Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Kobe Bryant thread

Spaceman Spiff

Love him or hate him, he definitely creates conversation.

And it looks like he could be on the move before the NBA draft next week. Saw on Sportscenter last night where someone (Bucher?) was saying a trade to Chicago could happen.

There's also this, which I heard about on the radio on the way home last night. Not sure how true it is, but it's interesting: http://larrybrownsports.com/2007/06/15/kobe-bryants-bodyguard-patrick-graber-tell-all-book-about-the-rape/

espn has an insider article about his possible destinations. one of the teaser lines mentions gilbert arenas. anyone have insider?

i can't stand kobe bryant. the lakers are in the position they are in because of him, and their willingness to cater to his demands. now that he has hog tied them, he wants out.

Check the Wizards forum for the Kobe/Gil rumor which is absolutely utter garbage. ESPN's Chad Ford must have nothing better to do then make up bull**** that doesn't even make sense.

The Bulls would send Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and P.J. Brown (sign-and-trade) to Washington, and the No. 9 pick to L.A.

The Lakers would send Bryant to Chicago.

The Wizards would send Arenas and Etan Thomas to L.A.

I saw that in the Wiz forum last night. Horrible, horrible trade for the Wiz.

If we were to do it, I hope we wouldn't be stopping our offseason moves at that.... :doh:

It's not even a possibility. It's Chad Ford coming up with crap so he can write an article. When have you known Ernie Grunfeld to get fleeced in a deal?

Psssssst.......

More than two weeks after Kobe Bryant made his trade request to the Lakers, he still wants out, says his agent.

"Kobe's position remains unchanged," Bryant's agent Rob Pelinka told ESPN.com on Friday. "Kobe would like to be moved."

In fact, Kobe met with owner Jerry Buss on Friday and once again voiced his desire to be traded.

The question remains, will the Lakers move him? The head says no. But the scuttlebutt suggests otherwise. A number of GMs and agents around the league seem convinced that he's going to be traded.

The Lakers had strong interest in trading for Jermaine O'Neal before Kobe's trade request. But that interest has cooled since then. Why? The Lakers have been saying that the Pacers' asking price (Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum and the No. 19 pick) is too high. But maybe it's because there's no need to bring in a big-money player like O'Neal and gut the team if Kobe isn't going to be around.

From what I can gather, the Lakers would have two conditions to meet in any Kobe Bryant trade:

1. They want to send him to the Eastern Conference.

2. They need a star player back in return.

The Eastern Conference preference would potentially rule out such places as Phoenix and Golden State, both of which have significant assets and interest.

And, of course, the lack of available stars would rule out just about every team in the East, including the Knicks.

Some East teams lack the star power to bid directly for Bryant. Others have stars that aren't going anywhere.

For instance, the Cavs and Heat have superstars LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, but both are untouchable. Ditto, apparently, for Dwight Howard in Orlando.

Chicago, from what I hear, is Bryant's first preference, and he might be willing to waive his no-trade clause to play there. While the Bulls have lots of assets, such as Ben Gordon, Luol Deng and the No. 9 pick in the draft, that package lacks true star power.

Based on my conversations with various sources around the league, I see two intriguing possibilities if the Lakers are looking for an Eastern Conference star -- the Wizards' Gilbert Arenas and the Celtics' Paul Pierce.

Scenario 1

Arenas isn't Kobe, in talent or stardom. But he is from Los Angeles, he's more than three years younger, he has great magnetism and, like Bryant, he can fill the seats.

With Arenas saying he'll opt out of his contract with Washington next summer, the Wizards might want to start looking at ways to move him now before running the risk of losing him for nothing.

Here's one potential trade, with Bryant headed to Chicago and Arenas to L.A.

The Bulls would send Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and P.J. Brown (sign-and-trade) to Washington, and the No. 9 pick to L.A.

The Wizards would send Arenas and Etan Thomas to L.A.

Under that scenario, which couldn't be completed until mid-July, the Lakers would get a star player (Arenas) and a high draft pick (No. 9) which, I'm told, they'd use to get Yi Jianlian if he's still on the board.

The Bulls would be paying a very high price for Kobe -- two high lottery picks and this year's No. 9. But the Bulls would keep Deng, something they desperately want to do. On the other hand, they still wouldn't have a low-post scorer.

The Wizards would avoid having to break the bank for Arenas next summer, would bring in two very talented young players and would get some serious cap relief down the road.

Scenario 2

A similar trade could work if the Lakers were willing to substitute Boston and Paul Pierce. While Pierce is almost 30 years old, I'm told the Lakers like him -- and he's from L.A. too.

The Bulls would send Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and P.J. Brown (sign-and-trade) to Boston, and the No. 9 pick to L.A.

The Celtics would send Pierce to L.A.

