Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Redskins-Ravens scrimmage thread

Leonard Washington

Show of hands.

How many of you think Todd Collins was brought in here because of his playing skill?

He's here because he's been in Al Saunders offense for 8 years. He knows it as well as anyone there is. THAT is why he's here.

And if he's here in September, that will be why.

Frankly, they may as well cut him and make up a coaching spot for him. Save the roster spot and cap figure.

~Bang

My hand is definitely down. :laugh:

Collins shows no signs that he has any type of athlettic abilities at all. He actually played and moved around the field like he was completely bored.

I agree Bang, we should just create some sort of coaching position for him, like an assistant quarterbacks coach or something like that.

does anybody have a roster so I can see who these players are? I know the reg

:laugh::laugh::laugh: You are on the Redskins Website and asking for a roster?

If you move your mouse arrow on "Team" at the top left of this page then select roster you will have the latest official Redskin roster;)

The Ravens were trying. It was obvoius the Redskins weren't (no blitzes).

If you can't see that, then you are just looking for crap to complain about.

are you blind? we blitzed on a number of plays. marshall blitzed, fletcher got back there once, but those are LB, they were bringing heat with their line.

and thats completely sad and embarrassing if you think we werent trying. why the hell wouldnt we try? please let me know.

Did the scrimmage answer any of these questions?

1. Will the Skins pass rush improve.

2. Will R. McIntosh step up.

3. Will a WR capable of taking heat off Santa emerge.

4. Will the Skins have a back/up at QB worthy of the name.

5. Will the OL have enough quality depth this season.

pass rush wasnt there

mcintosh looked ok, no blown plays i saw but he wasnt lighting anything up.

thrash looked very good, very fluid running, and made some nice catches from campbell.

collins is horrendous, and brunell held the ball for way too long. palmer threw the only touchdown and had waaaay more zip on his passes than the older guys. hopefuly he continues his progression.

OL looked ok, but it was all backups. mason had some nice runs where our guys opened up some solid holes. our pass blocking could have been better, the ravens got through way too many times, but its the ravens.

I was there. A few observations:

1. My God, it was hot. That was my last scrimmage. It's just too damn hot. :evil: :whew:

2. 1st time at M & T and what a beautiful stadium. Great sight lines, you feel closer to the field, and oh wow, thats what a replay screen is supposed to look like! :cool:

3. Some jackass was wearing a Roy Williams jersey. I wanted to horsecollar him. :nutkick:

4. JC looks good in his decision making. Had a beautiful deep pass for a TD to Thrash. :applause:

5. Thrash looked like Jerry Rice out there today. :applause:

6. B Lloyd still enjoys standing off to the side sometimes, by himself. :pimp:

7. Didn't spot CP, not even in street clothes. :whoknows:

8. Seeing Brunell in action brought back bad memories of '06. He looked bad. His range is now 10 yards, seriously. He almost got picked three times- twice on the same play. Bad. :(

9. Todd Collins should be a backup QB coach, not a backup QB. :coach:

10. Saw a lot of Blaylock and Mason. Our running game looked good. :applause:

11. Didn't see much of Bramlet. Palmer continues the trend of bad play, 3-4 so-so plays and one spectacularly beautiful play. :applause:

12. Shaun Suisham kicked the ball off INTO THE END ZONE. I damn near messed my pants when that happened. :notworthy

13. Byron Westbrook should be nowhere near a punt. Fumbled once and did a poor job of fielding a bouncing punt. :(

14. Memo to LaRon Landry: in a 7-on-7 drill, please do not bite on play-action. Thanks. :rotflmao:

15. Good job overall on the run defense. Montgomery was impressive. :applause:

16. The stadium announcer did a pitiful job of identifying players, and announced some "TD's" when the Ravens were doing drills from our 10 yd line- WTF? :geek:

17. Earnest Byner is in the Ravens ring of honor, but not ours. :wtf:

18. There was a LOT of burgundy and gold in the stands. :cheers:

19. No significant injuries, though Cooley appeared to have ice on his calf towards the end. :)

Show of hands.

How many of you think Todd Collins was brought in here because of his playing skill?

He's here because he's been in Al Saunders offense for 8 years. He knows it as well as anyone there is. THAT is why he's here.

And if he's here in September, that will be why.

Frankly, they may as well cut him and make up a coaching spot for him. Save the roster spot and cap figure.

~Bang

Last year, with a complex offense being installed, that made sense. This year, your presumed top 2 QB's in Campbell and Brunell know it thoroughly, making Collins unnecessary. IMHO you keep both Palmer and Bramlet, and make one of them your 3rd stringer and the other one your PS (or IR ;) )player.

Why wasnt JC allowed a possession in the 11 on 11? He had lots of reps in the 7 man drills, seems odd.

They already know that Jason's going to be on the roster, as the starter no less. The big decisions for the team at QB involve Collins, Bramlet and Palmer, so they needed to see more of them to figure out what they wanted to do.

