Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FBI probes allegations NBA ref bet on games he worked.

Guest sith lord

I would laugh my butt off if it was Crawford. That guy thinks he's a superstar player or something. He threw out Tim Duncan -- Tim Duncan!-- for laughing and then challenged him to a fight. Who knows? Maybe he had ten large riding on the game.

Is there any sport left that is not tainted by some big scandal or conspiracy anymore? Maybe table tennis or curling.

That Chinese ping pong dude was juiced up I heard!:laugh: :logo:

I'm still under the belief that there are no more or no less problems today than 30 years ago...Its just the media aspect of covering the "scandels" has been hightend.:2cents: :logo:

Guest sith lord
How is it bad for the NBA? The ref was the one doing the betting. I say bad for him.

Leonard, are you kidding? A ref can influence the outcome of games for crying out loud. Now you're gonna have a large portion of your fan base wondering if these games are on the level. That's not good anyway you put it.

Leonard, are you kidding? A ref can influence the outcome of games for crying out loud. Now you're gonna have a large portion of your fan base wondering if these games are on the level. That's not good anyway you put it.

ESPECIALLY becasue it is the NBA. The officiating can be such a huge factor in the outcome of games, not to mention that's it's also more subjective than other sports. For those reasons, people are already less trusting of NBA officials than other sports. I think this definitely hurts the NBA, a sport that's already on a downswing and in need of some help.

ESPECIALLY becasue it is the NBA. The officiating can be such a huge factor in the outcome of games, not to mention that's it's also more subjective than other sports. For those reasons, people are already less trusting of NBA officials than other sports. I think this definitely hurts the NBA, a sport that's already on a downswing and in need of some help.

I understand your viewpoint, but I'm tired of the "something goes wrong and the whole sport is ****ed" mentality. The ref didn't referee every single game for every team. The players still got to put the ball in the basket. As a ref, he could do his job on game day but use inside info to make educated bets. :2cents: Obviously, if its seconds left and lebron take 5 extra steps while driving the lane....NO CALL.

I just think it's too hard to fix a game, especially with other refs around. Only in the situation I described, is it possible but not 100%.

I understand your viewpoint, but I'm tired of the "something goes wrong and the whole sport is ****ed" mentality. The ref didn't referee every single game for every team. The players still got to put the ball in the basket. As a ref, he could do his job on game day but use inside info to make educated bets. :2cents: Obviously, if its seconds left and lebron take 5 extra steps while driving the lane....NO CALL.

I just think it's too hard to fix a game, especially with other refs around. Only in the situation I described, is it possible.

All I'm saying is, in a sport where player biases by refs, games being decided by refs and over interference by refs is the widely held perception, this is not a good thing to throw on top of that pile. Aside from a generally poor product on the court, this is another problem the NBA has to deal with and soon. They are quickly losing ground in the sports marketplace and this on top of the perception NBA officiating already has does not help at all.

Guest sith lord

I just think it's too hard to fix a game, especially with other refs around. Only in the situation I described, is it possible but not 100%.

What are you talking about? You think it's hard to fix a game? All it takes is one phantom call late in the game to dictate the outcome. What if this ref was refereeing games of teams that were on the playoff bubble? A franchise could lose millions in playoff revenue is he was on the take.

Futhermore, wasn't the NBA talking about putting a franchise in Las Vegas? Those plans might have to be scrapped now. Nobody's saying that the NBA will go under, but this is a serious issue.

What are you talking about? You think it's hard to fix a game? All it takes is one phantom call late in the game to dictate the outcome. What if this ref was refereeing games of teams that were on the playoff bubble? A franchise could lose millions in playoff revenue is he was on the take.

Futhermore, wasn't the NBA talking about putting a franchise in Las Vegas? Those plans might have to be scrapped now. Nobody's saying that the NBA will go under, but this is a serious issue.

I'm thinking it's Benit Salvatore....his name sounds like he'd be involved with the mob :)

This would've never been a problem if referees were never given so much control to the outcome of games. They're more like babysitters in today's NBA.

No, they definitely don't need a franchise in Vegas. If anything they need to reduce the amount of teams...

Ahem, as I said the end of the game is the most fixable. Before that point, the cheating ref can't predict how his calls will determine the outcome.

The caveat to all this is if the other referees are doing their job. If they are, it will be tough to get away with an obvious bad call. Now if you want to argue the whole crew is on the fix, then you have a point.

I stand by my opinion that the ref is using inside info to make bets.

This would've never been a problem if referees were never given so much control to the outcome of games. They're more like babysitters in today's NBA.

The NBA is so physical now. Officials could either call a foul on every play or let them all play it out, obviously they can't do either. They have a tough job. Maybe they are a little underpaid and need a taste on the side. ;)

Guest sith lord
Ahem, as I said the end of the game is the most fixable. Before that point, the cheating ref can't predict how his calls will determine the outcome.

Wrong again. Any ref that is on the take, all they have to do is call a couple of quick fouls on the best player of any team and that will most likely influence the outcome of any game.

Guest sith lord
not always.

But most of the time. If Wade or Bryant is out of the game in early foul trouble, I like my chances if I'm the other team or if I gambled against them.

Archived