Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Kobe Bryant thread

Spaceman Spiff

Fairweather I see. If Gibbs get fired will you stop cheering for the Redskins too ? :doh:

Anyway, Kobe was a FA and Shaq was demanding a new contract. Choose between the young up and coming superstar or the injury-prone superstar center who cant make a free throw ? Its an easy pick for the future of the franchise. Shaq tried to hold the team hostage, not Kobe.

Now Kobe is frustrated and he isnt free from some blame with the direction this team has gone. But he needs to realize it isnt a quick fix to replace Shaq and some of the others that are no longer Lakers. He is stupid if he thinks he can go to a contender and win another ring right now. Simply because the cost of the trade would likely diminish the teams chances.

do you just take the easiest pot shot and run with it?

it's not fairweather. i was there when sedale threatt was one of the best players. i went through all the lean years, kobe's early years, etc. it had nothing to do with who was coaching the team. i quit rooting for them when they catered to a pampered, self-serving selfish prick. i didn't like the direction of the franchise.

on top of that, i stopped caring much about the nba. :laugh:

at least you admit that kobe isn't without blame in all of this. but i do find it funny when people try to vindicate kobe's actions by saying "which was the better choice, aging shaq or young kobe?"......it shouldn't have to have been a choice. it had to be a choice because kobe is a prick.

do you just take the easiest pot shot and run with it?

it's not fairweather. i was there when sedale threatt was one of the best players. i went through all the lean years, kobe's early years, etc. it had nothing to do with who was coaching the team. i quit rooting for them when they catered to a pampered, self-serving selfish prick. i didn't like the direction of the franchise.

on top of that, i stopped caring much about the nba. :laugh:

at least you admit that kobe isn't without blame in all of this. but i do find it funny when people try to vindicate kobe's actions by saying "which was the better choice, aging shaq or young kobe?"......it shouldn't have to have been a choice. it had to be a choice because kobe is a prick.

Where is the pot shot ? You just stated that you stopped rooting for a team that you were a lifelong fan of based on one decision.

Kobe signs the checks ? When did that start happening ? The franchise made a decision based partially on age.

Not to mention the...Salary Cap. They couldnt afford to sign Shaq to a new deal/extension and re-sign Kobe. If you are mad at anyone for the demise of the Lakers it should be Shaq for asking for a new deal, when he was already getting paid quite handsomely for an injury-prone vet, and knowing that the Lakers were against the cap at that point. Shaq forced the hand of the ownership. They decided it wasnt worth the investment.

Why wouldnt the Wiz be interested in trading for Kobe? I hate to burst some of on heres bubble, but that fact that Gilbert is going to test the open market next season just really throws up a red flag in my book. I dont know about some of you, but i just dont seem him sticking around. I know i know he can sign a longer term deal here with more money right? I think bottom line is that Gilbert along with Kobe want to win, and not only do they want to win, but they want to win a championship. To me if i were the Wiz i would def listen and possibly make the deal like Chad Ford said in his column you miswell get something for him now then let him walk next off-season. At the point the Wiz need to get a big man in the draft, and move foward.

Fairweather I see. If Gibbs get fired will you stop cheering for the Redskins too ? :doh:

Anyway, Kobe was a FA and Shaq was demanding a new contract. Choose between the young up and coming superstar or the injury-prone superstar center who cant make a free throw ? Its an easy pick for the future of the franchise. Shaq tried to hold the team hostage, not Kobe.

Now Kobe is frustrated and he isnt free from some blame with the direction this team has gone. But he needs to realize it isnt a quick fix to replace Shaq and some of the others that are no longer Lakers. He is stupid if he thinks he can go to a contender and win another ring right now. Simply because the cost of the trade would likely diminish the teams chances.

I largely argee with what you said. However, They have had almost 5 years to rebuild the team, but as I said, management has screwed the pooch with the people they have selected to surround Kobe.

Rather than getting guys who can play right now and help out, they go get young unexperienced players who don't know what end is up and it shows.

About the arguement about Kobe being ego driven. Dont forget about Jordon. I think every great player is. A few interviews I saw with Jordon he sounded just like Kobe. Jordon always wanted the ball too, cuase deep down he knew he could win the game. I don't see it as a character flaw, but as an asset and a key to greatness!!

Kobe is the best shooting guard in the game right now.

I can't imagine what he could do on a team like the Suns where there would be a good cast of talent around him.

When these Kobe rumors first started I secretly wished that the Suns would trade Marion and a draft pick for Kobe. Then we'd have three superstars, a natural PG in Nash, a true shooting guard in Kobe (a position the Suns have used players who wouldn't even start on any other team) and one of the better power forwards in the game in Amare. Problem is, the Suns really need another big man, not necessarily the best guard in the NBA.

