Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does everyone hate deion?

GrimReaper21

As TCO said. BULLSH*T.

Pettibone told Darrell "you take out their best WR". The other 10 will worry about the everyone else."

Andre Reed (buffalo) didn't throw his helmet in the super bowl because kelly was over throwing him. He threw it because Darrell took him out of the game. kelly was woozy after that game from all the hits he took; hits because D. Green blanketed Reed.

Who was the ONLY corner who shut down Randy Moss in Moss' rookie season? Sure as h*ll wasn't peeon.

Know why wilburn led the league in INTs the one year (with 10 or 12) and did NOT make the pro bowl? he played opposite Darrell. They wouldn't throw at Darrell.

From a previous reply...

Daryl was never the caliber cover corner Deion was, although he's a supposed 'Great Guy' off the field, he couldn't cover as well as Deion. He wasn't as aggressive in coverage. He didn't play the mind games with QB's that Deion did.

And, once again, BS! If someone can make the statement that Deion can cover better then Darrell, then they have only watched Darrell in the later 90's when he simply wasn't as good as his play from the 80's to early 90's. When it came to man-to-man coverage, Darrell was it. Why do you think Jerry Rice said that DARRELL, not DEION, was the toughest CB that ever covered him? Coming from a great such as Jerry Rice, I think that's a creditable opinion on DG's cover skills.

Also, Darrell always didn't have to be overly-aggressive in coverage since he had great speed and leaping ability. He always played bigger then his frame-size. When a CB has good technique, he doesn't have to always necessarily play aggressive, which can sometimes lead to out of control play. (Remember the safety Matt Stevens...? He lead the league in INT's, but he was always flagged for his overly-aggressive play.)

The ability to play "mind-games" with QB's isn't always indicative of a CB's skill--besides, why would Darrell have to play mind-games with the QB when they simply wouldn't throw to his side of the field? LOL!

DG is simply the best...ever. Bar none. And this includes Deion.

~B.

(I may be biased, but,) I think the role of "shutdown corner" was created for Darrell.

He bacame my favorite Redskin when some announcer (I think Madden), covering a game, said that Darrell was listed as a CB, but that really wasn't the position he played. That what he did was play man-to-man against the other team's best receiver (I think it was Jerry Rice in this game, but he also mentioned Irvin), and follow him around all game: If Rice went into motion, Darrell'd follow him. If Rice came out to take a break, Darrell would, too.

His only mission, all game long: Keep Jerry Rice out of the game.

(When Michael Jordan decided to try baseball, several people wondered about him playing WR. But I wondered about him following Jerry Rice around all day long, staying in the passing lane (I bet MJ understands that term), and don't let the ball get past you. (I suspect he might've even come down with a few balls.))

That statement (must have been 15 years ago: I think Gibbs was still the coach) stuck with me. The very concept of, not only playing man-to-man, but doing so against the other team's best player, sounded real noble to me.

And, that statement, from Madden, at least makes me believe that that kind of role for a player was unique (or at least, very rare) for him.

I love Darrell Green. I love him a lot. He makes my short list for favorite all-time Redskin. Love him.

I hate Deion Sanders. I hate him a lot. He is at THE TOP of my list for least liked players of all time. Hate him.

Darrell Green was not, in his prime, as good of a pure cover corner as Deion was in his prime. Sorry ... it's true. Green did many other things to make himself a great CB. A great cover corner. A great football player. But, if you're talking cornerback purely in the sense of covering a WR or area ... Deion in his prime was better.

I'd still take Green even-up any day (and I would if both were in their prime). :)

Originally posted by Hokieskin

But no one ever said that Darrell shut down half of the field like they did about Deon.

Deon was a great cb but he was even better at punt returns. That is where his skills were truely showcased. He could do amazing things when he got his hands on the ball.

:puke:

You need to find a tape of the Redskins - Bears playoff game where Darrell took a kickoff , hurdled a defender and took it to the house. THE most amazing athletic play I have ever seen.

Some of you people have SHORT memories.

Everyone here hates Deion because of what he was earlier in his career, and that he came to the skins for one year and did absolutely nothing.

I HATED Deion too, once upon a time. Living in Ga in the early 90s, i learned to hate Deion with all his showboating, trashtalking, "2 Legit 2 Quit" MC Hammer BS, etc. etc. The year in SF made me hate him even more, as i Despise all things 49er (except for Montana and Rice). I almost threw my TV through my wall in High School when I found out he was coming to Dallas.

But somewhere in those Dallas years, Deion realized what a jerk and scumball he'd been, and righted his life. Finding religion, straightening up his act, FINALLY maturing, whatever you want to call it he did it and by all accounts since then, he's been a good person. I find it hard to hate the guy anymore...heck, even on TV you can tell he's no longer the trashtalking loudmouth jerk in jerrycurl that he was in the FSU/Falcon days.

