Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colin Cowherd

Birdlives

How does having ExtremeSkins members thinking you're an idiot translate into high ratings and increased popularity? .

Well, it was supposed to be a joke...but if you don't think having more people know your name when you are in the media equals ratings over the long haul, I don't know what to say.

Nobody's going to give respect to the Redskins. They have to ****in' earn it. You guys are acting like we got "shafted" or something last season. We were awful. What? Do expect anyone from the media to pick the SKins to win the NFC East let alone go to the Super Bowl?

Get Real.

At last, another realist in the room.

When you're a talking head, it's simply impossible to have a strong grasp of all the major sports. There isn't enough time in the day to process all the info that it takes to be truly on top of things. This guy probably couldn't tell you anything about Jason Campbell other than that he went to Auburn. He couldn't tell you what his strengths/weaknesses are or why he's down on Campbell if you put a gun to his head. He's just going to regurgitate the media party line - the Skins suck and will never be any good.

Instead of mastering 1 or 2 sports, these guys try to know a little bit about every sport and spread themselves too thin. Whether it's this assclown, Wilbon, Tony K, or any other TV or radio "personality" - they're going to come up short every time. A guy like Mike Francessa seems to have a really good grasp of MLB, NFL, and a pretty good grasp of NCAA football. That's about the most informed guy you will find. He admits he doesn't know much about the NBA, tennis or hockey. I respect that.

Anyone who thinks they can intelligently and originally discuss what's going on in 3 or 4 sports is just a bulls*** artist. Or they are regurgitating someone's opinion.

I like your post and agree. one caveat...Eric Allen is a former NFL'er and should be better informed. JC will be the man.

Nobody's going to give respect to the Redskins. They have to ****in' earn it. You guys are acting like we got "shafted" or something last season. We were awful. What? Do expect anyone from the media to pick the SKins to win the NFC East let alone go to the Super Bowl?

Get Real.

yes and no.

teams make off season moves. they get do get better. analysts should frame their thinking/projections in the context of this change....not just what happened last season. you're painting an extreme case. do you believe it is far-fetched to argue the following: "Should Jason Campbell progress as projected....the off season moves made by the Redskins...especially on defense.....will make them competitive with the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys."

there are realists and irrealists....and everyone in between.

Wilbon and Tony K don't deserve to be in there, in my opinion. They're pretty good at hating on the Redskins for the REAL reasons, and even when they hate on the Skins, it's not because of any pre-conceived biases. And, they criticize the Skins in an intelligent manner. They back their points up with facts, and they would have no problem with praising the Skins if the Skins deserved it.

Reread my post and try to figure out who I am criticizing and for what.

While TK and MW may be in position to intelligently discuss the Skins, that doesn't make their experts when it comes to the NFL. In fact, they are woefully inept when it comes to this sport. It used to be their job to know what was up with the Skins when they were with the Post so I'm not surprised that they are passable when it comes to our team. And they will likely continue to be.

But do you think that when we signed Andre Carter last year that they actually knew much about him? What about when we hired Greg Williams as defensive coordinator? Could they have told us where he coached and how those defensive units fared?

Wilbon seems to have a handle on basketball. TK seems to have a handle on... ummmmmm... pop culture? Just because they can discuss the Skins with some level of understanding doesn't mean they actually follow the NFL all that closely. In fact, due to the nature of their show - they are exhibit A for men who don't actually follow anything all that closely. It's all about being able to come up with a 10 second BS opinion on 40 different topics. There's no substance to anything they say...it's just entertainment. Remember that.

I tune in on occasion to hear any news regarding the NFL.

I also listen to Foxsports, Tony Bruno, TEM and XXXESPN.

I'm on the road a lot for my job.

So really, what's your point?

Other than to make some jack @$$ comment that is.

NFL news and information can be obtained from sources other than radio.

Point is, don't listen if you don't like what he has to say.

Well, it was supposed to be a joke...but if you don't think having more people know your name when you are in the media equals ratings over the long haul, I don't know what to say.

Tons of people know Katie Curic's name, and the ratings for the CBS Evening News have gone into the tank since she took over for Rather. CBS made the same mistake you make, in thinking that name recognition alone will lead to better ratings.

There may be some slight residual ratings boost due to someone stumbling upon his show, recognizing the name, and then staying to see what his show is like...but that could easily be offset by the number of people who tire of his shtick and go elsewhere.

The funny thing is I've never heard of most of these commentators until they say something bad about the Skins and it shows up on here. So, for them, mission accomplished.

The formula:

1. Say something bad about the Skins on national TV. The worse - the better.

2. Wait for extremeskins message board to flood with comments.

3. Watch as familiarity with name cause ratings and popularity to increase.

4. Laugh, and plan next inflammatory comment.

5. Excitedly wait for contract renegotiation.

You are dead on, and Cowheard is not an idiot. He knows how to get people talking about him. He knows we are among the most sensitive and vocal fanbase. By dissing the Skins he got a thread on a message board with over 35,000 members(last I checked). He knows what he is doing.

