Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beer Prices Come To A Head; Ethanol Blamed

China

Beer Prices Come To A Head; Ethanol Blamed

LANCASTER, Pa. -- It's the latest example of the trickle-down economics of ethanol -- beer is getting more expensive.

Compared to this time last year, beer prices are up about 3 percent across the nation, according to the Labor Department. The increase marks the largest jump in more than two years.

One big reason, according to some brewers, is the rising cost of barley. A high demand for corn-based ethanol has many farmers devoting more fields to their corn crop and less to barley.

That has impacted many beer makers, including the Lancaster Brewing Company, which had to raise some prices earlier this year. The cases it sells to distributors went up 50 cents.

But the brewery said so far it hasn't had to hike the price of beer sold at its bar. But it isn't ruling out an increase next year.

Click on the link for the full article

I've actually been reading about home-brewing and have been thinking about trying it...how did yours turn out?

I used to homebrew a lot, when I was single and had the kitchen space. It is a nice thing to do when you are a beer lover. The nice thing about it is that you can make the process as simple or as complicated as you want.

To get back to the subject, tho, I wouldn't be surprised if prices for the homebrewer also increase. (Not to mention the hops problem that happened a few months ago in Washington state...)

Jason

I used to homebrew a lot, when I was single and had the kitchen space. It is a nice thing to do when you are a beer lover. The nice thing about it is that you can make the process as simple or as complicated as you want.

To get back to the subject, tho, I wouldn't be surprised if prices for the homebrewer also increase. (Not to mention the hops problem that happened a few months ago in Washington state...)

Jason

I'm still looking into it, I may PM you soon with some questions.

Ethanol is the politician's biggest scam. Uses more energy than it creates, creates more net pollution and smog than it "reduces", and drives up the price of food pushing more people below the poverty line, especially south of the border. But as long as the first primary is in Iowa, don't expect anyone to come to their senses anytime soon... :doh:

• 4 months later...

Another article on the topic:

Shortage of beer ingredients may mean higher prices

By SHANNON DININNY

The Associated Press

SUNNYSIDE — Fans of Snipes Mountain Brewery's cloudy Hefeweizen relish the subtle wheat flavor of the bright, summery brew, and like beer drinkers everywhere, they know when their favorite brew tastes a little too hoppy or bitter.

Connoisseurs could be in for a surprise this year, and they may not be alone.

Small brewers from Australia to Oregon face the daunting prospect of tweaking their recipes or experimenting less with new brews thanks to a worldwide shortage of one key beer ingredient and rising prices for others.

Oh, and one other thing: Beer prices are likely to climb. How high is anybody's guess. Craft brewers don't have the means to hedge against rising prices, like their industrial rivals.

"I'm guessing, at a minimum, at least a 10 percent jump in beer prices for the average consumer before the end of the year," said Terry Butler, brewmaster at central Washington's Snipes Mountain.

Sales have been relatively flat in recent years among the country's big three brewers — Anheuser-Busch Cos., Molson Coors Brewing Co. and SABMiller PLC. unit Miller Brewing Co — while small, independent brewers have experienced tremendous growth. The craft brewing industry experienced a 12 percent increase by volume in 2006, with 6.7 million barrels of beer. Sales among microbreweries, which produce less than 15,000 barrels per year, grew 16 percent in 2006.

Now the bright spot in the brewing industry is facing mounting costs on nearly every front. Fuel, aluminum and glass prices have been going up quickly over a period of several years. Barley and wheat prices have skyrocketed as more farmers plant corn to meet increasing demand for ethanol, while others plant feed crops to replace acres lost to corn.

Click on the link for the full article

Just another reason to brew your own.
since you need the same raw ingredients to home brew i think the howe brew prices would go up too.the brewery i work at is buying all the barley and hops we can right now.last year was bad for european hops due to bad weather,we can barely get any german hops and thats all we use.we're hating it right now

Archived