Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Radar detectors....... who has em!

Siven

If you get one make sure that it can't be detected by a radar detector detector. I was bored until I found this thread.

He lives in MD. :rolleyes:

the problem with RD is that next month (or year) the radar gun mfg will come out with something better. cincinatti microwave used to make both the guns and the detectors (before bell, whistler....were selling units). The other problem is that most cops use "instant on" units or techniques and your detector can't help you against that. To me the RD units, while helpfull the mojority of the time will lull you into a false sense of security and the instant on radar will get you. I threw mine away 10 years ago and decided to kept below 10 over the speed limit and haven't got a ticket since.

and with the new "cival penalties" in VA., I wouldn't rely on pos chirping box.

I have a BEL radar detector (can't remember the modal number) now and it has saved me many times. It covers all the radar frequencies and Laser. I have not had a speeding ticket since 1993, when I bought my first RD.

I drive to Daytona Beach a lot and it has saved me from getting many tickets through the years driving up and down I-95 that it has paid for itself many times over.

I am moving to VA soon, so I won’t be using it anymore, except when I go on trips outside of VA.

I do have a question about the VA ban on radar detectors.

Isn’t it unconstitutional that VA and DC having them illegal in their state and district???

Don't need one for the most part these days. That and with the hills and stuff here, they've become pretty good at hiding in spots that by the time your detector goes off, it's just about too late.

Why would it be unconstitutional?

There is one very pervasive arguement that the constitution allows you to receive, without penalty, any radio signal that is receivable inside your property....be that radio, tv, or radar. The car is argued as an extension of your "personal property"

More specifically, the Supreme Court has upheld any challenge to a persons right to receive "unencrypted RF band transmissions". Therefore the Virginia ban on radar detectors is illegal and all it's going to take is an appeal to the Supreme Court to get the law overturned as it has been in other States. The problem is, it's much cheaper to buy another detector than launch a campaign on the Supreme Court!

Heed these words and just slow down...didn't you see the recent thread here about the kid who rolled his car? Why do you feel you need to speed?

because I like it.:D My best friend died in a car crash when I was 16. I have actually gotten much better...found the cruise control button...so that helps. If you dont understand the "need to speed" I really wouldnt be able to explain it to you.:2cents: :logo:

Archived