ChrisFul, I find him to be the SAME EXACT trashtalking fool he always was. Since he's found religion he likes to say he's giving praise to the lord, but when he stood in the middle of a field or endzone and made the kind of gestures he made ... he was bringing the attention to himself just like he always did.

Today on TV he's simply a toned down version of the same thing wearing what looks like a bad tablecloth cut into a suit.

Chrisful, that's exactly backwards. I LIKED the younger Deion, just like I was entertained by Charles Barkley. I don't mind a guy who's outspoken and something of a showman.

But Deion, to my mind, grew much, much worse over the years. The 'outrageous' guys I enjoy always do it with a bit of tongue-in-cheek, and at heart are warriors and team players. Deion was neither. He became pure Meon, and as his skill began to erode those tendencies grew worse.

What sealed it for me was taking the $8 million bonus, quitting like a punk when it became clear he'd actually have to work for it, then bragging he got paid for nothing.

Shutdown corner? Yes, he was. But a lot of that was on reputation alone. Teams simply wouldn't look his way, and as a result Deion could do what he liked most which was to loaf his way thru games. But the guys who picked at him carefully - to his credit, Norv was always one of them - enjoyed enough success to belie this business of 'shuting down half the field'.

And he certainly was a great punt returner. But go watch tape of Darrell Green the rare occasions he was asked to return punts. Darrell Green was potentially the most exciting punt returner of all time.

There's a thought. We certainly need a return man this week. What better way to let DG have fun and get additional playing time in his final game?

Originally posted by Brave

I love Darrell Green. I love him a lot. He makes my short list for favorite all-time Redskin. Love him.

I hate Deion Sanders. I hate him a lot. He is at THE TOP of my list for least liked players of all time. Hate him.

Darrell Green was not, in his prime, as good of a pure cover corner as Deion was in his prime. Sorry ... it's true. Green did many other things to make himself a great CB. A great cover corner. A great football player. But, if you're talking cornerback purely in the sense of covering a WR or area ... Deion in his prime was better.

I'd still take Green even-up any day (and I would if both were in their prime). :)

this is true...

and if you take off the redskin colored glasses more people would say this...

Green has been a great player... who has made the pro bowl a few times, A great redskin.... A great pro.... but better than sanders in his prime he is not

this is true...

and if you take off the redskin colored glasses more people would say this...

Green has been a great player... who has made the pro bowl a few times, A great redskin.... A great pro.... but better than sanders in his prime he is not

Perhaps you need to take off your wannabe pimp glasses and watch some old video. Deion was a grea cover corner, but was ALWAYS more style than substance, more PR than anything else. That you've fallen for it, well... take of it what you will.

Originally posted by TheChosenOne

Perhaps you need to take off your wannabe pimp glasses and watch some old video. Deion was a grea cover corner, but was ALWAYS more style than substance, more PR than anything else. That you've fallen for it, well... take of it what you will.

I guess the stats lie

Green 19 seasons 294 games 54 ints for 621 yds 8tds as a corner back, pass defend 129

Sanders 11 seasons 163 games 48 ints 1187 yds 8 tds Pass defend 113

Do the numbers einstein

Also considering Sanders played baseball, and wr

Perhaps you didn't understand when this was covered earlier in the thread. INTs don't determine the abilities of a DB. In fact, the better you are (oddly enough, though this is a tangent, Dr. Z (yuck) was discussing this very thing in his column today where he attributed Brian Kelly's INT #s to the avoidance of Ronde Barber), the less they will throw to you. For years and years, Darrell had no one of any significant talent across from him, and barely saw any passes thrown his way because of his abilities as a shutdown corner. You'll have to try again.

Your obstinacy brings up another pet peeve of mine. Most young'uns (including people my age) really fail to appreciate just how good players like Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith and Darrell Green are, Emmitt in particular. People saw how Emmitt was playing this year when he broke the career rushing mark, and dissed his skills. While not the best RB to play the game, I think he was seriously short-changed in the discussion. If you saw him play 10 years ago, there was no doubt of his elite status, and one of the NFL's all-time great RBs. Fantastic players who are so talented that they are able to compete at the NFL level well into what is the typical NFL player's retirement years clouds the minds of the casual observer, cheapening the image that they are truely owed by virtue of their performance throughout their careers.

Sometimes stats lie, sometimes they don't say much. I fail to understand how INT return yards and TDs say anything about coverage abilities. Likewise what playing baseball has to do with playing football.