Jason looked sharp and has been getting all the reps otherwise so it's nothing to worry about.

I was there. A few observations:

1. My God, it was hot. That was my last scrimmage. It's just too damn hot.

2. 1st time at M & T and what a beautiful stadium. Great sight lines, you feel closer to the field, and oh wow, thats what a replay screen is supposed to look like!

3. Some jackass was wearing a Roy Williams jersey. I wanted to horsecollar him.

4. JC looks good in his decision making. Had a beautiful deep pass for a TD to Thrash.

5. Thrash looked like Jerry Rice out there today.

6. B Lloyd still enjoys standing off to the side sometimes, by himself.

7. Didn't spot CP, not even in street clothes.

8. Seeing Brunell in action brought back bad memories of '06. He looked bad. His range is now 10 yards, seriously. He almost got picked three times- twice on the same play. Bad.

9. Todd Collins should be a backup QB coach, not a backup QB.

10. Saw a lot of Blaylock and Mason. Our running game looked good.

11. Didn't see much of Bramlet. Palmer continues the trend of bad play, 3-4 so-so plays and one spectacularly beautiful play.

12. Shaun Suisham kicked the ball off INTO THE END ZONE. I damn near messed my pants when that happened.

13. Byron Westbrook should be nowhere near a punt. Fumbled once and did a poor job of fielding a bouncing punt.

14. Memo to LaRon Landry: in a 7-on-7 drill, please do not bite on play-action. Thanks.

15. Good job overall on the run defense. Montgomery was impressive.

16. The stadium announcer did a pitiful job of identifying players, and announced some "TD's" when the Ravens were doing drills from our 10 yd line- WTF?

17. Earnest Byner is in the Ravens ring of honor, but not ours.

18. There was a LOT of burgundy and gold in the stands.

19. No significant injuries, though Cooley appeared to have ice on his calf towards the end.

other than that how did landry look?

tasteslikechicken, I wish I could have been there. But then again, I really love the air conditioning in my office. I'm glad to hear that the run-defense was looking solid, I hope that is the case during the regular season. I'm sure Landry will improve as time goes on, and once he gets comfortable I'm sure he'll be a beast along with ST.

are you blind? we blitzed on a number of plays. marshall blitzed, fletcher got back there once, but those are LB, they were bringing heat with their line.

and thats completely sad and embarrassing if you think we werent trying. why the hell wouldnt we try? please let me know.

They weren't blitzing a bunch. You are imagining things.

It was obvious to me that he was having the d-line sit back much of the scrimmage. Williams wanted the Ravens QB to throw the ball so he could look at his young DBs in action.

You can't watch them on islands by themselves if one of our d-lineman reaches through the line and breathes on the opposing QB, stopping the play.

It was obvious to me that they were observing different players. It wasn't obvious to you b/c you were to estatic in your misguided belief that we had no pass rush during the scrimmage.

Nothing I say is going to change you mind, however. You and the other "geniuses" will be too busy doing cartwheels around here all week believing the Redskins have no pass rush, just like you've been hoping so you could be right.

Well, have it. :)

They weren't blitzing a bunch. You are imagining things.

It was obvious to me that he was having the d-line sit back much of the scrimmage. Williams wanted the Ravens QB to throw the ball so he could look at his young DBs in action.

You can't watch them on islands by themselves if one of our d-lineman reaches through the line and breathes on the opposing QB, stopping the play.

It was obvious to me that they were observing different players. It wasn't obvious to you b/c you were to estatic in your misguided belief that we had no pass rush during the scrimmage.

Nothing I say is going to change you mind, however. You and the other "geniuses" will be too busy doing cartwheels around here all week believing the Redskins have no pass rush, just like you've been hoping so you could be right.

Well, have it. :)

we blitzed, you can continue thinking we didnt bring anyone but we did. and i think thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. i guess the ravens d coordinator thought it would be a good idea to rush our passers, but williams just wanted to see what our DBs would look like with no rush from the front 4? well he got it then, cause our dbs didnt look good.

and the CB is still on an island regardless of how much pass rushing we got. if youd like to think otherwise thats your issue, but i think its ridiculous to think williams told our dline to not attempt to go after the QB. man, how many excuses do you have for this line? when the season starts and we see the same thing, are you gonna make up some story about williams wanted them to do that as well?

and dont you think he'd be using this scrimmage to evaluate the pass rushing skills of our backup guys? or does that make too much sense? :doh:

SkinsGuy, let me have some of what your smoking.

The only thing obvious is our D-Line as currently constructed cannot generate a pass rush. Not saying our defense will be bad, but Greg will *HAVE* to rely on blitzing to get the job done.

