Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Warren Sapp, anyone???

CAMPBELL2MOSS4SIX

Just to inject some facts into this discussion.

Sack leader among NFL DT's last season? Warren Sapp with 10.

2nd in sacks among DTs? Detroits Cory Redding with 8, who just became the highest paid DT in NFL history.

The idea that Sapp, in the best shape of his entire career, is washed up, doesn't seem to be supported by the facts. If people want to say that Sapp is irritating and they don't like him my only response is, "10 Sacks and 47 tackles". I can deal with irritating while we're winning the battle at the LOS and putting opposing QBs on their backs. I want our team to win, period. Sapp, even at 34, would be the best 3-technique tackle we've had here since forever. If Oakland is dumb enough to cut him, I want him chauffered to Redskin 1 before he packs his locker.

Second, with Nemo injured and rehabbing, we don't have a back-up FB to Mike Sellers. Crockett hits like a hammer and definitely worth a look.

Uncalled for? That's what Warren Sapp should have done! If I'm a coach, I'd want my players to take every opportunity they have to try to lay someone out like that, as long as the hit's clean and within the rules.

Why do you think Sean Taylor hits so hard? It sends a message to the opposing team, and it also might make them do some things that will get them into trouble within the game.

Injuries are a part of football and I'm sure most players, including Sapp, don't want their hard hits translate into ending guys' careers.

See that's the difference between us. As a Middle School Football Coach, I teach my guys how to hit hard, square, and clean. While I understand that even the most legal of hits can have a career ending consequence, I would never stand for one of my players hitting another like that.

And in my opinion, while technically a clean hit, it's still dirty.

:2cents:

What happens if the runner cuts back? I'm sorry but you play until the whistle blows and you hit anything that moves. Clifton wasn't just standing there watching the play. He was busting his butt to put himself in position to make a play if necessary. It's unfortunate that Clifton got hurt on the play but that's Clifton's fault for not keeping his head on a swivel. And the hit hardly ended his career. He hasn't missed a start in 4 seasons.

Exactly, you can't just assume a guy isn't going to catch up. Plus, in football, plays happen so fast you really can't stop and think about that.

See that's the difference between us. As a Middle School Football Coach, I teach my guys how to hit hard, square, and clean. While I understand that even the most legal of hits can have a career ending consequence, I would never stand for one of my players hitting another like that.

And in my opinion, while technically a clean hit, it's still dirty.

:2cents:

I love seeing the big hits, and I think it pumps up a team. I even at times agree with Sean Taylor's late hits and such just because it intimidates people.Different philosophies I guess (I'm not a coach, but always have an opinion.) :cheers:

The cheap shot is from that Tampa/Green Bay game, where he blind sided that tackle on an INT return, that ended the guys career. Then almost got into a fight with the Green bay coach.

He's selfish because the few interviews I've heard with him he only seems to care about Sapp, and nothing else.

Yeah I've heard he puts on a happy and goofy face when the camera is on, but when it's off he's a big fat jerk. I really don't know if he would be an upgrade to what we have on the line right now. We could always bring him into camp and then cut him if he can't cut the mustard, but since he's a long time vet he'd be a little expensive. I believe I'll pass on this one.

Sapp is an end of career guy that is close to uncoachable. There is no way a prima donna like that plays for Gregg Williams.

did you ever think for a minute that one of the reasons Sapp put up decent rush numbers was because offenses were focusing on Derrick Burgess? :)

Sapp is an end of career guy that is close to uncoachable. There is no way a prima donna like that plays for Gregg Williams.

did you ever think for a minute that one of the reasons Sapp put up decent rush numbers was because offenses were focusing on Derrick Burgess? :)

That's a zero-sum argument. Maybe Burghess looked good because offenses look to double team Sapp every down. The difference is, Sapp has been the best 3-technique penetrating DT in football for a decade and Burghess is a guy no one ever heard of drafted in the third round who had 8.5 sacks in his three seasons in Philly. Playing next to Sapp he has 27 in two seasons. Hmmm...

Since d-lineman play is based so much on rotation, I really don't see the harm in it. I hate signing teams left-overs but it's pretty hard for me to see the downside of this POSSIBLE move. Wait a minute he is one of those polarizing figures in the locker-room; when you're winning great guy, and you're losing points fingers and is a butt-hole. Thats enough for me.

Sapp actually looked like garbage before coming back in 2006 to post respectable numbers. He was the most overpaid DL in the NFL his last season in Tampa.

One would guess that a 34 year old former pro bowler with an attitude is NOT going to go, if free to do so, to a team that would want him as part of a rotation.

So, if you are talking about Sapp, you are really talking about giving him a REAL contract and not a vet minimum deal AND assuring him he is in the running for a starting job.

Since d-lineman play is based so much on rotation, I really don't see the harm in it. I hate signing teams left-overs but it's pretty hard for me to see the downside of this POSSIBLE move. Wait a minute he is one of those polarizing figures in the locker-room; when you're winning great guy, and you're losing points fingers and is a butt-hole. Thats enough for me.

He's loud and speaks his mind, but he's not a Randy Moss or T.O. If he can handle playing for the Raiders, how bad a personality could he be?

Sapp actually looked like garbage before coming back in 2006 to post respectable numbers. He was the most overpaid DL in the NFL his last season in Tampa.

One would guess that a 34 year old former pro bowler with an attitude is NOT going to go, if free to do so, to a team that would want him as part of a rotation.

So, if you are talking about Sapp, you are really talking about giving him a REAL contract and not a vet minimum deal AND assuring him he is in the running for a starting job.

He actually wasn't very good the three years before last year. If you could guarantee that the guy we'd be getting is the Sapp from last year I'd be all for bringing him in but needless to say that is hardly a guarantee.

Sapp was actually pretty darn good last year. When he first showed up on the Raiders he looked old, out of shape and done, but last season he returned to form.

I'd give the vet minimum plus incentives.

Wherever he goes, if he goes, I don't think he'd accept the Vet minimum.

Probably the least coached position in football (behind kicker) is a DT. Strategy wise anyway. Close the gap, go for the ball. If you can't touch the QB, stick an arm up. GW would have to want him for it to work, though. Has Sapp kept the weight off?

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather sign Tank Johnson and have him sit for half the season. Just think Bruce Smith when you think of Warren Sapp.

I doubt GW would play anybody for them just to get their numbers like Smith.

I don't know what he wants, or even if he is available, but we can't let him have any of Cooleys money. Sapp is likely HOF, and maybe could teach our young guys a trick or 2 for the right price.

Probably the least coached position in football (behind kicker) is a DT. Strategy wise anyway. Close the gap, go for the ball. If you can't touch the QB, stick an arm up. GW would have to want him for it to work, though. Has Sapp kept the weight off?

He lost 49 pounds, which is ridiculous. I'm not sure if he benefits from losing that much weight.

Sapp was actually pretty darn good last year. When he first showed up on the Raiders he looked old, out of shape and done, but last season he returned to form.

I'd give the vet minimum plus incentives.

From what I understand it was a change in philosophies that he struggle with early in Oakland. He has always been a 1 gapper and Oakland asked him to 2 gap. Instead of attacking the QB and stopping the run on the way, he was asked to tie up 2 gaps and attack less. Last year they went and let him do what he does best and Oakland's D was much improved. As long as our intentions are to get him in there to disrupt straight up the middle and not just hold his ground, he could be the answer to our questionable D-line. Love to see this on 3rd and long: Carter - Sapp - Griffin - Washington

Archived