Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What does our D-Line most need to improve?

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

obviously injuries hurt us, but the problem is the guys that got injured are injury prone to begin with, and on the wrong side of 30. we can excuse washington, he hasnt had an injury problem, but griffin and springs injury concerns are well documented. why our coaching staff thinks they can count on these guys is the real question.

Having a great pass rusher is awesome. That is why DE is regarded in the same class as QB, LT, and #1 CB in importance for an NFL team. However, having a great pass rush means less and less when opponents are consistently in 2nd and/or 3rd and short situations. If you can't stop the run effectively on 1st and 2nd down, the trickle down effect is of greater negative consequence to the defense. If we can be dominant in stopping the run, we could keep teams in the 3rd and long situations and, of course, in GW's system you can blitz with good results.

My guess is the Redskins will get better pressure in 2007. The return to health of Griffin commands a double team from the offense and if Golston is stronger at 320 and more capable at the point of attack that is going to help our outside guys.

I think Williams is going to use Washington as a rusher for the first time since 2004 with the arrival of Fletcher and the promotion of McIntosh.

In addition you are going to see more blitzes from the safeties, now that we have depth at cornerback again and can cover down the field.

Stopping the run has to the 1st priority. I've played, coached and watched football all my life. I've always felt that if you can't stop the run, you can't play defense. Having a natural pass rush is just an extra bonus. As arrogant as Greg Williams is, his defenses in the 1st 2 seasons did play the run well.

It's funny that this poll is split down the middle and our D was equaly aweful in both areas. The question should be "what should the #1 priority of any defense be". IMO, shut down the run and make them throw. If we can put up over 21 a game, teams will be forced to throw. That would force teams to play into our (hopefully) strength.

Well played, sir. Well played.

In Williams first two years here we were never a great pass rushing team, we were a tremendous run stuffing team. We always had the offenses in 3rd and long which allowed Gregg to call some execotic blitzes. Which in turn we were a top 10 defense both those years. So from watching the previous defenses here when we excelled in stuffing the run we were a great defense. Williams and I believe Blache put a tremendous emphasis on stuffing the run then rushing the passer so as long as they are here I think its going to be that way and they proved it works.

Free pressure from every-down DE's without having to commit extra players in a blitz (who can be picked up by blockers and now you have no pressure AND holes in the field) is among the most important tools for a good 4-3 defense. GW's best defense of his career was with the Titans and Jevon Kearse freaking out on OL's/QB's.

Also, this thread is not about what is most important, it's about what our DL needs to improve on the most. With the addition of Fletcher the run defense will be unquestionably better. Where we did not add anything is in the pass rush department.

• 2 weeks later...

Just gonna bump this thred for this topic.

What do ya'll think? 1st preseason game. Obviously no sacks, but a couple of pressures.

I thought the D-line, from start to finish played very very well. We got a couple of pressures, mostly on bliztes.

We tallied 16.5 tackles from our d-line. I have no idea what the average number would be. Of the 16.5 tackles, only 2 were credited as losses. 1 by Chris Wilson, on a nice play to shoot the gap, and the other was assisted by Justin Hickman.

As for getting to the QB. Kerry Collins is not the most fleet of foot. Quite frankly he stinks. Being sacked 300 times in his career during 156 games. Rattay on the other hand has been sacked 63 times in 36 games. We could not get to the QB! Although, Tennessee's O-line is apparently their "strength".

Having said all that, and I know it's only one game, but are we worried about the pressure our D-line may or may not generate? Or are we still hopeful that stopping the run is the key to our success, then blitzing with our LB's & DB's?

I did read another post a week or so ago, suggesting that sacks accumulate to "more" 3 and outs. With stats to back up the point.

I for one, am more excited about the "depth" we appear to have at D-line.

This is incredibly wrong, anyone that voted for stopping the run. Out pass rush is so horrible that even Kerry Collins looked decent back there! You look at tape after tape, and you see nothing but pressure from these top-tier defenses, which is why they get so many fumbles and INT's. Most INT's are from bad throws being forced by pressure. Our run defense is fine now with our new lineup of LB. It's our pass rush that is really hurting. Pay close attention to it during the next game, and see just how horrible it is. =\

well our dline took care of 50% of its job in a big way. our run stopping looked exactly like it should. big fatties clogging the middle and allowing our linebackers to make plays. if our dline can sustain this (hopefully they can) we should be in for a good season in the run stopping department. and its safe to say london fletcher just doesnt miss tackles, and rocky probably wont either (as long as theres a face mask to hold on to haha)

but our pass rush, again, was dreadful. collins wasnt flushed once and didnt have to force a single bad throw. that all falls on our DEs who werent getting any pressure.

on a side note (to give our dline more praise, coming from me thats just insane!) did everyone see how much better those up the middle blitzes worked when our dline plays better? we opened up lanes for guys to come rushing through, something we did nothing of last year. last year our blitzes failed because of our dline, the two big ones i remember from saturday were effective because our dline made it so. now lets hope they can stay healthy!

What we need is for the Panthers to foolishly let Julius Peppers get into the final year of his contract and we have him on Redskins 1 to give us a pass rusher and run stuffer.

This year well we more than likely will have to continue with smoke and mirrors err using packages to blitz from other positions other than defensive line

With a power secondary like ours, I think the importance placed on the pass rush from the line is at least diminished. Therefore, I think the improvement on our defensive line needs to happen in the middle.

We did well against the run last saturday. But once again where were the sacks?

Archived