Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What does our D-Line most need to improve?

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Alot of people are probably going to disagree with me, but I'm gonna say rushing the passer. Just for the simple fact that we've never been able to do that. Until last season we werent real bad in stopping the run. We still have the same d-line that took us to the playoffs, we just added Carter. I've heard a couple of old Redskins players say it before games and after games, that we havent had a decent pass rush, ever since our SB days. But until last year, they werent saying much about the run stop.

Health is what we need to improve from last year... I think since the line wasn't healthy last year, the coaches think; if healthy; they can be alot better... and I agree

we play'd lots of zone coverage behind the line last year, becuase of injurys to our secondary, we couldn't be an agressive D becuase of that...

We need someone to show that they can make plays and disrupt the Quarterback. They had way too much time to sit back in the pocket and pick us apart. If you get a QB rattled with consistent pass rush, they will not be nearly as effective. Give them 8 seconds in the pocket and they will pick you apart.

If Andre Carter can step up and give us a consistent pass rush, especially on third down, this defense will be off the field a lot quicker than they were last year. I feel like we got blasted on D this past year because we couldn't stop teams on third down, and that's because we couldn't get adequate pass rush.

Like you said, the improved secondary will help, but we still need somewhat of a consisten passrush to get QBs out of their comfort zone.

we sucked at both, but stopping the run should be first. we have guys that are capable of blitzing at other positions, and as much as it sucks relying on other facets of our defense for pass rush, you cant rely on the LB/DB to stop the run. the dline has to be the first line of defense for that.

Agreed, but I think we will have no problem stopping the run this year with London Fletcher-Baker in the middle of the show, especially if Griff can stay healthy. Dude is a beast when he's full strength and just clogs the middle.

In no order:

- Pass Rushers need to at least cause pressure. I'm not saying Carter, Daniels, Wynn, Evans and Washington have to get a sack all the time; but they need to hit the QB often and get in his face alot. Our Hurries/Hit #'s need to be very high this season. The QB should be afraid to throw the ball against us.....not look forward to it.

- DT's (and DE's in some cases) have got to clog holes and free up Fletcher, Washington, McIntosh etc. Marshall had alot of difficultly getting past blockers b/c the DTs couldn't take on 2 blockers.

- Disrupt Timing: this goes back to point #1, if the DL disrupts timing at the LOS by penetrating it cand screw up traditional screens and the infamous WR screens that takes away a faster WR/RB.

- Get Your hands up!!!!!: One of the things that I remember alot with 2005 (in particular the Dallas home game) was that if a DL wasn't getting the sack, he on occasion did make a play by knocking the ball down at the LOS (Big Joe was notorious for this). Didn't see this this as much in 2006

- Stay Healthy: Can't control that one

- Be Aggressive: That seems to be the key of this D. Attack, attack attack. No standing around.

Agreed, but I think we will have no problem stopping the run this year with London Fletcher-Baker in the middle of the show, especially if Griff can stay healthy. Dude is a beast when he's full strength and just clogs the middle.

well the bills have been awful against the run the past 2 seasons, and fletcher has been there the whole time. i worry about his effectiveness without a great DT in front of him. the line will dictate how good our LBs play against the run.

well the bills have been awful against the run the past 2 seasons, and fletcher has been there the whole time. i worry about his effectiveness without a great DT in front of him. the line will dictate how good our LBs play against the run.

That's a very good point. A great d-line can make linebackers look great and a bad one can make them look very bad. But remember this, when Griffin is healthy, he IS a great DT. My main concern is d-line depth. If guys get injured again like last year, we could be in for some trouble because I don't trust Montgomoery and Golston to hold things down in the middle, especially after what happened in that Titans game last year when Griffin and Salavea were both out.

Maybe Im a bit of a homer, but I trust Gregg Williams to have this defence bounce back and be at least top 15 if not a top 10 defence, especially with all ther versatility we have in the secondary and linebacking corps

That's a very good point. A great d-line can make linebackers look great and a bad one can make them look very bad. But remember this, when Griffin is healthy, he IS a great DT. My main concern is d-line depth. If guys get injured again like last year, we could be in for some trouble because I don't trust Montgomoery and Golston to hold things down in the middle, especially after what happened in that Titans game last year when Griffin and Salavea were both out.

