Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taliban staged brazen attack on remote US base: Didn't quite work out.....

blitzpackage

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/07/taliban.afghan.ap/index.html

GHAZNI, Afghanistan (AP) -- A group of 75 Taliban militants tried to overrun a U.S.-led coalition base in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday, a rare frontal attack that left more than 20 militants dead, the coalition said in a statement.

The insurgents attacked Firebase Anaconda from three sides, using gunfire, grenades and 107 mm rockets, the coalition said. A joint Afghan-U.S. force repelled the attack with mortars, machine guns and air support.

"Almost two dozen insurgents were confirmed killed in the attack," the statement said. Two girls and two Afghan soldiers were wounded during the fight in Uruzgan province, it said.

A firebase like Anaconda is usually a remote outpost staffed by as few as several dozen soldiers.

"The inability of the insurgent forces to inflict any severe damage on Firebase Anaconda, while being simultaneously decimated in the process, should be a clear indication of the ineffectiveness of their fighters," said Army Capt. Vanessa R. Bowman, a coalition spokeswoman.

Oh please, oh please, oh please, let this mark the beginning of a change in strategy on the part of the insurgents, both in Afghanistan AND in Iraq.

There's still nobody who can even think about ****ing with us face-to-face. :D

No, you prefer the negative CNN reports of American casualties instead.

Why would you make fun of a positive report from that region?

I wasn't making fun. I am sincerely happy about this. I love to see the Taliban eat lead.

edit - We belong in Afganistan and the Taliban is our rightful enemy since 9/11. I have no problem with any of it.

Oh please, oh please, oh please, let this mark the beginning of a change in strategy on the part of the insurgents, both in Afghanistan AND in Iraq.

There's still nobody who can even think about ****ing with us face-to-face. :D

You are correct sir.

Unfortunately, we don't get to do much face to face stuff. :mad:

You are correct sir.

Unfortunately, we don't get to do much face to face stuff. :mad:

Yeah I know. I'm glad I'm not in the military anymore, but I can't help but think back on my training. I got out a little over 5 years ago, and realistically, I'd say about 85% of my training would be obsolete today.

A desperate measure by a desperate enemy looking for a victory they could trump up in world media.

Remember they said that this Spring and Summer would be the turning point in the war, that they would make the rivers run red with our blood or some stuff like that?

The great Taliban counter-attack of 2007 has resulted in them getting their asses handed to them on a plate over and over again.

I agree with Hog. I hope this is their plan for a while.

And I agree with Predicto. Go TEAM.

~Bang

Anyone else love how we responded with air support? Hilarious.

I'd love to see an A-10 Warthog just machine gunning those ****ers to death.

Go team!!

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

:point2sky :D :point2sky

Glad to see it seems we've shifted some of our attention back to these guys. It seemed that not finishing the job in Afghanistan was going to roll over into the next admin. But, perhaps this is a proper change in strategy to focus on the people who are hiding Bin Laden.

Good News.

Archived