Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We dont need a top 10 reciever!

Thinking Skins

Originally posted by blakman211

I'm curious to know how Tre has been playing since he came back. I'm hearing all these positive things about him and things like we must sign him, but is he the answer at RG? I know he has the style to play there, but he also has a lot of injury problems and thats a concern of mine. I'd rather he be a backup than a starter. So that means that we are in need of 2 guards next year right?

Tre has definitely played well enough to warrant bringing him back next year to compete for a job.

Kenny Watson actually leads the team in YAC - 252 yds. He ranks 50th in the league. Rod Gardner has 242.

Marvin Harrison is 18th in the league in YAC. Does that make him the 18th best receiver? Not hardly.

Only Terrell Owens, Hines Ward and Koren Robinson are WRs in the the top 10 in YAC.

Those are the stats. So what do they mean?

1. RBs get most of their receiving yardage as YAC since they are often dumpoffs or screen passes. With a reasonable number of receptions their total YAC will be high.

2. A system will make alot of difference in YAC. The WCO is set up to throw shorter passes with the intent of getting YAC. Jerry Rice has been the showcase of that.

3. Other systems like the Rams and Spurrier's throw the ball to spots downfield more and get fewer YAC.

4. Another interesting stat is that for each reception, Marvin Harrison averages only 2.9 YAC. If I can get a receiver like MH who gets open consistently and a QB like PM that can hit him downfield consistently - I'd be a happy guy.

Archived