Maybe Im a bit of a homer, but I trust Gregg Williams to have this defence bounce back and be at least top 15 if not a top 10 defence, especially with all ther versatility we have in the secondary and linebacking corps

again, ill beat the bludgeoned horse, our dline will make or break this defense this year. if golston is ready to emerge as a front line starter, we'll be better. if griffin can stay relatively healthy, we'll be better. if montgomry is ready to contribute, we'll be better. if salavea is healthy enough to spell our other guys, we'll be better.

if these guys dont pan out, were in trouble. aside from those 4 DTs, our depth chart at DT is thinner than Calista Flockhart. just imagine if griffin or salavea is out for some time. that leaves us 3 DTs worth anything at all, we have nobody whatsoever behind them. boschetti and clauss have maybe played 1 nfl game combined, and alexander probably wont make the team. the depth at DT is alarming and my only hope is that we address it during the season.

but again, if the injury bug bites our two aging injury riddled DTs over the age of 30, were in biiiig trouble.

the coaches really better have some grand plan up their sleeve because looking in from the outside, its not pretty.

Can't believe this is a post, Pass rusher... you can have Denver's secondary and if you can't put pressure on the qb, your secondary will eventually be broken down.

well put it this way, obviously i agree with you that we need pass rush from the front 4, or we lose. but if we cant stop the run, we lose too. we can generate a pass rush from the back 7, and as much as it sucks, its still a pass rush. but you cannot count on your back 7 to stop the run, thats just cause for disaster.

so, youre right, we need pass rushing from the front 4, no question. but stopping the run is more important. both are very important, but stopping the run is #1.

They need to improve on their ability to stay healthy. A tall order, but if Griffin, Salevea, Daniels, and Wynn can squeeze a full season out of thier ancient bodies, supplemented by the younger guys, we should be alright on the D-line.

Pass rushing is more flashy and visible than run stopping, so I don't blame those who are saying we need to improve pass rushing first. But the primary job of the defensive line is stopping the run. Period. You stop the run on first and second downs to set up third downs. If you can't stop the run on first and second, you'll never have the chance to rush the passer.

Also, as has been previously stated, pass rushing can come from anywhere.

BLC, I know our D was awful last season and that stopping the run was a big problem for us. I was hoping that our revamped linebacking core would really help our D while stopping the run, because of this I think our biggest weakness, at this time, is rushing the passer.

BLC, I know our D was awful last season and that stopping the run was a big problem for us. I was hoping that our revamped linebacking core would really help our D while stopping the run, because of this I think our biggest weakness, at this time, is rushing the passer.

i would say overall for the past few years, rushing the passer has been our biggest problem from the dline. but after last years debacle, we need to get back to basics first, which is stop the run. even if your linebackers are incredible, if runners have huge lanes to run through, and no one on your dline is getting x2 teamed, your linebackers won make much of a difference.

both facets of the game are important, and pass rush is a huuuuge concern with our dline. but first things first, stop the run.

In answering this question, one only needs to look at both games we played against New York. Tiki Barber exposed us in the worst kind of way. I can remember on numerous occasions where it would be 3rd and 4. All the other team had to do was sweep to the right. 1st down. I don't think we'll have a problem stopping the pass this year as our secondary looks pretty solid. The key to getting to the qb, is having sound coverage in the secondary. So with that said, the only thing we need to worry about is stopping the run.

It's funny that this poll is split down the middle and our D was equaly aweful in both areas. The question should be "what should the #1 priority of any defense be". IMO, shut down the run and make them throw. If we can put up over 21 a game, teams will be forced to throw. That would force teams to play into our (hopefully) strength.

what the entire defense needs most is to stay healthy.

the unit's key veterans to a man went down with some form of injury in 2006 that limited their effectiveness or prematurely ended their season.

it was perhaps the worst case of guys losing man-hours out on the field I have seen here for this defense in 15-20 years.

I guarantee you if the Patriots had lost Richard Seymour and Asante Samuel their defense would have declined noticeably.

Here we lost Washington, Griffin, Springs for long stretches and all outsiders did was dump on how little talent the defense had.

It was a lot of the same talent that reached the second round of the playoffs the year before.

While some guys are getting older, a unit doesn't age that quickly.

Archived