Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KC Joyner: Wide Receivers

Eagles_Legendz

Since KC Joyner seems quite popular around here, his breakdown of WRs seems relevant since it includes NFCE players:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=2908843

Underrated wide receivers

Terry Glenn

Terrell Owens gets the most press in Dallas, but the metrics indicate Glenn was the better receiver in 2006, and it wasn't even close. Glenn had the third-best overall YPA, the ninth-best bomb pass YPA and the seventh-best medium pass YPA.

Contrast that with Owens' ranking in overall YPA (40th), bomb pass YPA (37th) and medium pass YPA (34th), and it is clear Glenn is the more consistent and explosive receiver. Owens is still a productive player, as evidenced by his 13 touchdowns, but Glenn is the far more reliable receiver.

Reggie Brown

Donte Stallworth (who left via free agency) and Kevin Curtis (who signed with the Eagles) have received most of the attention in Philadelphia this offseason, but if the 2006 metrics are any indication, the breakout receiver could be Brown. He ranked 12th in the league with a 9.6 YPA last year, putting him in the company of Reggie Wayne and Darrell Jackson.

He also ranked in the top 22 in bomb and deep pass YPA and had the sixth-highest medium pass YPA. Opposing defenses might be paying a lot of attention to Curtis this season, and Brown's metrics indicate he could make them pay for it.

Brown has looked real good since he came into the league... it looks like he will be the focal point at the wr position this year, so it just remains to be seen if he can step up into that role.

Terri Glenn is scared of Taylor so he can be good the other 14 games if he wants

What's the over-under on number of games missed by Terri?

Terry Glenn I like. Reggie Brown I like less.

Eagles receivers have a tendency to look better than they are. I thought Greg Lewis was going to be a good receiver for them. All he turned out to be was below average. Reggie >>Lewis, but still. Not a huge fan.

In his career, Terry Glenn has looked amazing under Parcells...and putrid under anyone else. I don't know if Phillips can keep his motor running.

Brown is developing well...unfortunately. Whether he becomes the consistent go to WR the Ea-girls so desparately covet remains to be seen.

What's the over-under on number of games missed by Terri?

Still on that kick eh? Well here is a nice little tidbit for you. Since 2002 he has missed 11 games. 10 of those were at one time because of a ligament tear in his foot.

In case you're going to play that soft coach card, you might consider that of the seasons where he missed 4 seasons that he missed 6 or more games, only two of them were with a "soft coach" (Caroll). That is unless you consider Belichek soft.

Since 1999 he's had two seasons under 14 games. One for the injury mentioned above, and the other where he was suspended, benched, and doing everything he could to get traded off NE.

The guy had some issues early on but he seems to have turned the corner.

TheFan

I'll say 6 - just to argue. If Landry or Taylor get a good shot on him - 10 :)

Although I do worry about Moss' hammy.

after my own research on this, my 4 game over/under makes sense, but i am off base on Springs and Moss...

Glenn has played in his career in 77% of the games which would translate to 3.68 games missed this season (77% X 16 games) But Springs was at 82% for his carreer and Moss 84%. So i will withdraw my comment for a bonus to miss less games then both Moss and Springs...although as you said, Moss already has a hammy issue.

Torry Holt? Really? Eh!?!? He has one off year. That doesn't make him overated, it makes him prime for a comeback. He was secretly injured as well, but KC's "metrics" don't take into account those kind of things. Sadly, neither does his analysis. :(

The other thing that his "metrics" never take into account is run-blocking, which ironically is the most underated characteristic of a truly great WR.

after my own research on this, my 4 game over/under makes sense, but i am off base on Springs and Moss...

Glenn has played in his career in 77% of the games which would translate to 3.68 games missed this season (77% X 16 games) But Springs was at 82% for his carreer and Moss 84%. So i will withdraw my comment for a bonus to miss less games then both Moss and Springs...although as you said, Moss already has a hammy issue.

Nah, I don't think so, so you're wrong :)

I think Terri Glenn will literally have his face ripped off by Landry and Taylor. Forcing him to miss 8 games... :)

The other thing that his "metrics" never take into account is run-blocking' date=' which ironically is the most underated characteristic of a truly great WR.[/quote']

Good point, Reggie Brown is a tremendous blocking WR.

In his career, Terry Glenn has looked amazing under Parcells...and putrid under anyone else. I don't know if Phillips can keep his motor running.

Brown is developing well...unfortunately. Whether he becomes the consistent go to WR the Ea-girls so desparately covet remains to be seen.

So desperately covet? :laugh: We had the #2 offense in the nfl last season, did you think we had a "go-to" WR then?

It's the WCO people, spread the ball around, no go to guy, keep the D off balance. This isn't rocket science and we aren't in the days of Thrash and Pinkston anymore. The Eagles offense is going to roll this year and if your skins want to beat us you better be putting up 25+ points because that's what it's going to take.

So desperately covet? :laugh: We had the #2 offense in the nfl last season, did you think we had a "go-to" WR then?

It's the WCO people, spread the ball around, no go to guy, keep the D off balance. This isn't rocket science and we aren't in the days of Thrash and Pinkston anymore. The Eagles offense is going to roll this year and if your skins want to beat us you better be putting up 25+ points because that's what it's going to take.

Yeah b.c these performances stay consistent from year to year...Westbrook will stay healthy for 16 games again...Kolb will produce like Garcia, should McNabb go down...again...

Archived