Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Why Does Everybody Think The Redskins Are Going To Be Worse This Year."

zCommander

More than half the league has a "?" at QB.

:laugh:

And if you throw injury into the discussion, then ALL teams have a ? because not many teams have a capable backup. The ones that do are guys like Tom Brady that nobody knows about.

I'd venture to say that there are fewer teams actually secure at QB compared to the Redskins, than those who aren't.

New England, Indy, Jets, Cincy, Baltimore, St. Louis, and New Orleans are pretty much the teams I view that have a proven QB. Everyone else is pretty much in the same boat that we are.

:)

Vince Young and JC cant be compared.

Vince Young has done alot more than JC.

He did better then expected.

OMG in heaven, I am so sorry that I even brought Young's name up. :laugh:

I was never comparing Young to Campbell. My original point was simply that Young started out as a unproven QB in the NFL also. So, if Kretz had used his same (unproven QB) theory with the Titans going into the 06 season as he is now using with the Redskins going into the 07 season, he would have ended up looking like a jackass.

The bottomline to my original quote is...Kretz's theory is flawed.

Edit: Somebody, anybody, please let me know that you understand what it is that I am trying to say. :(

Yes! Thank goodness. :D:cheers:

You know the guy is full of it when he starts his answer the way he did.

"..... poised to give the job to JC....."

This guy must be behind the times because last I checked the job was Campbell's heading into 2007.

You know the guy is full of it when he starts his answer the way he did.

"..... poised to give the job to JC....."

This guy must be behind the times because last I checked the job was Campbell's heading into 2007.

:laugh: Good point. I didn't even pick up on that.

He won some games and made some first downs by his feet. Yes, he can run. But his passing stats were terrible and were far behind even JC's. You can only go so far on your feet alone. Ask Vick.

OMG in heaven, I am so sorry that I even brought Young's name up. :laugh:

I was never comparing Young to Campbell. My original point was simply that Young started out as a unproven QB in the NFL also. So, if Kretz had used his same (unproven QB) theory with the Titans going into the 06 season as he is now using with the Redskins going into the 07 season, he would have ended up looking like a jackass.

The bottomline to my original quote is...Kretz's theory is flawed.

Edit: Somebody, anybody, please let me know that you understand what it is that I am trying to say. :(

Yes and everyone said Young was going to stink and not pan out for a few years. Young played fairly well and can even improve.

Campbell has been around for a while though.

I'm not sure how anyone can say the Skins will be worse this year, they were HORRIBLE imo last year, in many respects, and have upgraded or are about as good at every position as last yr, with the exception of DL. Like someone else said, I don't see how the skins will be worse than 5-11.

I also don't understand how anyone can say JC might be the problem with the Skins. He looked damn composed and played solidly for being his first year starting. I mean hell, did he not see Brunell play at QB? :laugh: Brunell's arm has clearly gotten alot weaker, and he shows no desire to make a tough throw (maybe his arm is the issue also) down the field. Now, I don't think an all out gunslinger like farve is what we want, but JC clearly shows that he can make some tough throws, which is necessary. Heck, just the fact that JC can actually throw an out route and have it completed and/or not get the receiver creamed is a big plus. IMO, this means the Skins should at LEAST do a little better than last season.

Is that a bigger stage than the national championship?

TheFan

Neither is it the mere pittance you seem to want to make it out to be. Yeah I can see folks figuring we'd be about the same but to assume worse now that he has some actual NFL game experience and having an entire offseason to work with the 1st team offense as the No.1 QB to me is the height of foolishiness. How can more experience = worse off? Use your head. If you don't you might as well have an arse on both ends.

VY looks like a QB with a serious face. JC looks like a push over. So in another words he doesn't look confident to these analysts. To be honest I felt the same as well when I first saw him.

But we know he can throw and is confident, hopefully he won't chicken out like MB and throw to sidelines more then down the field.

:titansuck :titansuck:titansuck

Honestly, I don't think the Jason Campbell factor is going to be as big of an issue this season as it will be come 2008/09/10. Lets face it, our coaches are not stupid, they are going to avoid putting the game in Campbell's hands at all costs. Sure, at times he will need to step up and prove he is THE MAN, but I honestly think the running game production is going to affect our W/L record a lot more then Campbell. Once Campbell has a season or two under his belt, he will THEN be more expected to carry the load.

In the NFL as a QB... I don't think so .... he, Young, is exciting because he is unpredictable , he can move the ball with his feet 500 yards ad 8 TD cannot be sniffed at but the thrid worse qb rating in NFL the worst passing percentage in the NFL and the fact he threw for 13 inteceptions put the ball on the ground 11 times cannot be dissmissed either ...between them Brunell and Campbell only had 10 interceptions and 6 fumbles

The titans as a team went 8-8 and Young did well to lead them back from 0-5 admiral but ultimatly pointless and proves very little considering the division they are in.

I know its off topic but I was just saying

How is the reasoning sound?

First of all, JC didn't even play for more than half of the season for us last season. So why even bother putting Campbell's name in the same sentence with "and the team sucked last year?"

