Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We dont need a top 10 reciever!

Thinking Skins

look at what we'v managed to get out of a group that, with the exception of Rod, are a bunchn of 4th rounders and below. This is a core that is pretty good. I'll even pose the argument that was presented to me a few days ago, "they had three different QB's throwing the ball to them." Look at the WR's that are successful in this league. This is a position like Rb where many success stories are made out of lower round picks. If we draft a WR in say the 4th or 5th round, then I have no problem with that, but to suggest spending a 1st or 2nd on it is acting like Norv. Remember him, the guy who would just ignore the defense and draft somebody who he saw as the key to the problems on offense.

Given, we dont have any pressing needs right now so we're able to look and draft the best player avaliable, but that doesn't mean that we dont have areas where we need improvement cause we do. Now if we get into a situation where Minny did a few years ago where Randy Moss slipped to them, then maybe we should take him, but to go into the draft looking at WR as one of our most serious needs is setting us up for a long season next year.

I don't know how much the stats mean, but Gardner and Thompson are having pretty good years given how difficult our QB play has been.

We're got a speed WR, Cliff Russell, coming off IR. I'm not convinced that this is where we need to invest.

If Charles Rogers fell to us, sure. That's not happening and I'm completely opposed to trading up for a certain hold-out. I'm for trading down in the first round.

Maybe we can take the kid out of San Diego State, Tolliver or something.

We already have enough youth at WR- we should pick up a WR in free agency. spend 1st round pick on D-line, second round pick on O-line , fourth and fifth rounds a kicker and punter(please) and mayby another Guard in free agency too. we'll have Cliff Russell and Robert Royal(TE) back next year.

Maybe one of our Stat masters can back me up on this but I don't think we have too many yards after the catch this year. What does that tell you? It tells me we could really use a top 10 reciever who can take that 5 or 10 yard slant to the house.

You want to get pressure on the QB? Make the other team play from behind.:pint:

Besides, hasn't Marvin Lewis gotten enough toys to play with? Let's let Spurrier have some toys and see what he does with them. Lets give Ramsey some tools to grow with by drafting WR #1 and OG #2. I'm sure we can get a pretty good situational pass rusher in round 3. If that doesn't work, a first round DE would be icing on the cake in the next draft. Just in time for our Superbowl run.

:cheers:

I have no problem if we go after a playmaking WR in the draft, but I do think we need to keep our current crew together. Thompson has really come on and is playing very well, he needs to be brought back.

I would be pretty happy with a WR crew that looks something like this in 2003

Gardner

Thompson

McCants

Russell

rookie/FA

rookie/FA

None of the WR in the team is a star player. I would grade Gardner perfomance as acceptable but not exceptional. So SOS would really need to bring a game-breaker to the team either through free agency or draft. And my guess is that early draf picks will be spent on OL/DL and try to sign star WR through free agency...

Originally posted by jonjeff

Our most serious need is along the offensive and defensive fronts. We need a standout OG. Look at what happened with Louverne and Brown in the starting lineup, not much. We need some hogs!

Couldn't agree more, it is all in the Lines. Success begins and ends there.

I'm curious to know how Tre has been playing since he came back. I'm hearing all these positive things about him and things like we must sign him, but is he the answer at RG? I know he has the style to play there, but he also has a lot of injury problems and thats a concern of mine. I'd rather he be a backup than a starter. So that means that we are in need of 2 guards next year right?

Originally posted by Mad Mike

Maybe one of our Stat masters can back me up on this but I don't think we have too many yards after the catch this year. What does that tell you? It tells me we could really use a top 10 reciever who can take that 5 or 10 yard slant to the house.

You want to get pressure on the QB? Make the other team play from behind.:pint:

Besides, hasn't Marvin Lewis gotten enough toys to play with? Let's let Spurrier have some toys and see what he does with them. Lets give Ramsey some tools to grow with by drafting WR #1 and OG #2. I'm sure we can get a pretty good situational pass rusher in round 3. If that doesn't work, a first round DE would be icing on the cake in the next draft. Just in time for our Superbowl run.

:cheers:

I remember Skins fans saying this 2-3 years ago. It's time for this team to stop ignoring the obvious weakness of the lines and address them.

Screw drafting a WR, we have enough youth at that position as it is. Not getting many YAC, could be a result of many reasons and not just speed. It be due to the players' youth, inexperienced or inadequate quarterbacks, and poor OL play. We've had all three of those this season, so I don't buy for a fact that we need a speedster to make this offense go.

What we NEED is OLinemen that can keep the pressure off of Ramsey has he picks defenses apart.

Originally posted by pgasia

None of the WR in the team is a star player. I would grade Gardner perfomance as acceptable but not exceptional. So SOS would really need to bring a game-breaker to the team either through free agency or draft. And my guess is that early draf picks will be spent on OL/DL and try to sign star WR through free agency...

I'd let you know that of the WRs drafted last season, Gardner has been the most consistent at a high level. He's steadily become better and better, while the others have had spurts of productivity and back to nothing.

