Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who would you rather owned the Redskins?

JC2MOSS

Great post. Remember that Snyder is the man who tried to prevent Redskins fans from walking to the stadium supposedly because of "safety concerns", but it was really because he wanted to force them to park at FedEx Field so he could charge exorbitant parking fees.

Is that the mark of a man who cares about the fans? No, it's the mark of a guy who MAKES MONEY. Until that desire to make money translates into wins on the football field, Snydork deserves all the slings and arrows that come his way.

Exactly. He likes the team, there's no argument about that, but he likes making money off of the team more. Doesn't it kinda worry you that our owner only wants to make money off of the team while simultaneously telling you that he cares about the team more?

Great post. Remember that Snyder is the man who tried to prevent Redskins fans from walking to the stadium supposedly because of "safety concerns", but it was really because he wanted to force them to park at FedEx Field so he could charge exorbitant parking fees.

Is that the mark of a man who cares about the fans? No, it's the mark of a guy who MAKES MONEY. Until that desire to make money translates into wins on the football field, Snydork deserves all the slings and arrows that come his way.

Good point. There is ample evidence that Dan cares more about money than he does about wins or the team's fans. I'm still waiting to hear some evidence to the contrary - evidence that actually shows he cares about the on-field results. We've already established that this coaching staff is a good start, but the results so far don't show it.

Anyone? Bueller?

I wish the Skins were still owned by the Cooke family. They were great owners, and knew how to run the organization.

Like Dan, they spent money when needed - but, the key difference is that they spent it wisely. With Bobby Beathard at the help, they used the draft effectively to get the right talent to plug the holes.

I wish the Skins were still owned by the Cooke family. They were great owners, and knew how to run the organization.

Like Dan, they spent money when needed - but, the key difference is that they spent it wisely. With Bobby Beathard at the help, they used the draft effectively to get the right talent to plug the holes.

Plus the Cookes didn't have the arrogance to believe that they could run the team all by themselves, and had no problem finding guys like Beathard or Casserly to handle most of the football stuff.

Good point. There is ample evidence that Dan cares more about money than he does about wins or the team's fans. I'm still waiting to hear some evidence to the contrary - evidence that actually shows he cares about the on-field results. We've already established that this coaching staff is a good start, but the results so far don't show it.

Anyone? Bueller?

You haven't proven he cares more about money than winning...

The proof that he cares more about winning is in what he pays to bring in the most expensive and experienced coaching staff in the NFL. It's not his fault that the coaches and players let him down every year. He pays players well and also creates an environment where other players want to come here (player perqs, Redskins One, etc). I'd like to see the actual balance sheet, but I would be willing to believe that this team spends more than any other team in the league.

I keep saying this and nobody answers the question: If he cared about money more than winning, he wouldn't be an NFL owner. Why don't you see more billionaires trying to own NFL teams? It's not the cash cow that people make it out to be. If it were, you'd see Warren Buffett lining up for a franchise.

You haven't proven he cares more about money than winning...

The proof that he cares more about winning is in what he pays to bring in the most expensive and experienced coaching staff in the NFL. It's not his fault that the coaches and players let him down every year. He pays players well and also creates an environment where other players want to come here (player perqs, Redskins One, etc). I'd like to see the actual balance sheet, but I would be willing to believe that this team spends more than any other team in the league.

I keep saying this and nobody answers the question: If he cared about money more than winning, he wouldn't be an NFL owner. Why don't you see more billionaires trying to own NFL teams? It's not the cash cow that people make it out to be. If it were, you'd see Warren Buffett lining up for a franchise.

To answer your question for the millionth time: He likes the Redskins. He likes money more. If he can own the Redskins and squeeze every penny in the process, then he'll do it. Which, surprise, is exactly what he's doing.

I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, this is capitalism. But to think that he cares about the Redskins more than he cares about making money off of the Redskins is a joke.

To answer your question for the millionth time: He likes the Redskins. He likes money more. If he can own the Redskins and squeeze every penny in the process, then he'll do it. Which, surprise, is exactly what he's doing.

I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, this is capitalism. But to think that he cares about the Redskins more than he cares about making money off of the Redskins is a joke.

For the millionth time: You are NOT answering the question... Let me state the question AGAIN:

Everyone likes money... But you say he likes money more. I say if he liked money more, he wouldn't own an NFL franchise because he could make a lot more money doing other things with his cash. I've pointed out the debt that he had to go into to purchase the franchise and the stadium and how much he spends on coaches and players.

I'd like to not hear the same response over and over... I'd like you to provide something to back up your statement that he likes the making money more than he likes seeing the Redskins win football games. I've stated the reasons why I think you are wrong. Stop saying I'm wrong and show me why I'm wrong. I'll be more than happy to listen to someone who makes a good case.

Jim Isray (he hung out with Hunter S. Thompson for God's sake)

Some more interesting facts about Jim Irsay:

1) He was the youngest owner in NFL history when he became the owner at 37.

2) He's a legacy owner. (His father was the previous owner.)

3) His team went 3-13 his first year as owner' date=' so he hired Bill Polian (then a four-time winner of NFL exec of the year award) from the Panthers to be his GM, [u']despite having GM experience himself.[/u] Polian selects Peyton Manning with #1 draft pick in 1998 draft and the team went 31-32 over the next 4 seasons.