Because the writer mentioned JC, that's why. He's right. We have an unproven QB on a team that was not good. JC was a part of the team that was not good. He went 2 - 5 as the starter. That's not good. Put those together and we have an unproven QB on a team that was not good. It's not like Brunell was 3 - 6 and JC was 6 -1 or something you know. Having an unproven QB is, to me, a valid reason for predicting a poor season for a team that won 5 games last year.

Also, was there optimism for the Titans before the 06 season started? Of course there is optimism now in Tennessee; Young just got done playing 16 games for them. But we are not even discussing a proven QB. We were discussing Kretz's theory that because we have a unproven QB is the reason why we will do worse than last year. IMO that's just a silly theory.

No. I mean optimism now because of how the Titans did when no one expected them to be any good last year. Everyone thought they would be terrible before last year, but they weren't.

Again, for someone who is giving an unbiased opinion about a team, I think it's valid to question how well a team will do based on having an unproven QB on a team that was 5 - 11 last year.

If we were 5 - 11 last year with Brunell at the helm all season long, I still think most people would have us being worse or about the same as last year, but you're not going to get many people to stick their necks on the line and predict a 5 - 11 team will be significantly better with a QB who started 7 games.

Like I said, I disagree with him, but having an unproven QB on a team that won 5 games the year before isn't going to get many people exited about a big turnaround. If JC proves himself this year, the analysis will be different.

Hail,

H

:2cents:

The Redskins will only be better if every player on the team perform better.

JC doesnt have to be stelar,he has a great offensive line,2 great backs to hand off to that should set up for AWSOME play-action plays.

I think/hope/pray that special teams is really kicking this year.We NEED good filed position and points wouldnt hert either.

The defense is the key,I for one am holding my breath hoping they improve.

I'm really worried about Smoot.I think he got too much attention playing opposite of Champ Baily.

I never felt it was the D-lins fault last year as much as I do blame the secondary.

You can't blitz when you need zone to cover.:helmet:

PS:

How much longer do I have to be known as the water boy?

No. I mean optimism now because of how the Titans did when no one expected them to be any good last year. Everyone thought they would be terrible before last year, but they weren't.
You are saying it yourself in your own quote that people were predicting that the Titans would not do well in the 06 season. And the people who were doing that were all probably basing their predictions on the same theory that Kretz is; the theory that a team is going to do bad because of starting a unproven QB. Now, because everyone based their predictions using that theory, they all ended up looking foolish.
Again, for someone who is giving an unbiased opinion about a team, I think it's valid to question how well a team will do based on having an unproven QB on a team that was 5 - 11 last year.

If we were 5 - 11 last year with Brunell at the helm all season long, I still think most people would have us being worse or about the same as last year, but you're not going to get many people to stick their necks on the line and predict a 5 - 11 team will be significantly better with a QB who started 7 games.

Like I said, I disagree with him, but having an unproven QB on a team that won 5 games the year before isn't going to get many people exited about a big turnaround. If JC proves himself this year, the analysis will be different.

Hail,

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, after seeing how the Titans season went last year and knowing that offenses alone don't win and lose seasons, I just don't understand how you could continue to believe that Kertz's reason for predicting a worse season for the Redskins is reliable. Anyone who thinks that our defense has not gotten at the very least a little better, is crazy. And with the return of Clinton Portis, our offense definitely isn't any worse.

His prediction was just stupid.

Eli was unproven after his minimal starts his rookie season...yet that didn't stop anyone from proclaiming faith in his abilities for the following season. Many picked the Giants to improve, with some picking them to win the division. Guess what: they did both.

I HIGHLY doubt picking the Skins to do worse this season is due simply to Campbell's limited experience...most of these guys will put their faith in their favorite college players or in their favorite NFL teams (or both), and let that alone dictate how they predict a certain team to do. It's honestly nothing more than that.

And for the record, it is extremely rare for a team that finishes 5-11 (or worse), to have an even worse record the next season. So predicting that a team that played badly will play even worse the next year is NEVER based on anything realistic, logical or factual.

And you based your comments on what?

Let's look at the Raiders for example for the past 5 years:

11-5 in 2002

4-12 in 2003

5-11 in 2004

4-12 in 2005

2-14 in 2006

So you are right the Raiders have done better in the last 3 years.:doh:

I'm glad you posed this question because I was about to start a thread yesterday about comments from Adam "The Tool" Schein on Sirius NFL Radio. He said he doesn't think the Redskins will win 8 games. What a fruitcake! Keep drinking the Haterade dude. Keep drinking it.

Lets face it, our coaches are not stupid, they are going to avoid putting the game in Campbell's hands at all costs. Sure, at times he will need to step up and prove he is THE MAN, but I honestly think the running game production is going to affect our W/L record a lot more then Campbell.

Mike, I agree completely and I stated something similar in another post. The coaching staff is going to ease Campbell into the games and put him in good situations by setting up a great running game. Then once it's been established I think we'll see some great play action bombs like we did in 91 :) Well ok maybe not like we did in 91, but Jason can heave that rock!

Archived