That deal would make the Celtics even younger than they already are, but it would also give them plenty of assets to continue making deals.

espn has an insider article about his possible destinations. one of the teaser lines mentions gilbert arenas. anyone have insider?

i can't stand kobe bryant. the lakers are in the position they are in because of him, and their willingness to cater to his demands. now that he has hog tied them, he wants out.

NO offense but I wish people who don't know what's going on with the lakers would stop bashing Kobe for it.

The lakers are in the position they are in becuase they dismantled a championship team and promised Kobe they would rebuild around him and haven't!! They've given him no one that is of any use at all!! The management and leadership has been completely incompetant!

Listen, If I won three Championships and had my team stripped and than had promises made that I would get really good players put into place around me for another run and it never happened, I would be pissed too!!

I have been a lifelong Laker fan. I happen to side with Kobe on this one. The bottom line is, if you have a player of the caliber of Kobe and you jerk he around and you mismanage geting quality players like you promise to do, you better expect a loser team+losing your all star player too.

There's also this, which I heard about on the radio on the way home last night. Not sure how true it is, but it's interesting: http://larrybrownsports.com/2007/06/15/kobe-bryants-bodyguard-patrick-graber-tell-all-book-about-the-rape/

Dude, look at the comments section. It's a Swiss dude who followed the case on the internet and offered to kill the accuser.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/2503120/detail.html

If I were you, I'd remove that link. It's poppy****. And that's without stating an opinion on the case itself.

Kobe is an absolute clown and he's run that franchise into the ground with his petulance.

So Buss deciding not to re-sign Shaq and practically give him away, then Kupchak trading Butler for KWAME BROWN had nothing to do with it?

Kobe is petulant but unlike Kevin Garnett, Kobe is used to winning and will not sit around and get "McHaled" like KG.

But really, he has not run the Lakers into the ground. Look at Kupchak and Buss for that.

I will be seriously pissed off if Kobe goes to the Bulls. Slightly less so if it involved the Wizards... but only because I still like the Wizards and Ben Gordon is my boy.

I get the distinct feeling that Kobe would turn Chicago from one of the youngest, most balanced, team-oriented group of guys into "The Kobe Show".

What is the deal with the Lakers? Who is in charge of their front office? I see quotes from Dr. Buss, both his sons, both his daughters, Mitch Kupchak, Phil Jackson, Kobe. That team is a disaster. They have been poorly run for years. Even when they were winning titles, you could tell the front office was not doing a good job. Every year they got older with no moves for help. They could never get a decent backup for Shaq. If they deal Kobe now, they better get something good in return, otherwise the most expensive tickets in the league will start to go unsold. I wonder how many stars you'd see in the stands during games when they become the Hawks-west.

NO offense but I wish people who don't know what's going on with the lakers would stop bashing Kobe for it.

The lakers are in the position they are in becuase they dismantled a championship team and promised Kobe they would rebuild around him and haven't!! They've given him no one that is of any use at all!! The management and leadership has been completely incompetant!

Listen, If I won three Championships and had my team stripped and than had promises made that I would get really good players put into place around me for another run and it never happened, I would be pissed too!!

I have been a lifelong Laker fan. I happen to side with Kobe on this one. The bottom line is, if you have a player of the caliber of Kobe and you jerk he around and you mismanage geting quality players like you promise to do, you better expect a loser team+losing your all star player too.

the lakers are in this position, they dismantled this team because of kobe's ego and need to be the man. his salary and selfishness is their downfall.

i was a lifelong lakers fan. i stopped cheering for him the day they chose kobe over phil and shaq, placated him which started the downfall of the franchise. he's reaping what he sowed, and so are the lakers.

So Buss deciding not to re-sign Shaq and practically give him away, then Kupchak trading Butler for KWAME BROWN had nothing to do with it?

Kobe is petulant but unlike Kevin Garnett, Kobe is used to winning and will not sit around and get "McHaled" like KG.

But really, he has not run the Lakers into the ground. Look at Kupchak and Buss for that.

kobe had nothing to do w/ buss not re-signing shaq?

the butler for kwame brown deal i will give you. what a steal for the wiz.

the lakers are in this position, they dismantled this team because of kobe's ego and need to be the man. his salary and selfishness is their downfall.

i was a lifelong lakers fan. i stopped cheering for him the day they chose kobe over phil and shaq, placated him which started the downfall of the franchise. he's reaping what he sowed, and so are the lakers.

Fairweather I see. If Gibbs get fired will you stop cheering for the Redskins too ? :doh:

Anyway, Kobe was a FA and Shaq was demanding a new contract. Choose between the young up and coming superstar or the injury-prone superstar center who cant make a free throw ? Its an easy pick for the future of the franchise. Shaq tried to hold the team hostage, not Kobe.

Now Kobe is frustrated and he isnt free from some blame with the direction this team has gone. But he needs to realize it isnt a quick fix to replace Shaq and some of the others that are no longer Lakers. He is stupid if he thinks he can go to a contender and win another ring right now. Simply because the cost of the trade would likely diminish the teams chances.

Archived