Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Tidbit on Landry's Contract

ThePreciating

Per a league source, Landry will get the maximum value of his five-year, $41.5 million contract only if he wins the NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award. Four times.

www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.html

Hahaha, nice.

The biggest thing standing in the way of Landry's money is starting on the opposite side of the field.

Still - Landry wouldn't have signed that deal if he didn't think he could have a decent chance to make that money.

ya I dont buy it either, the contract is incentive laden(atleast I think thats what Ive read) but that incentive seems rather unreasonable. I dont think anyone has won it two years in a row, let alone 4 times in 5 years.

It would probably be set up as a bonus of $X if he ever wins defensive player of the year. If he wins more than once, he gets the bonus more than once.

It's funny that none of the other folks thought of this. :)

The maximum value of his contract (41.5 million) requires him to win defensive player of the year four times. No one else thought of what? What are you talking about?

EDIT - The 41.5 million INCLUDES hitting all of those available bonuses.

Doesn't PFT stand for Probably Far from the Truth?

Although, in this case, it wouldn't surprise me if he has an incentive in his contract that pays out each time he wins Player of the Year, and if so, the story would be basically correct.

That seems fake to me. What agent would agree to even have that in there? Makes no sense.

Makes all the sense in the world.

Contracts are almost always padded with high back end salaries which will never be paid or incentives that both sides know are almost never going to be reached. That way the player can puff his chest out and brag on his monster deal and the agent can use the headline figure as a marketing tool when trying to get next years start rookies to sign with him - 'did you see that $41.5M deal I got for Landry? Sign with me my boy and I will show you the money .....'

The figures to look for are the guaranteed money and the per year average - that tells you what the deal ACTUALLY is.

Gotta love PFT's "sources". PFT will take the bait on any rumor, no matter how obsurd.

You're right, but almost every headline this offseason was announced by PFT before anyone else. I'll take 80% accurate news reported constantly and expediently over 100% accurate news reported sporadically and lethargically.

You're right, but almost every headline this offseason was announced by PFT before anyone else. I'll take 80% accurate news reported constantly and expediently over 100% accurate news reported sporadically and lethargically.

I actually mis-read the original post, I thought it read Defensive ROOKIE of the Year :doh: , my bad (handn't had my morning coffee yet :silly: ).

I disagree with the 80% accuracy, tho. I doubt 80% of PFT's stories are accurate for one, but being first with innacurate stories is irresponsible journalism, imo.

The maximum value of his contract (41.5 million) requires him to win defensive player of the year four times. No one else thought of what? What are you talking about?

EDIT - The 41.5 million INCLUDES hitting all of those available bonuses.

I'm talking about how everyone previously was making it sound as if it's an all or nothing deal. He makes four defensive MVPs or he gets 0 bonus. I'm sure it's not an all or nothing deal. I assume that these bonuses are actually a very small portion of the $41M.

Why is this so hard to believe, Sean Taylors contract is very incentive laden. That is why we keep getting cap credits on his contract every year. He is not hitting bonus incentives that he is likely to hit.

I don't understand what is so outlandish about the performance clause as described. Contract values are always described as best possible scenario. If there were riders applying a bonus for each time he makes DPY, they'll add up to 41M.

Am I mising something?

My question exactly.

You guys didn't really think Landry was going to be GETTING 41.5M over 5 years, did you? That's patently absurd. For reference, AJ Hawk (last year's 5th pick) got 37.5M over 6 years. And that was in a draft that had guys like Bush, Young, and Leinart going WAY over slot. Hell, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the FOURTH pick in the previous year (at a premium position, not safety) got 27.5M over 5 years, with a 6th year option to kick it up to the size of Hawk's contract. And people think that the 41.5M in Landry's contract isn't in large part incentive based?

It's pretty clear that LaRon's contract has NUMEROUS incentives in them, and that some of these incentives are both quite significant and unlikely to be attained; his contract is just so way out of line with the deals that similar players have gotten.

Moreover, I can say with a great deal of certainty that it was agent Joel Segal who led the charge of building these incentives into the contract. Think about it. On the surface, based on the news reports and the max value of the contract, he got Laron Landry the best deal EVER for a safety. A deal that smashes Ed Reed's deal (6/40M) and Troy Polamalu's deal (5/33M), contracts that were both signed within the last year. You think that doesn't look good to potential future clients? If you need more proof, check out the Levi Brown deal, one that was reported to be the best (per-year) of any OL ever. Even Lenny P admits that Brown is extremely unlikely to max out that contract. And who negotiated that deal? Joel Segal.

So yeah, I absolutely believe this report. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say this deal is likely realistically worth about 5/30M. Something between the deal Hawk/Ferguson got last year and the deal Polamalu just got.

Archived