It sure wouldn't hurt, though.

:D

Where is the pot shot ?

fairweather fan is a pot shot. i am not a fair weather fan. the lakers are the only team that i have ever liked that i stopped liking. yes, it was based largely on one decision, but it really seemed as if kobe bryant was calling the shots. he should not be.

You just stated that you stopped rooting for a team that you were a lifelong fan of based on one decision.

Kobe signs the checks ? When did that start happening ? The franchise made a decision based partially on age.

Not to mention the...Salary Cap. They couldnt afford to sign Shaq to a new deal/extension and re-sign Kobe. If you are mad at anyone for the demise of the Lakers it should be Shaq for asking for a new deal, when he was already getting paid quite handsomely for an injury-prone vet, and knowing that the Lakers were against the cap at that point. Shaq forced the hand of the ownership. They decided it wasnt worth the investment.

a valid point. i still dislike kobe. and to me, the downfall of the lakers rests more on his shoulders than anyone else.

the lakers are in this position, they dismantled this team because of kobe's ego and need to be the man. his salary and selfishness is their downfall.

i was a lifelong lakers fan. i stopped cheering for him the day they chose kobe over phil and shaq, placated him which started the downfall of the franchise. he's reaping what he sowed, and so are the lakers.

The idea that Kobe forced Shaq out of town is completely unsubstantiated yet has been assumed as fact because a lot of people don't like Kobe. You have absolutely ZERO evidence to back up that claim. Kobe and the Lakers brass have all said repeatedly that it was not Kobe's decision to make and he didn't push for it. Why people still toss that around likes it's fact, I'll never know because it's never been even close to a fact. It's never been more than a guess.

Nibbs is right, they traded freakin Caron Butler for Kwame Brown. They got Lamar Odom, Mr. Unreliable, for Shaq. They've made bad move after bad move and done nothing to put players around Kobe. They told him they wanted to win right away, now they're "rebuilding" around him. The organization is run like crap. That's all it is but people love to hate Kobe so they'll all pretend like it's so much more than that.

Then we'd have three superstars, a natural PG in Nash, a true shooting guard in Kobe (a position the Suns have used players who wouldn't even start on any other team) and one of the better power forwards in the game in Amare.

I'm pretty sure Raja Bell and Leandro Barbosa could start for a number of other teams in the league.

It's never been more than a guess.

did phil jackson's book have anything rosy to say about kobe? i haven't read it, but i've seen excerpts. maybe you can enlighten me.

Kobe and the Lakers brass have all said repeatedly that it was not Kobe's decision to make and he didn't push for it

yeah, i can see them admitting that now. buss: "as a matter of fact, it was the selfish little **** kobe that forced our hand." :doh:

i liked kobe for a long time. my opinion of him changed over time. he's a grade a *******.

They got Lamar Odom, Mr. Unreliable, for Shaq

hmm....04/05 15/10/4

05/06 15/9/5

06/07 16/10/5

odom is a solid player. the butler deal was awful, but one could argue that butler handn't blossomed yet, and the lakers were desperate for a big man. which leads us full circle. :silly:

hmm....04/05 15/10/4

05/06 15/9/5

06/07 16/10/5

odom is a solid player. the butler deal was awful, but one could argue that butler handn't blossomed yet, and the lakers were desperate for a big man. which leads us full circle. :silly:

Haven't read the book, can't comment on that. As far as Odom, yeah, those are decent numbers BUT he should be getting a deal more as talented as he is and he's just not reliable. He disapears for long stretches and makes a lot of less than smart plays.

And yes, that does bring us full circle. You just showed us how, acting on desperation instead of smarts, the Lakers brass ****ed up and made stupid trades which diminsished the overall talent of the team. ;)

Kobe is an egotistical prick, true. But how can he not be? Just like Lebron right now, Kobe was placed on a platform above everyone else when he came into the league. Of course he's going to develop an ego. Just like Jordan too.

Doesn't hurt when you can back it up, either. :)

I'm pretty sure Raja Bell and Leandro Barbosa could start for a number of other teams in the league.

That's up for debate, actually. Barbosa is a great player, but he's very streaky. I like both those guys, don't get me wrong but Bell could play small fwd in the Suns offense and basically do the same things he does now: defense and shoot 3's. He isn't good at creating his own shot, and without Nash he wouldn't get half the looks he gets now. Barbosa at least can create, but he absolutely sucks on defense, so he's perfect off the bench for scoring only.

The Suns could still use a NATURAL shooting guard or a true center.

Archived