22.

Already in the preseason we are seeing good signs from Rogers in terms of his aggressiveness in coming up to support the run and wrapping up while making the tackle.

When he started to lose confidence last year he was late coming up to support and failed to make tackles in the open field.

Here is a local article to confirm what's being said in this thread.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/95588

Looks like Rolle lost his starting job. Kind of sad considering his lofty draft status, but the guy was hurt last year and has supposedly been getting burned in coverage.

The local radio guys actually made comment that the jury is still out on him, but that Pacman and Rogers were both better players than him thus far. Truth be told, Pacman is the best CB from that draft, but doesn't mean much if he isn't on the field.

We definitely made the right choice with Rogers.

Keep in mind we didn't actually make that "choice" between Pacman, Rolle, and Rogers. Perhaps we would have chosen Rogers anyway, but the decision was made for us, assuming we were going CB one way or another.

Nonsense. Of course we needed Merriman. We've needed a pass rushing DE for years. You can bleat all you want, but we needed a pass rushing DE. He has excellent size and athleticism for the position, and absolutely nothing suggests he can't handle being a 4-3 DE.

i'll believe it when i see it

you better watch what you say about my boy there. im not sayin we shoulda picked him, but dont go bashing him.

he's not your boy

We definitely made the right choice with Rogers.

Sure, of those 3.

If we were going for only a CB we could have traded down and gained a couple more picks and still gotten Fabian Washington. From what I've heard he's played good. The Raiders defense was top 2 or 3 last year too.

But really, this thread is the same thing as Ramsey fans saying that he's the best QB from the 02 draft. Being on the top of a pile of garbage doesn't mean you don't stink.

Carlos Rogers might be headed for a backup roll with the Redskins:cool: Give me Rolle over Rogers anyday.

Well, then you're a fool.

Their rookie seasons are practically worthless, as Rolle played very little, and both were getting used to the Pro-WR NFL.

Last season Rolle had a bit more tackles, but assisted on 7 tackles, where as Rogers had 12. Rogers had 17 passes defended, Rolle had 11.

Statistically, not much seperates these two at all. But right now, one is losing his job to a former nickel corner, not to mentoin having been called for pass interference twice in addition to giving up a long TD pass in the past two games. Where as the other made a spectacular tackle last week against a talented running back, in addition to running back 20 yards to break up a potentially long gain.

So in their 3rd season, one guy has made improvements already, where as the other has regressed significantly.

To me, that's not a strong argument at all. Urlacher played safety in college. Freeney is smaller than Merriman. Lemar Marshall was a college safety. People routinely project to different positions in the pros. Adam Carriker is being moved inside to DT. I spent about .5 seconds coming up with those examples.

Carriker played some DT at Nebraska.

Nonsense. Of course we needed Merriman. We've needed a pass rushing DE for years. You can bleat all you want, but we needed a pass rushing DE. He has excellent size and athleticism for the position, and absolutely nothing suggests he can't handle being a 4-3 DE.

We didn't need a LB. Why would we get a DE when our defense was so good in 04? Especially when we have a history of not drafting dline.

Merriman was the right pick. He would have been an excellent 4-3 pass rushing defensive end. He was most certainly an option.

If you're so distraught about us not picking him, go cheer for the Chargers. He wasn't the right pick, because we needed a cornerback like rosie o donnell needs food.

:applause:

You win the thread.

/drives me crazy to have to watch the guy play in the local game every week. The is so good is scary, everything Lavar should have been...

LaVar would have been that good if he played in 3-4 defensive scheme. LaVar blew up freaking lineman who had 50 lbs on him. With ease.

Lawrence Taylor racked up so many sacks, not just because he was an amazing athlete, but because he was getting blocked by RBs or maybe a TE or possibly a FB. LaVar easily could have destroyed a RB. What we should have done after drafting LaVar was switch to a 3-4. Even if it takes a few years to pull off, that would have been the right decision.

MERRIMAN LOOKS GOOD BECAUSE HE PLAYS IN A STACKED DEFENSE

They were only 12th last year, Merriman as an athlete is probably one of the best to come out of that draft, certainly in terms of performance since then. However, we cannot change the past so in terms of shutting up on the subject I agree with the people clamouring for it.

Fastforwarding back to the present now we have a weakside linebacker who people were raving about at the end of last season - 10 tackles in a single game I think. I think if we are raving about linebackers it should be him we are high on. He may yet turn out to be OUR Merriman - we just dont know.

Archived