4) After 6-10 2001 season, team hires Tony Dungy to be head coach in 2002 and they go 60-20 over next 5 yrs, never suffer a season worse than 10-6, and win last season's SB.

5) Owns the NFL's 22nd most valuable franchise.

Some more interesting facts about Jim Irsay:

1) He was the youngest owner in NFL history when he became the owner at 37.

2) He's a legacy owner. (His father was the previous owner.)

3) His team went 3-13 his first year as owner, so he hired Bill Polian (then a four-time winner of NFL exec of the year award) from the Panthers to be his GM, despite having GM experience himself. Polian selects Peyton Manning with #1 draft pick in 1998 draft and the team went 31-32 over the next 4 seasons.

4) After 6-10 2001 season, team hires Tony Dungy to be head coach in 2002 and they go 60-20 over next 5 yrs, never suffer a season worse than 10-6, and win last season's SB.

5) Owns the NFL's 22nd most valuable franchise.

Another interesting fact and a reason why Jim Irsay would be a stupid choice:

1) The Colts were moved by this family once, so I imagine he wouldn't feel any remorse if he had to move the team again.

2) Jim Irsay allowed rumors to circulate about the possibility of moving the team to Los Angeles in 2002.

Another interesting fact and a reason why Jim Irsay would be a stupid choice:

1) The Colts were moved by this family once, so I imagine he wouldn't feel any remorse if he had to move the team again.

2) Jim Irsay allowed rumors to circulate about the possibility of moving the team to Los Angeles in 2002.

1. Jim Isray personally called people in Baltimore after the move to apologize.

2. Every owner threatens to move when trying to get a stadium deal. Hell, the Rooneys floated the idea of moving the Steelers up the PA Turnpike or even into Ohio.

ME :)

the Dan

BINGO! As yet another sign of getting older............I have transitioned from daydreaming about being the starting MLB of the Skins to being the owner!

Every fantasy about winning the lottery involves winning / earning enough money to buy out DS as the owner.

Sans THAT happening - DS is the man, and I'll continue to support him!

HAIL!

I'd like to not hear the same response over and over... I'd like you to provide something to back up your statement that he likes the making money more than he likes seeing the Redskins win football games. I've stated the reasons why I think you are wrong. Stop saying I'm wrong and show me why I'm wrong. I'll be more than happy to listen to someone who makes a good case.

So we are going to keep going back and forth trying to decide what Dan's major motivation is? How can any one of us truly know? All I can point to is the win/loss record and the fact that profits keep increasing. And I bet he sleeps pretty well at night knowing this. All you point to is that he can make more money doing something else. Like owning a business that almost anyone would LOVE to own and make $108 million annual profit isn't motivation enough. With that kind of income, who needs wins?

And I bet you he wouldn't trade a year of his profits for a Super Bowl victory.

Richie Rich and Vinny have accumulated a record of failure. When are we the fans going to wake up, and not let our blind allegiance to the franchise get in the way of reality. The win loss record, the free agent busts, wasted cap dollars on has beens, the trading away of draft choices,

So we are going to keep going back and forth trying to decide what Dan's major motivation is? How can any one of us truly know?

You start with the question "how can anyone truly know?", then you continue with the same dull criticism. I suppose there are some who will automatically assume the worst of anyone, especially if they make money. I consider it a horrible accusation to make: that Dan Snyder is really only in this for the money, that he doesn't care about wins/losses as long as his bottom-line interest is met...

If you don't believe you can prove it, then you really shouldn't be labeling anyone in such a way.

1) I believe the $108M is split at least 4 ways (possibly 5). A few years ago, a 20% stake in the team was sold to pay off the debt on the franchise. He has at least 2 other family members who are part owners also.

2) The season before, they didn't make nearly that much (I think it was less than $60M), so it makes you wonder what exactly happened to cause the $108M increase in operating income (wasn't the increase in ticket prices, to be sure). It really would help if there were more public information available on this.

3) I didn't see his name on the Forbes 400 Richest Americans list (and quite a few other NFL owners are).

4) I don't believe what he charges most fans to see the game to be unreasonable, and it's within the same range as most other teams.

5) Blame JKC if you feel the stadium isn't so accessible.

You start with the question "how can anyone truly know?", then you continue with the same dull criticism. I suppose there are some who will automatically assume the worst of anyone, especially if they make money. I consider it a horrible accusation to make: that Dan Snyder is really only in this for the money, that he doesn't care about wins/losses as long as his bottom-line interest is met...

If you don't believe you can prove it, then you really shouldn't be labeling anyone in such a way.

Are you serious? I just stated that none of us truly know what his motivations are. And my 'dull criticism' can be backed up with more evidence that your 'he is not in it for the money' argument.

My side: He makes a lot of money, wins less games than he loses.

That is a fact, based on actual results.

Your side: He could make more money doing something else.

Sure, it's probable, but he could also make less. No business is a guarantee. Look at Six Flags. Besides, this doesn't go towards proving anything on your side of the argument.

So, who wins? Since this is a discussion based on personal feelings, I would guess no one. My feelings will stay the same until his team starts winning on a consistent basis. What will change yours? I guess 8 years just isn't enough time for ya...

Archived