Gardner will breakout next season, check his stats and you can tell that if he continues to progress he will be a monster.

2001 - 46 catches, 741 yards and 4 touchdowns

2002 - 66 catches, 947 yards and 8 touchdowns

We don't need a #1 reciever, we already have one. And if Spurrier has such a hard-on for a reciever :jerkoff: , he can go to free agency for it. What is the point in drafting another reciever when he'll likely won't produce for a few years anyway?

Not getting many YAC, could be a result of many reasons and not just speed. It be due to the players' youth, inexperienced or inadequate quarterbacks, and poor OL play

Good lord I was waiting for someone else to say this. The bottom line with our WR's is that they are still relatviely unknown. There have been too many variables influencing their play. Poor OL play, poor qb play, lack of running game, playing games from behind, etc. All of these outside variables have been negatively influencing their perfromances as well.

The only aspect of our team that seems to be helping our WR's is SS's tendancy to pass a lot. Of course this causes defenses to sit back and wait for the pass....thus making it harder for our WR's to break out. I realize this is a vast oversimplification of the facts but my point remains intact. We don't know what we have we these guys.

I agree with the guys who think we need a big fast play maker at the WR position. However we can't know if we don't allready have him. Our current guys are too young and need more chances.

What we do know is that we desperately need bodies in the middle of our offensive line and a pass rush from our defensive line. We don't have the potential, youth, etc. at those positoins that we have at WR. Therefore it would be STUPID for us to draft a WR high in this draft. Obviously we have to take the can't miss type guys if they fall to us but there is no other scenario that makes sense for us to draft a WR. We need to look to fill the holes we have at other positions first. We can look at WR's next year after we learn more about the guys we allready have.

We don't need a #1 reciever, we already have one. And if Spurrier has such a hard-on for a reciever , he can go to free agency for it. What is the point in drafting another reciever when he'll likely won't produce for a few years anyway?

Who made you GM and how much are they paying you? :rolleyes: Call me crazy but I think Spurrier is just a little better qualified to decide what he needs than you or I.

BTW. My point is that we can get better talent at WR with a first round pick than somone elses castoff AND (drumroll please) since we have little chance of making the superbowl next year anyway, that young reciever will have a year in Spurriers system so he WILL be ready the following year when we may be ready to make a run. It's called a long term plan. Something this team has been lacking of late as we have attempted quick fix after quick fix with less than stelar results.

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

I don't know how much the stats mean, but Gardner and Thompson are having pretty good years given how difficult our QB play has been.

We're got a speed WR, Cliff Russell, coming off IR. I'm not convinced that this is where we need to invest.

If Charles Rogers fell to us, sure. That's not happening and I'm completely opposed to trading up for a certain hold-out. I'm for trading down in the first round.

Maybe we can take the kid out of San Diego State, Tolliver or something.

I agree to those comments!

We're going to get another reciever - count on it.

If you listen to today's press conference at Redskins.com, Spurrier says they want to add a 4.3 guy to the reciever corps. A reporter asked him about Russell and he said some nice things about him, but it was clear that Cliff wasn't the guy he was talking about.

He did say most of this year's WRs will be back and then mentioned that Gardner, Thompson and McCants all have a lot of ability.

Originally posted by Mad Mike

Who made you GM and how much are they paying you? :rolleyes: Call me crazy but I think Spurrier is just a little better qualified to decide what he needs than you or I.

BTW. My point is that we can get better talent at WR with a first round pick than somone elses castoff AND (drumroll please) since we have little chance of making the superbowl next year anyway, that young reciever will have a year in Spurriers system so he WILL be ready the following year when we may be ready to make a run. It's called a long term plan. Something this team has been lacking of late as we have attempted quick fix after quick fix with less than stelar results.

Spurrier is better qualified for these decisions than any of us, so what is your point?

Who says we should sign a cast-off? Don't make assumptions.

A guy like Coles from the Jets or Peerless Price could easily sign elsewhere if they wanted more money. Both players have a ton of potential and would do well across from Gardner. Neither of them are a #1 reciever, but as I said before, Gardner could easily become that with the way he's been progressing.

My point about drafting another young WR, is that we already have a whole bunch of young recievers. We could really use someone who can produce now.

Also, anyone can make the Superbowl next season. Remember the Patriots? They finished a season with a worse record than we will have, and became Superbowl champions a season later. I'm not saying we should go for a quick fix, but we already have developing recievers with talent on this team, I'd rather see our OL addressed(finally!) than another reciever drafted.

In order to make SOS system works and make Thompson/Gardner/McCants better players, we need someone on the other side to blaze down the side lines. Obviously no one on the team fit the bill; that's why we have to either sign a free agent or draft a speedy WR soon. We have big/tall but slow WR at the moment, and if you watch SOS in college, he always has a speedy WR for the occasional bombs and to creat vaccum for the slants to the middle. Trust me, SOS will get one on board either way for next season...

Archived