Besides, I like it better when we are under the radar.

I catch him sometimes on my XM. Isn't he a big Pittsburgh guy? Anyway, he is good at taking apart some callers but when he gets challenged or debated, he is quick to hit the release button. But, it is his show and he always says if you don't like what he has to say, turn to another station. I miss Erik Kuselias being on the Sports Bash, it stinks now but I can tune into Riggo down here now, pretty good listening. His stories are great.

Tons of people know Katie Curic's name, and the ratings for the CBS Evening News have gone into the tank since she took over for Rather. CBS made the same mistake you make, in thinking that name recognition alone will lead to better ratings.

There may be some slight residual ratings boost due to someone stumbling upon his show, recognizing the name, and then staying to see what his show is like...but that could easily be offset by the number of people who tire of his shtick and go elsewhere.

So you are comparing a person who reads the news over a teleprompter to a guy who states his opinion? Besides, Couric has been a well-known name in the business for more than a decade. I'm stating that Cowherd is TRYING to make a name for himseld. COMPLETELY different scenario. In my mind, they aren't even in the same ballpark.

Not to mention people like this KNOW they get more attention when they say crazy things. Do you think Salisbury would even have a job now if he didn't make controversial or even stupid comments? I bet he wouldn't. Or at least he wouldn't be in the spotlight as much.

yes and no.

teams make off season moves. they get do get better. analysts should frame their thinking/projections in the context of this change....not just what happened last season. you're painting an extreme case. do you believe it is far-fetched to argue the following: "Should Jason Campbell progress as projected....the off season moves made by the Redskins...especially on defense.....will make them competitive with the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys."

there are realists and irrealists....and everyone in between.

I agree you with. I think the Redskins offseason was easily the best of the NFC East teams and I think JC is the right man for the job.

My point being is last offseason, less the draft, the Skins made huge moves. Their depth chart, as evaluated by ESPN was TOP 5 in the league! And what did that get them? Nothing. Therefore, there's no basis to equate sold offseason moves and regular season success with this organization.

Don't get me wrong. When I turn on sports radio, I want the media to say great things about the Skins; I really do. However, I've gotten used to the criticism and see zero reason for complaining about it.

Lastly; let's win some games. Let's play to a level where teams come into the game with doubt and fear. Then, and only the, will the skins get that respect.

Today during his section on the NFL with Eric Allen he called the Redskins the worst team in the NFL.

One of his direct comments was:

"Who's going to be their quarterback? Jason Campbell?"

He was outraged that Streit & Smith's guide picked them to go third in the NFC East, but couldn't really back it up.

Did anyone else hear this? I was suprised there wasn't a thread when I did the search.

I noticed he immediately went away from the topic afterward and did not take calls regarding this comment.

Did you really expect him to say we are the best team in the NFL? We drafted 6th for the love of God. There were only 5 worse teams in the league.

We have a bonehead defensive coach that the players hate....and we are starting a green QB with no decent backup.

We have no run defense either.

I hope we go 12-4......but you have to be realistic.

Anyone who thinks they can intelligently and originally discuss what's going on in 3 or 4 sports is just a bulls*** artist. Or they are regurgitating someone's opinion.

I disagree with this comment.

It applies to some, but not to all.

I feel VERY comfortbale that I can cohertently discuss the NFL, MLB, NBA, college football, and college basketball. I know zilch about the NHL.

I think Mike Greenberg is a "talking head" who is well versed in all the major sports-- Mike Wilbon as well.

Colin can be funny when he goes on rants. As for the media picking us low, can you blaime them? I hope the best for our team 16-0, but from a some what unbiased (no view is truely unbiased) view, we were 5-11 last year, didn't make that many moves (which personally I like). So I can easily see someone saying we'd be last in out conference. You really expect them to say we'll win the super bowl every year? Take it with a grain of salt and wait to see how the season plays out, it hasn't even started yet. Now if we are 5-0 and dissing us, then you can complain.

Cowherd follows whatever NFL sportswriters say on his show. This doesn't surprise me. This is the guy who says Art Monk was just a "compiler" and not worthy of a Hall of Fame nod. So if we do well next year then he'll change his tune.

I like his show even if he does say bonehead things. In this case I don't think he was wrong for saying what he said.

He's not an NFL analyst (he brags about how his show does not breakdown games) he just rehashes what the Lenny P types say anyway. We did suck last year guys.

We have a bonehead defensive coach that the players hate....and we are starting a green QB with no decent backup.

The only recent player from our D who ever had anything bad to say about anyone is going to be filling out his retirement papers any day now and have a failed restaurant a year or two from now.

No team in the NFL has a future HoF'er as a backup QB. That's why they're backups and not starters. I'd take Brunell in short periods over many backups.

Archived