Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top Gear Thread

AsburySkinsFan

I know what you mean, the F360 can get a bit tail happy on throttle then all the sudden grab when you lift slightly. Must be why they called it the 360. :laugh: You can't go wrong with a 911, then again any experienced 911 driver always has a big adjustment to any other car. Unlike every other road car on the planet, if you get oversteer in a 911, just mash the gas and the thing grabs like it has claws in the asphalt.

Top Gear is a great show. Glad to see there are other sportscar enthusiasts on the board here. The F360 was just one of those cars I fell in love with. Of course I'll never afford one, but it's a damn fine looking sportscar.

The in joke about the F360 was that it was called that because when you went into a corner you just had time to say the F of F**K and then you did a 360 :laugh:

I think the 911 is the perfect compromise Sports car. Its not as exotic or flashy as a Ferrari or Lambo et al but you can drive it every day, go over speed bumps without breaking into a cold sweat and even use multi story car parks.

The Aston DB9 is close but they don't have the same build quality or reliability.

Sadly I now have 3 kids and a wife so I drive a BMW X5 but I have my memories ......

I love Top Gear. But I don't get why we can't have a show like that here. I mean we have Auto Week or something on the speed channel but thats like Gilmore Girls compared to Top Gear. There could be a lot of money made.

Top Gear > Fifth Gear > .... > Auto Week

I agree Auto Week and Road & Track type car shows make supercars looks like my grandfather's Buick. I can't stand it, because all they ever do is the same boring 0-60, 6-100, slaloms, 1/4 mile etc times. I mean these supercars were engineered to perform at the highest level and all they can manage to do is the same ol' boring crap. Its like they don't even enjoy the cars that they're testing. This is in direct contrast to guys like Jeremy Clarkson who wears his love of performance cars on his sleeve and has no problems cranking up a million dollar car and spinning it out on the track. IMO no other auto show beats Top Gear they just really love cars, and they aren't afraid to show it, and what's more is they aren't afraid to have fun, and lots of it.

I love that show but I cant stand it when they rag on American cars. There was one episode where in order to prove that the worst car ever made in Britain was better than a good American car of it's time, they filled a Jaguar with water, and a Lincoln Towncar with water.

Of course the Jag had good stripping and was sealed well, while the Towncar leaked. They concluded that the Brits worst car was better than an average/good American car. It had nothing to do with reliability, service records, features, safety, etc. As far as I know cars are not made or broken on having good weather stripping...they just wanted an easy way to take a cheap shot and laugh at the funny Americans.

Then there was the other episode where the guy got a Charger or Challenger or something and they mentioned about 40 times how American cars were crappy straight line racers, which made them worse than weaker european cars that were built to handle. Then the guy concludes that he loves the power of the American car and that he may just have to join the American culture. Then he puts on a cowboy hat and goes square dancing or some crazy crap. I think a few times in that show they made references to route 66 which hasn't been in use since what? The 70's???

I still love watching the show though. The Vanquish vs. train and the multiple games of car soccer were great.

I liked the episode where Clarkson drove to Scotland and back on a single tank of diesel in the Audi A8 (I think) 800 miles round trip.

For those who get offended, that's the point of the show. It's full of one-liners, stereotypes and usually self-mocking for the sake of a laugh.

Take his review of the Corvette Z06, full of cheap gags and highs and lows on the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohtOtL88Mak

Here's an English comic's obituary of Clarkson. It sums up how many feel about him :)

• 10 months later...

I have only seen a couple episodes, but the one's I did see where entertaining. BTW did anyone see the episode where they drove from Florida to New Orleans? One of their challenges was to drive through a part of Alabama with Anti Redneck stuff painted on their cars. Stuff like Go Hillary, Nascar sucks, and Man Love rocks. It was hilarious to see how scared and nervous they got at some of the responses from other drivers on the highway, and then they stopped at a gas station..and hilarity ensued.

They did however portray America as all being rednecks and hick towns, which annoyed me, but it was still humorous

I have only seen a couple episodes, but the one's I did see where entertaining. BTW did anyone see the episode where they drove from Florida to New Orleans? One of their challenges was to drive through a part of Alabama with Anti Redneck stuff painted on there cars. Stuff like Go Hillary, Nascar sucks, and Man Love rocks. It was hilarious to see how scared and nervous they got at some of the responses from other drivers on the highway, and then they stopped at a gas station..and hilarity ensued.

They did however portray America as all being rednecks and hick towns, which annoyed me, but it was still humorous

Hahah yeah that episode was hillarious. Heres a link for those who havent seen it:

http://www.videosift.com/video/Top-Gear-crew-nearly-get-lynched-in-Alabama

Also, watch the part of the show where they had $1000 to buy a car in Miami. Hilarious, Clarkson bemoaning the fact that all it looked like they could get were 90's cars:-

"I'm looking at a 93 Buick Le Sabre. When it was new it was rubbish, it was built by idiots and its still rubbish"

Archived