Number of picks and passes defended are two relevant stats but you must be aware they do little to determine who was the better corner. For one thing, maybe Darrell was the better 'shutdown corner' and fewer QBs threw to his man. For another, there's plenty of other aspects of the game to consider than just those two statistics.

In your previous post you quoted Brave's post to bolster your argument that Deion was a better player than Green. You misread what Brave said. While he contended that Deion was better at the narrow aspect of covering a specific area or WR, he also said he would take Green over Deion any day. That sounds to me like Green was the better player, the better pro.

Well, for the stats people, let's take see the stats.

Deion

http://football.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=589

Darrell

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=931

My but this thread did take off in a different direction.

As a cover corner there is a rather opinionated case for both. Darrell has been discussed. Larry and Jimbo both hit on it. Darrell's receiver was being ignored long before Deions. Now, Deion was in fact a bigger guy...darn near 20 lbs and 4 inches. He played big in coverage. Often pounding the receiver right off the line. Darrell was not afraid to get his head in there either but Deion's bigger size tended to help knock the receiver around a bit more. Bigger receivers it would seem tended to be able to push off Darrell easier than Deion. That size thing. ( This could be defined as aggressive for some). Depends on one's point of view if that makes Deion better.

Both CB's play aggressively. Take a look at how both of them would pounce on the shorter passes thrown to their respective receivers. Both could be burned by this aggressivness and were, but both had the speed to make up ground and stay in the play. Which they did more times than not. (Deion never did race Darrell man up.... I wonder why that is or was?)

Now, as we have discussed before on this forum, who was the better Corner overall? Well, being that the other job of the CB is outside containment, and Darrell was by far the more physical Corner of the 2 in that regard, (don't believe me? take alook at those stats. Just do Darrells first 13 seasons to compare with Deions.....whoa), then Darrell it is. He played the position completely. Not one or the other. :cheers:

Here is a stat that tells me alot.

Deion 474 tackles in 163 games. 2.9 per game 385 solo tackles 2.3 a game

Darrell 1197 tackles in 294 games 4.07 per 980 solo 3.33 per

So Darrell who is smaller has got more tackles per game over a longer career and that is with him playing as a nickle or less the last 3 years. Deion has been a starter until he got scared of Marty. That tells me about all I need to know

Originally posted by Montilar

Why I hate peeon deion.

let's see.........

1) He's a cowboy to me.

2) he's nothing but a mercenary.

Abandoned Atlanta; san fran; Dallas, Washington. He would only play this year ONCE a team made it to the playoffs without him and only for a team that he expected to go to the super bowl. (by the way, that's why he signed with san fran, Dallas and Washngton; he thought they were super bowl contenders).

3) He won't tackle or attempt to tackle if it means getting hit. My favorite two memories of him are a) him running in terror out of bounds to avoid get tattoed by a pulling Tre johnson and thus letting Terry allen get another 5, 6 yards. And B) Dan Turk knocking him on his @ss on a punt return.

4) He's a loudmouth showboating ME ME ME player. And dresses like a pimp usually. Every time he opens his mouth someone should smack him upside the head. Those gestures he would make toward the heavens were not prayers to god as he would have you think but to draw attention to him; he's saying "look at me, look at me act like a moron."

5) In short he's a....... (I won't say what I want to say; wimp is the more polite term). He couldn't cut training camp or deal with a tough coach like marty. Who is betting he stays retired as long as he has to report to marty?

Anyone who would consider deion their hero, I pity. And I'm sure a bunch of kids consider him an idol just like they do other thugs like Ray Lewis, Randy Moss, allen iverson, or that pro basketball player who tried to beat up or kill his coach (yet everyone blamed the poor coach).

The ones they should idolize are the Darrell Greens, the Art Monks, the Steve Largents, the Joe Gibbs', Joe Montana'setc. etc. But they don't go around shouting "me, me, me, me"....

I second that. It was dark day when Deion Sanders doned a Skins uniform.

Even if you live on the side of the fence that peeon was better(I am not), you can not come off and say peeon was "way better" Also I remember one game where peeon got burnt badly for TD (with the Skins) and he went down with an injuryand could hardly walk ( just after the guy got past him) he had to be helped from the field, looked "real" bad until about 2 plays later and he was back. So I figure as big as his ego was it must have gotten hurt pretty badly and that is what happened

SS21 you seem to have imbibed lots of Holiday cheer, Sanders is a WHORE. My FONDEST MEMORY of him was at Redskin park during training camp I went and stood on one of the picnic tables and BOOED him, yelled at him "slow old man u not only lost one but both steps" "this is a big mistake" my brother was telling me to get down and relax but, I just wanted my opinion heard. I pay for my tix and I paid to get into that circus of a training camp that moron Snyder put on. Sanders saw me, heard me that other loser Turner saw me, heard me.

Archived