And to imply Williams told his guys on the d-line not to bring the heat, just lock up with their guy is just plain silly.

we blitzed, you can continue thinking we didnt bring anyone but we did. and i think thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. i guess the ravens d coordinator thought it would be a good idea to rush our passers, but williams just wanted to see what our DBs would look like with no rush from the front 4? well he got it then, cause our dbs didnt look good.

and the CB is still on an island regardless of how much pass rushing we got. if youd like to think otherwise thats your issue, but i think its ridiculous to think williams told our dline to not attempt to go after the QB. man, how many excuses do you have for this line? when the season starts and we see the same thing, are you gonna make up some story about williams wanted them to do that as well?

and dont you think he'd be using this scrimmage to evaluate the pass rushing skills of our backup guys? or does that make too much sense? :doh:

The Ravens were crowding the line. It was obvious the Redskins weren't.

Apparently, the Ravens were working on different things than the Redskins were. That is what scrimmages are all about.

And yes, I saw several times guys who had lanes to the QB, but just stood their ground.

Williams is notorious for putting players out on islands with no help to see how they react, and how good they are.

That is what these practices are for. :rolleyes: To look at players who are trying to make the team.

If they were worried about winning (which is STUPID b/c they don't even keep score;only the media covering the game somewhat keeps score), they would kept Campbell in the whole time. The starting o-line would've played.

Portis and Moss would've played the whole thing too.

The coaches did the right thing however, and used this scrimmage for what it is.

It is not for winning when you can't.

But you are too happy about our supposed no pass rush' that you are beside yourself.

Like I said, have it. :)

The only thing obvious is our D-Line as currently constructed cannot generate a pass rush. Not saying our defense will be bad, but Greg will *HAVE* to rely on blitzing to get the job done.

And to imply Williams told his guys on the d-line not to bring the heat, just lock up with their guy is just plain silly.

seriously, what D coordinator who is coming off the worst season of his career in which his dline performed horrendously, tells their guys "oh, dont bring any heat, i wanna see how my DBs look when theyre hung out to dry". lord above i cannot believe skinsguy actually typed that.

i bet gibbs told collins not to complete single pass, and told brunell that our best receiving option was the guy in the McNair jersey in row 3.

The Ravens were crowding the line. It was obvious the Redskins weren't.

Apparently, the Ravens were working on different things than the Redskins were. That is what scrimmages are all about.

And yes, I saw several times guys who had lanes to the QB, but just stood their ground.

Williams is notorious for putting players out on islands with no help to see how they react, and how good they are.

That is what these practices are for. :rolleyes: To look at players who are trying to make the team.

If they were worried about winning (which is STUPID b/c they don't even keep score;only the media covering the game somewhat keeps score), they would kept Campbell in the whole time. The starting o-line would've played.

Portis and Moss would've played the whole thing too.

The coaches did the right thing however, and used this scrimmage for what it is.

It is not for winning when you can't.

But you are too happy about our supposed no pass rush' that you are beside yourself.

Like I said, have it. :)

forget winning, were not talking about the offense at all. i didnt say anything about "if we wanted to win, blah blah". im talking about our dline, which looked weak bringing a pass rush. so youre basically saying williams used every defensive set to just watch the DBs react to the passing. and he wasnt concerned at all with how our pass rush looked? well our DBs didnt look so hot, so i guess he got his answer.

let me know when we actually attempt to bring a pass rush, ill be waiting.

oh and you know me, im excited that our rush wasnt capable of stopping troy smith and kyle boller. :doh:

OMG!!! We didn't have a pass rush in a scrimmage were you can't hit the qb.

We should just forfeit all of our games now, Gibbs better retire before he gets fired.

Come on people, this is a scrimmage, only players worth evaluating are the draft picks and backups. Maybe thats why we didn't see our stars playing, just my :2cents:

OMG!!! We didn't have a pass rush in a scrimmage were you can't hit the qb.

We should just forfeit all of our games now, Gibbs better retire before he gets fired.

Come on people, this is a scrimmage, only players worth evaluating are the draft picks and backups. Maybe thats why we didn't see our stars playing, just my :2cents:

the ravens were rushing us and not hitting us, decking the QB is not the point. i would think gregg williams would have wanted to evaluate his DTs/DEs considering the lack of depth we have, and would have liked to see which guys could make good moves to get into the backfield. i guess im out in left field for thinking our d coach would want to evaluate the most important part of a defense. excuse me.

I don't know how great our pass rush from our four down linemen is going to be this year. I'm not claiming we will have the most fearome foursome in the NFL.

My point is you can't tell anything from a scrimmage.

The ones complaining the loudest are the ones that had an agenda before the scrimmage.

The ones who are unhappy we didn't make more moves on the d-line this off-season, the ones who don't like Brunell, etc.

Any of them had one off play in this scrimmage, and they were on here whining and moaning.

As I said, those that are concedeing the season, please go.

We are better off here without you (that sn't aimed at you, chipwich, just whiners in general :) ).

Archived