Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does everyone hate deion?

GrimReaper21

SmootSkins21,

Let me guess--you're a younger fan? Because judging from your posts and replies, I don't think you've ever seen Darrell play when he was THE bona-fide starter as a CB. If you had, then you wouldn't say things such as, "Deion is way better than Darrel Green ever was. But Darrel will also be more liked because he is a better person."

This isn't just about Darrell's popularity, but his skill as a CB. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a shame that younger fans of the game don't recall, or realize, that players such as Darrell, Jerry Rice, and Emmitt were great players, but since they are at the end of their career, they are seen as simply "old," or they aren't given the credit for their deeds on the field.

I don't even know where to begin, but since you seem to be convinced that Deion is "way better" then Darrell EVER was, even after the valid, and good arguments, presented on this thread, I just don't think you can change your mind. Deion is simply too much of a hero to you.

And that's a shame, considering you're a Skins' fan.

~B.

We don't like Sanders because he is a bit of a parasite.

He feasts off high calibre teams ready to win the title. Did it in SF, Dallas, and thought he was doing it in DC.

Had he never left Atlanta, he would not have received half of the accolades that he has.

As for the "best pure cover corner", yes, he probably gets it. But that sort of seems like a title invented by his own promotion crew. I think that when a lot of us are comparing him to Darrell, we mistake the title for being the "best cornerback", which clearly is Darrell's to claim (at least over Deion).

I certainly don't see Deion chasing down premier running back and tackling them to save touchdowns, and we all know how many times Darrell was able to do that....

Oh, and I almost forgot. That phony BS religion stuff may win him some converts, but it just doesn't pass the smell test for me. His actions are just as self centred and conceited as at any time. If he takes some personal solace from prayer, that's great. But don't try to claim that he is a good person because of his "belief". When Darrell Green claims to be a good christian, I believe it. When Danny Wuerffel claim to be a good christian, I can believe it. Same thing with a guy like Mark Bavaro (who by many accounts started the praying in the end zone).

Guys like Deion and Cris Carter just don't act the part, no matter how much they claim to.

Originally posted by Henry

Dareel was a more complete player than Deion was. Darrell was the top cover corner in the NFL for five or so years until Rod Woodsen came along. He led the Redskins in tackles his rookie year and was much better in run support than Deion ever was. It's just that Darrell has been around so long, some people only remember his play in the 90's and beyond, when he was merely above average. Of course he was 30-40 years old by then, and obviously not as good as Deion was from 23-33.

But in his prime, Darrell was as dominant a player as anyone to play the position.

As dominate a player as anyone to play the position? Hey, I love Darryl Green also, but c'mon. He was always great, but he's never been a dominate player. Dominate players change the game, and Deion did that. I will always admin that Daryl Green was much more willing and better in run support but in coverage Deion was on a different level.

The term cover corner was poineered by Deion. Now when a hot new CB in the draft is coined a cover corner who can limit half of the field, that is because of Deion. No corner ever put fear in a CB's heart like Deion did, and also what he did with the ball after he picked it off.

Originally posted by Baculus1

DG is simply the best...ever. Bar none. And this includes Deion.

~B.

Michael Irvin made Darrell Green his woman on national TV. Totally dominated him. Jerry Rice did the same kinds of things to him also.

Deion gave these same two guys fits. Deion had terrible technique, but he was always there. He was able to handle WR's big and small.

Aggressiveness is the sign of a dominate player at any position.

From LT, to Rice, to Favre..etc... not matter what the tecnique, the greatest players want to make plays. Deion made plays, he didn't just cover guys. Daryl was more of a solid cover corner but didn't have the exceptional playmaking ability that Deion had.

Daryl had his moments, but he wasn't as consistent a playmaker as Deion.

Originally posted by rellim

As dominate a player as anyone to play the position? Hey, I love Darryl Green also, but c'mon. He was always great, but he's never been a dominate player. Dominate players change the game, and Deion did that. I will always admin that Daryl Green was much more willing and better in run support but in coverage Deion was on a different level.

The term cover corner was poineered by Deion. Now when a hot new CB in the draft is coined a cover corner who can limit half of the field, that is because of Deion. No corner ever put fear in a CB's heart like Deion did, and also what he did with the ball after he picked it off.

This sort of debate is starting to take on an "Emmitt vs. Barry" dynamic. Barry was the better runner but terrible at all else, Emmitt was a great runner, and also excelled as a blocker, receiver, leader, and was more durable. Same here. As SPare said above, sure Deion was a slightly better cover corner, but that doesn't mean he was a better player.

This nonsense about Rice and Irvin owning Darrell simply not ture. Rice never owned Darrell. In fact, Rice has said Darrell's the best CB he ever faced. Irvin never faced Darrell in his prime. Darrell was in his 30's before Irvin became a pro-bowler. In other words, when Darrell was 30-35 he was facing the best team in the league's top WR twice a year. Deion at the same age is a competant #2 behind Bailey and retired. So If you are bringing up Irvin as an example you are showing your (lack of) age.

And if you don't think Green was a game-changer, you never saw him in his prime.

... and it might help your arguement a little if you knew how his name is spelled.

I lost interest in this debate when it became apparent:

1. Some of these people that are "pro-Deion," are, I have a feeling, too young to remember Darrell in his prime. This affects their judgement, methinks.

2. One's someone's mind is set, it's not going to change.

Also, I agree--it's hard to make a valid argument if you cannot even spell Darrell's name correctly.

~B.

Archived