Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Sports Nation: 7-10 Redskin Tidbits

bubba9497

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=16487

click link for full article

Jason (Denver, CO): REDSKIN QUESTION!!!!! In the weak NFC is unreasonable to believe the Redskins will get a wild card spot, w/their running back depth and the strength of their offense?

SportsNation Eric Edholm: I have yet to write off the Redskins. For all the talk of how far the defense fell, we must remember that the team was fourth in rushing yards, fifth in fewest sacks, 10th in yards per pass play and first in fewest turnovers committed. Those are very good places to start. And that was with a QB change, no Portis and half a Santana Moss. I see better things happening, and I think the RB tandem will be hard to stop. Look for Betts to catch somewhere around 50-60 passes this season in an intriguing role, but Portis should be the bellcow runner. They'll be interesting, I'll say that.

Zack, South Carolina: Does another losing season in Washington get Gibbs fired, if he dosen't retire?

SportsNation Eric Edholm: Great question to end on. Gibbs intends to honor his deal, but would Snyder fire him? If they go 7-9 or worse, you'd have to say it's a strong possibility. Everything fell right the year they won 11 games, but nothing else would have since or before. They have updated the offense, paid for the richest coaching staff in history for any sport, spent money on the free agent market .. they have done some extreme things, but the biggest failure has been of Gibbs as a president. Usually, coaches retire from the coaching part and move into the front office; we could see the other part happen. I think if they ever got a personnel guy in there to run the show and not give away draft picks like bank calendars, they could build a roster and some real depth. They have great talent for their starters, but the reserves would not make most other clubs.

Im not so sure i agree with the last statement. Our reserves are people like Macklin, Stoutmire, PP, Betts, Blaylock, among others. Now, granted they may not be able to make another team as a starter, but as a back up role, I like our reserves better then a lot of other teams reserves.

we were actually 3rd in fewest sacks allowed, he forgot 8th in yards per rush, 14th in total offense :)

if the Defense can return to a top half unit

:fingersx:

You beat me to it Bubba. I was gonna almost the same exact thing. We on the same page I see. :laugh:

we were actually 3rd in fewest sacks allowed, he forgot 8th in yards per rush, 14th in total offense :)

:fingersx:

We have the talent and numbers to prove that we can be a dominant team in the league . . . Like Bubba rightly put :fingersx:

Having my fingers crossed is the story of my life as a skins fan . . . lol

Oh . . . and this one - :doh:

And this one - :whoknows:

Man I love these things

Danny wouldn't fire JG if he caught him sleeping with his wife.
:laugh: Well put. Gibbs will leave on his own terms, bottom line. Gibbs is too much of a legend, and Snyder doesn't have enough public support in D.C. to pull a move like that. Gibbs is Snyder's hero, it just ain't happening until Joe says so.

i know its a crappy reason but our injuries killed us last year, we are just as few healthy starters away from returning to the playoffs. And as far as depth, our secondary has 5 starting corners and great depth at S. Our LBs are in great shape too with Marshall able to float to all 3 spots.

Zack, South Carolina: Does another losing season in Washington get Gibbs fired, if he dosen't retire?

SportsNation Eric Edholm: Great question to end on. Gibbs intends to honor his deal, but would Snyder fire him? If they go 7-9 or worse, you'd have to say it's a strong possibility. Everything fell right the year they won 11 games, but nothing else would have since or before. They have updated the offense, paid for the richest coaching staff in history for any sport, spent money on the free agent market .. they have done some extreme things, but the biggest failure has been of Gibbs as a president. Usually, coaches retire from the coaching part and move into the front office; we could see the other part happen. I think if they ever got a personnel guy in there to run the show and not give away draft picks like bank calendars, they could build a roster and some real depth. They have great talent for their starters, but the reserves would not make most other clubs.

I think if the writer was paying attention he would see that the Skins are adding depth and not throwing away draft picks.The team has good depth in many areas and I would venture to say that not many, if any team in the league that has depth at every position.

Danny wouldn't fire JG if he caught him sleeping with his wife.

Snyders married??? :readnews:

Naw, but seriously the skins are very good on paper which translates into pretty good in stats. Problem is football is so much more than stats, and Gibbs has to make sure the Skins are in perfect positions to turn good stats into wins on the field.

It's ironic that Williams thought Gibbs was killing him with a "high school offense" only to kill the team himself with terrible defense last year. The offensive numbers were strong last year. Get that defense playing even adequately and we will roll off some wins.

Archived